Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 703
  1. #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Ummmm.... would you redline your car engine and hold it there, hoping it didn't seize? Of course, if you do that you are looking at, at least $2500 for a rebuilt engine. Assuming you have insurance, you are only gambling with $100 if they figure out that you overclocked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Has anyone tried to push it past 600? I am having a really hard time resisting the urge.
    you cant, the kernel doesnt allow it. Max is 600. However samsung and others have the cortex A8 running at 1Ghz so we know it can do more.
  2. #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    you cant, the kernel doesnt allow it. Max is 600. However samsung and others have the cortex A8 running at 1Ghz so we know it can do more.
    1Ghz! What are we doing with a max of 600Mhz? It's an insult I say! An insult!
  3. #463  
    Please forgive the off-topic question, but I know several of you are LINUX savvy... I want to load Peanut LINUX on my old Pentium II laptop, but the only version I can find to download is aLINUX. The download file is 760MB and my CD-R only goes to 700MB. Is there a smaller version that will fit on a standard CD (and where can I find it?)? I don't have a DVD drive in the old laptop, so I can't burn a data DVD.

    Thanks!
  4. #464  
    I have ClipCarl's script working with WebOS 1.2

    I am getting very good UI performance using these variables: -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75

    This is great that its working.
  5. #465  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    you cant, the kernel doesnt allow it. Max is 600. However samsung and others have the cortex A8 running at 1Ghz so we know it can do more.
    Yes, Coretex A8 architecture can do more than 1GHz. However, the OMAP 3430 cannot do more than 600MHz.
    Last edited by Brain_ReCall; 09/28/2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  6. #466  
    Any ideas on how to prevent the clock from getting out of tune with real time?
  7. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #467  
    I never had an issue with teh clock. Nor have I had any crashing in the several days that I have been using this, even with the upgrade to 1.2.
  8. #468  
    never a clock problem for me either in about three months.

    however, I can't say I have ever been satisfied with scaling with the screen on. I always notice significant lockups/lagginess. But 550000 with the screen on is great, scaling the rest of the time.
  9. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #469  
    I never used any scaling apps. Just 600 on, 250 off and no problems. Maybe not absolute max battery life, but it has never been an issue for me.
  10. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #470  
    I've been using SmartReflex with CPU set to 550MHz since July and never had many issues. The wife's Pre is bone stock, and with 1.2, both seem much snappier.

    I still get stutters while running at 550MHz and my wife's doesn't seem to stutter much. But it's hard to compare since my Pre has lots of homebrew apps and depending on the which programs were cached, perceived performance can be different.
  11. #471  
    *sigh.. I'm giving this up again. There seems to be something going on that causes stutters not only with Pandora but while playing music in general, especially when the screen comes on.
  12. #472  
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -p 60 80 -M 550000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r

    not scaling down enough.

    600000 0
    550000 727304
    500000 144352
    250000 57480
    125000 274115

    was working all night, and the phone felt warm in my pocket, so I'm still going to investigate and see what if any processes are triggering higher cpu speeds. I might have to do 250 off, 550 on.
  13. #473  
    with webos 1.2.1 the phone definitely is not scaling down enough. perhaps it is the LED tweak, if that is possible, or I don't know. I'm going to have to force minimum at 250000, and see if that works ok.
  14. #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    with webos 1.2.1 the phone definitely is not scaling down enough. perhaps it is the LED tweak, if that is possible, or I don't know. I'm going to have to force minimum at 250000, and see if that works ok.
    Yea, I'm having issues with it too. I'm using "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -p 55 75 -m 125000 -M 600000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r" but it seems like it never detects the screen turning off. It does work though when I turn the lcd off using MyTether which allows wifi to keep working. But it keeps the cpu locked at "-M 600000" when turning the screen off with the power button. Anyone else having this issue?
  15. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #475  
    I haven't been successful with saving battery with this since 1.2.1. For now, i am using Smartreflex
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

    Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
  16. #476  
    Thread hasnt been updated in a while, and i cant seem to find a newer one anywhere.

    So now that WebOS 1.3.1 has been released, any changes with regarding to CPU Scaling? Any more feasible...stable? This seems really promising however, but kind of hit and miss atm.
  17. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #477  
    I don't know about scaling, but I'm having good success with SmartReflex. 1.3.1 seems to have smoothed out the few bumps that annoyed me before with it; now I can run at 600MHz with SmartReflex on and I don't have any issues with the camera. The UI seems much more responsive overall at this speed.
  18. #478  
    After reading the above post, I'm attempting SmartReflex again on 1.3.1 myself (for about 30 minutes now)

    In the past I've had some pretty bad lockups on the Pre when using SmartReflex, but haven't seen anything of the sort yet. I also have no idea how much it's going to affect battery, I'll have to run BatteryMonitor tonight or tomorrow, I guess.
  19. #479  
    To update, I've had SmartReflex on all night, and no crashes like I used to have. That being said, it feels like it's literally doing nothing, it hasn't increased battery life at all that I can tell, so much that I wonder if they might have disabled it altogether, no matter what the file says.

    Edit: Apparently SmartReflex is working. As soon as I tried to do ondemand scaling (not the method in this thread, but setting the governor to "ondemand") at the same time as SmartReflex, it crashed. SmartReflex on its own seems completely stable, but I'm not sure that it's helping my battery. Ondemand scaling is now stable on my Pre, but shows artifacting in videos (I guess it's not aggressive enough to keep up). But they previously both would lock up my Pre after a time, and they seem to be stable now. Palm is definitely making some sort of improvements that are making this more stable (and maybe sometime we'll see it by default in a future version of webOS?)
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/17/2009 at 01:33 AM.
  20. #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I don't know about scaling, but I'm having good success with SmartReflex. 1.3.1 seems to have smoothed out the few bumps that annoyed me before with it; now I can run at 600MHz with SmartReflex on and I don't have any issues with the camera. The UI seems much more responsive overall at this speed.
    Hows battery life with 600mhz with smartreflex? Very tempted to try this myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    To update, I've had SmartReflex on all night, and no crashes like I used to have. That being said, it feels like it's literally doing nothing, it hasn't increased battery life at all that I can tell, so much that I wonder if they might have disabled it altogether, no matter what the file says.

    Edit: Apparently SmartReflex is working. As soon as I tried to do ondemand scaling (not the method in this thread, but setting the governor to "ondemand") at the same time as SmartReflex, it crashed. SmartReflex on its own seems completely stable, but I'm not sure that it's helping my battery. Ondemand scaling is now stable on my Pre, but shows artifacting in videos (I guess it's not aggressive enough to keep up). But they previously both would lock up my Pre after a time, and they seem to be stable now. Palm is definitely making some sort of improvements that are making this more stable (and maybe sometime we'll see it by default in a future version of webOS?)
    Thanks for that, very informative indeed, youve pursuaded me to try smartreflex, ill probably hold off ondemand as im a heavy video user, any difference in battery life as far as you can tell? And are there any real advantages?

Posting Permissions