Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    I like to try this as well....is it noticeably faster?
    Done a search and read a load of pages in this thread, but it dates quite back so im guessing methods are outdated for this, is there a simple amenable patch for enabling smartreflex and/or 600mhz?

Seen this on WebOS internals to enable smartreflex:

root@castle:/sys/power# echo -n 1 > ./sr_vdd1_autocomp
    root@castle:/sys/power# echo -n 1 > ./sr_vdd2_autocomp

Can this be done through WOSQI? Does it need rooting? Sorry i aint too technically minded =P

Also seen this: _http://blog.noinc.com/2009/06/19/how-to-overclock-your-palm-pre-and-enable-the-ti-omap3430-smartreflex-mode/

Second one overclocks the processor and enables smartreflex, though overclocking decreases the CPU life?

How would i go about this? Would really appreciate some guidance, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Done a search and read a load of pages in this thread, but it dates quite back so im guessing methods are outdated for this, is there a simple amenable patch for enabling smartreflex and/or 600mhz?

Seen this on WebOS internals to enable smartreflex:

root@castle:/sys/power# echo -n 1 > ./sr_vdd1_autocomp
    root@castle:/sys/power# echo -n 1 > ./sr_vdd2_autocomp

Can this be done through WOSQI? Does it need rooting? Sorry i aint too technically minded =P

Also seen this: _http://blog.noinc.com/2009/06/19/how-to-overclock-your-palm-pre-and-enable-the-ti-omap3430-smartreflex-mode/

Second one overclocks the processor and enables smartreflex, though overclocking decreases the CPU life?

How would i go about this? Would really appreciate some guidance, thanks.
    WebOS Quick Install has a command line feature now that will do the job. The commands provided would only enable smartreflex for that session. It would be disabled once you reboot, so you need to implement a script.

Overclocking (or technically clocking the Pre to it's designed speed) would increase the responsiveness of the Pre, but will decrease battery life since it requires more energy to power. This should not decrease the lifespan of the CPU since it was designed for 600mHz speeds, but apparently there is a reason why Palm has it underclocked.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    WebOS Quick Install has a command line feature now that will do the job. The commands provided would only enable smartreflex for that session. It would be disabled once you reboot, so you need to implement a script.

Overclocking (or technically clocking the Pre to it's designed speed) would increase the responsiveness of the Pre, but will decrease battery life since it requires more energy to power. This should not decrease the lifespan of the CPU since it was designed for 600mHz speeds, but apparently there is a reason why Palm has it underclocked.
    Thanks for that, im going to try doing the command line first just to see if there are any noticeable benefits of smartreflex, if there arent will simply reboot.

Tried using WOSQI, but having a few problems executing root@castle:/sys/power# echo -n 1 > ./sr_vdd1_autocomp

At first it said /sys/power# not found, fair enough, bearing in mind this is my first time on a Linux command line, i tried;

root@castle
    mount / -oremount,rw
    cd /sys

Now what do i do? When i try pasting the command in its saying cant find power#? Thanks in advance.
    Edit: Scratch the above

1. root your pre & login… mount -o remount,rw /
    2. make a file in /etc/event.d named something you like (like “opt-overclock”)
    3. put this code in it:

----------------------------------------------------

# -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    description "Overclock to 600MHz + SmartReflex"
    author "Alex Markson"
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script
    # SmartReflex
    # "SmartReflex™ driver allows for auto-compensation of VDD1 and
    # VDD2 voltages (around the voltages specified by current OPP)
    # by analyzing the silicon characteristics, temperature, voltage etc"

# Enable SmartReflex
    echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp

# according to the OEM shell script in /etc/miniboot.sh
    # this seems like it needs to be set twice to make sure ?
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

---------------------------------------------------

How would i go around this?
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 11/17/2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    How do you make a file? Can you use vim? If so, then how do you copy/paste into the terminal?

Thanks.
    Okay, so here's the thing: putting that script in event.d makes it start every single time that you reboot. Personally, I wanted to make sure it was stable before having it run at startup every single time that I reboot the phone. (aka, I didn't want it starting up on its own if my phone crashed from it).

I personally just edited the files through WinSCP. However, you definitely need to remount the filesystem first.

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    I also am not overclocking to 600mHz at the current time. If you wanted to test that, then you'd do similar with a few extra lines:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    If you wanted it to run at startup, you need to make the script file as mentioned above. However, it also needs to have unix formatting (Windows and Linux do the end of each line differently). Because of this, I've attached the scripts done properly that you can just send over to the Pre. opt-overclock will do BOTH overclock to 600mHz, and SmartReflex, it's the exact script from the website quoted above. opt-smartreflex will only do SmartReflex.

Pick whichever one you want to use (I suggest only after making sure they're stable), and

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Then, send the file to /etc/event.d/ using webOS Quick Install, and remount the filesystem as read-only:

Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    I haven't noticed any major battery life changes using this, but today is the first I'm really testing it during an actual day.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wow thanks jhoff80, that really helps alot, will be trying this shortly when im back home

One Q however, pardon my ignorance, but can the same result be achieved through terminal app direct on the pre?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    yes, but iti s a huge pain typing it all out by hand.
    jhoff: please confirm your findins today.

I REALLLYY want to overclock the cpu...don't really mind on battery life.

can someone whose overclocked on 1.3.1 state if there are any differences?
    I'm running ClipCarl's script with WebOS 1.3.1

I'm getting great UI performance using these variables: -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75

As for battery life, I haven't run any tests but I'd say I'm still getting better battery life now than running stock in 1.2
    before I got ahead and do this,

1) is there anyway to see if the actual overclock work after the install?

2) to uninstall...simply delete the file, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    before I got ahead and do this,

1) is there anyway to see if the actual overclock work after the install?

2) to uninstall...simply delete the file, yes?
    1)Yes, type "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" and it will display how long the CPU spends in each frequency.

2)Yup, just delete the file and reboot. Once you reboot it will change everything back to default values
    I haven't tried it in 1.3.1, but in earlier webOS versions, carlclip's scripts gave me identical results to what I'm now able to achieve by setting scaling_governor to ondemand. The video gets all messed up, and there can sometimes be issues with MP3 and Pandora playback (especially if playing over A2DP). Worth a shot though.
    great, thanks!

I'm still sketchy to see if overclocking makes a big difference...but I guess the only way to see is to try it out.
    silly question...

this seems like it would be pretty easy to wrap into a service and make a front end application to turn on / off / change settings...

is someone working on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    This should not decrease the lifespan of the CPU since it was designed for 600mHz speeds, but apparently there is a reason why Palm has it underclocked.
    There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    If my phone is going to explode in 6 months, I would appreciate it if someone from Palm would post here and say so.

Otherwise I would want a warranty replacement, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    If my phone is going to explode in 6 months, I would appreciate it if someone from Palm would post here and say so.

Otherwise I would want a warranty replacement, thanks.
    Agreed
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I can't believe how much smoother this is at 600mhz. Scaling doesn't work though.