Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Right well ive been using the opt overclock file for a day now, i queried the cpu speed and it was consistently in the 600000's, so it was definately working, UI does seem snappier, but not really something to make me say wow =P, probably because i had the 2 speed patches as well. Most apps open in a second or two id say now, music app no longer stutters the whole UI, Animations and more smoother, and my contacts now all load! no waiting for 'Loading' sign now.

Battery is better, but im a heavy user so will have to report back in a few days with daily usage to see how it fairs. Phone is alot cooler too, but not sure if its a placebo effect or not.

Oh btw, this isnt overclocking, the OMAP processor in the Pre was designed to work at 600mhz so theres 'no harm' in it, but apprantly its been underclocked for a reason, so well see. Theres always warranty if things go wrong =P
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 11/18/2009 at 06:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Oh btw, this isnt overclocking, the OMAP processor in the Pre was designed to work at 600mhz so theres 'no harm' in it, but apprantly its been underclocked for a reason, so well see. Theres always warranty if things go wrong =P
    "There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz."

Quoted by: Brain_ReCall

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    "There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz."

Quoted by: Brain_ReCall
    Hmmm thanks for that, reverted back to 500mhz but with smatreflex on, will see if the advantage outweighs the risk.
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    1)Yes, type "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" and it will display how long the CPU spends in each frequency.

2)Yup, just delete the file and reboot. Once you reboot it will change everything back to default values
    Kind of a newbie question....but how do you delete the file once it's installed?

Thanks
    I think in quick install, there is a delete file option
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

Thanks!!! I'll give it a try.
    I definitely recommend the overclock file....it make the Pre lovable!
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Is there a way to tell if it was deleted?
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    I definitely recommend the overclock file....it make the Pre lovable!
    What about what everyone else says about it potentially killing the Pre? I'd love to have more speed but not if it will kill my Pre.
    honestly, I dont know...and really dont care.

I overclock my home PCs all the time, and if it works (stable) and the speed gains are there, I'd stick with it

This would not "kill" the pre in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    honestly, I dont know...and really dont care.

I overclock my home PCs all the time, and if it works (stable) and the speed gains are there, I'd stick with it

This would not "kill" the pre in my opinion.
    Thanks....I appreciate it. I'll give it a try see if it helps.
    report back, I'd like to know how it works out for you.

fyi: I've done it on 3 of our Pre's so far...for mine its been about 14+ hours of testing, for the other 2, today is their first "real" work day perfoirmance test.

I will see if they have any complaints by the end of the day, heh
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    report back, I'd like to know how it works out for you.

fyi: I've done it on 3 of our Pre's so far...for mine its been about 14+ hours of testing, for the other 2, today is their first "real" work day perfoirmance test.

I will see if they have any complaints by the end of the day, heh
    How was the battery life? I will fully charge mine now and see how it works out tonight at work.

Thanks,

Scott
    honestly, didnt pay attention to battery...as I was youtubing and sprnt naving (trying to purposely crash my Palm Pre/ test for stability)...

I can give you a better battery assesment tonight, but I have a 2600 seidio, so battery to me stopped being an issue.

Now I just want speed/performance
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    honestly, didnt pay attention to battery...as I was youtubing and sprnt naving (trying to purposely crash my Palm Pre/ test for stability)...

I can give you a better battery assesment tonight, but I have a 2600 seidio, so battery to me stopped being an issue.

Now I just want speed/performance
    So far my phone seems to lag a little. I'll post more info tomorrow. Thanks again!
    I'm about 6 hours into my day so far with opt-overclock... As stands, my DPH is looking wonderful, and the speed boost is splendid.

I'll update with details by days end.
    what is DPH?

drainage per hour?
    Last edited by trim81; 11/18/2009 at 01:53 PM.
    what is DPH?

drainage per hour?
    Yeah sorry, too hip for my own good O_O.

I'll give a little update on how things look here, just in case i wipe my battery data...

opt-overclock installed: Battery Results on 30 minute interval

My run time is a bit over 7 hours. I spent the first 2-3 hours of my day with wifi off, and in roaming... Normally that cooks my battery a fair bit, but today for whatever reason, I was till probably at about 90 percent.

DPH: 3.5

After I got to work, I enable wifi. I'd say my usage today is moderate to above average in terms of texting, with a hint of slam-browsing, and 20 or so minutes of phoen calls.

DPH: 5.28
    Remaining life: 12.49

Overall... this is fantastic. I rocked the 600hz for awhile back in the day ,and the phone was a bit faster, but too hot to handle. Now, i notice 0 heat difference, my battery life (with a combination of 600+reflex) appears to be above stock, and I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by FuManChuu; 11/18/2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Meh, deleting the file still keeps my pre at 600mhz even after a reboot =/.

Decided to put the opt-overclock back on, coupled with the lower swap and too many cards patches, wow the pre is fast!

Glad i revived this thread for the 1.3.1 update =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Meh, deleting the file still keeps my pre at 600mhz even after a reboot =/.

Decided to put the opt-overclock back on, coupled with the lower swap and too many cards patches, wow the pre is fast!

Glad i revived this thread for the 1.3.1 update =P
    I'm also running lower swap, but what are you talking about with "too many cards patches"?
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging