Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I can't believe how much smoother this is at 600mhz. Scaling doesn't work though.
    dumb question: what does scaling do?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    put it in low power mode when hte screen is off.
    AHHHH you mean cpu-scaling.. brain fart for a moment

**The patch that jhoff provided has smartrelex, is that not the same/

Anyhow, I applied the file...it does seem snappier, but not sure if its all in my mind.

I ran the line/command to see the frequncy, etc etc, but not sure to see if my file installed properly

***edit: spoke too soon, ran pandora for 5 minutes, then opened up Twee....the phoen locked up (with overclocking file)
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I used jhoffs scropt, but it doesnr appear to scale though. It I'd snappier thoug.
    I've got SmartReflex turned on, and have all day. My clock is still set to the stock 500mHz.

So I've been running BatteryMonitor for 3 hours (2 hours before that but I accidentally made the back gesture and erased the data.

I have it set to only take readings every hour, because I figure the less often it takes readings, the less the app itself will have an effect on battery. So, with only 3 readings taken, this is not even close to reliable data yet. Right now it's telling me it's draining about 3.32 percent per hour, for a remaining life of 19.85 hours. The initial battery percentage was 76% when I first started testing, and it's now 66%. This is with AIM, Yahoo, and Gtalk connected, Twee checking every 15 minutes, Top Stocks updating every ten seconds, and the calendar and my email open (with email from a Gmail account, and an IMAP account, both set to check as items arrive).

This three hours isn't enough data to go by yet, so I'll update later tonight when there's more data, but so far it's been helpful. I've just been using my normal daily usage of the Pre, so it seems like maybe a bigger improvement than I realized, but again I'll have to wait for more data and see. In other words, take those results with a grain of salt.

As for if anyone is putting a service together, I don't think so.

The original app in this thread was written by clipcarl, who from my understanding switched to Android, so I don't think he's doing it. And the other native options that don't require another app, I doubt anyone is doing a service for them either.
    I used jhoffs scropt, but it doesnr appear to scale though. It I'd snappier thoug.
    No, the one I posted sets the clock to 600mHz all the time, but uses SmartReflex to save battery. SmartReflex is technology from TI built into the chip, which is supposed to lower voltages dynamically whenever possible.
    jhoff80, you have some crazy battery life. My phone spends 9% per hour with no IM while idle. I used to get 2-3% on my first Pre, but now I'm on my 3rd and it sucks. Weird how I have been using the same battery too.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    If my phone is going to explode in 6 months, I would appreciate it if someone from Palm would post here and say so.

Otherwise I would want a warranty replacement, thanks.
    Explode, no. Overclocked CPUs usually die with a whimper. Possibly one day it would lock up and never boot back up.

And I think you can safely assume overclocking is definitely one of the things not covered by the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    jhoff80, you have some crazy battery life. My phone spends 9% per hour with no IM while idle. I used to get 2-3% on my first Pre, but now I'm on my 3rd and it sucks. Weird how I have been using the same battery too.
    Well again, thats testing today with SmartReflex on, on Wifi most of the day, and a very small sample size.
    the overclocking file from jhoff is INDEEED snappy as hell (love it)

but it crashed running Pandora and opening up Twee

Can someone replicate this?
    For the record, it's not really my script, it's the person at the original page's.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    the overclocking file from jhoff is INDEEED snappy as hell (love it)

but it crashed running Pandora and opening up Twee

Can someone replicate this?
    pandora and twee work just fine here.
    update: I *THINK* my problem was due to me moving Pandora with mvapp...

I moved pandora back to the original location, and now it works fine.

Pre seems stable thus far (1 hour) with 600mhz overclock.

this is noticable faster...sweeeet!

Question: is 600mhz the most allowable overclock?
    After 6 hours (started at 76%, showing 5.49 % drain per hour, with 43% battery remaining), with 7.83 hours remaining.

Again, this is with SmartReflex on, but clocked at the stock 500mHz. After 4 hours, I turned off Wifi to see how it handled that. Everything else is still running as before. I had to close everything but BatteryMonitor once and then reopen it again because I was getting the Too Many Cards error, but that's about it. My brightness is also down to the lowest setting possible without the hack (so it's at 10).

I haven't had too many emails today though, but still, this is a pretty big improvement it seems. And I have no idea how they changed things, but this is definitely rock-solid (for me) where it had been completely unstable before.
    jhoff: what did your battery end at 76%
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    jhoff: what did your battery end at 76%
    I started testing at 76%, that's all. I had initially attempted to start testing earlier in the day when it was at a higher percentage, but I accidentally back gestured out of the view in BatteryMonitor, which cleared all previous data.

Edit: Another update on this- went from 76% to 22% in 9 hours, with a 5.98% drain per hour, and 4 more hours left. Based on the 5.98% per hour, means about 16 hours battery life (if I'd started at 100%) with SmartReflex on (again, 500mHz), which is definitely more than I got from stock. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets turned on by default in a future update to webOS. I haven't seen any cons to this this time around, and it only helps.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/18/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    okay, 5 hours + on the overclokc file...

dude this is FAST and STABLE!!!

loving this mod
    I've installed opt-overclock... Long day of class and work tomorrow... Will run battermon and report results. As stands, 600 and smart is so much nicer in 1.3.1 than previous builds.
    I have had patches in the git repo for both smartreflex and cpu-scaling for aa while but it has not shown up in the feeds.

I'll go ping dbschooner to push it through. Stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    I have had patches in the git repo for both smartreflex and cpu-scaling for aa while but it has not shown up in the feeds.

I'll go ping dbschooner to push it through. Stay tuned.
    While you're at it, I personally suggest a SmartReflex patch that doesn't overclock, because while the speed increase would be nice, battery is my biggest issue with the Pre. I think there must be others who feel the same.

Oh, and make sure to have warnings in huge letters not to do SmartReflex and CPU scaling at the same time.