Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    O.K. So, I think most of us are in agreement that, for the past week or so, battery power has gone down hill and it's most likely software related. I stripped my phone down to NEARLY the original software, and found that my power usage is still terrible.

So, who is using the following configs, and have they helped your power usage?

1) exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 550000 -r -p 55 75

2) exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -r -p 30 60 (UI laggy?)

3) exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 1 -M 600000 -r -p 60 80

4) exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -r -p 30 60
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    O.K. So, I think most of us are in agreement that, for the past week or so, battery power has gone down hill and it's most likely software related. I stripped my phone down to NEARLY the original software, and found that my power usage is still terrible.
    Honestly, don't even bother. I'd bet 1.2 comes out sometime this week, maybe even tomorrow (a total guess, I have no inside information, but with the App Catalog now working on 1.2, it seems possible), and neither the original version nor VitViper's version work on 1.2, according to Elysian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, don't even bother. I'd bet 1.2 comes out sometime this week, maybe even tomorrow (a total guess, I have no inside information, but with the App Catalog now working on 1.2, it seems possible), and neither the original version nor VitViper's version work on 1.2, according to Elysian.
    Great, thanks!
    So, I took off cpu scaling. Has anyone noticed that without it, pretty much all aspects of the UI are sluggish, from the number of times you need to touch an icon to get it to actually register and open, to the pressure you need to use, to the slowness with which it opens?

I'm tempted to put it back on until they finally release 1.2. Then, hopefully, one of the gurus of CPU Scaling, will find a way to scale at that level.

By the way... since this is app driven scaling, is there a way to create a configurable app that can be delivered via File Coaster or WebOS Quick install?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    IM not sure what you mean about no improvement. With smartreflex turned on in 1.2 (just like I did in 1.1) my battery drain at 550 mhz is only 3% per hour while idling... that is amazing compared to the nearly 9% before. Its MUCH better.
    Just ran smartreflex and i'm experiencing improved battery with 1.2. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Just ran smartreflex and i'm experiencing improved battery with 1.2. Thanks!
    Hmm, one thing I never thought to check and maybe I should. My phone was very unstable with SmartReflex on, but maybe I should try it out in 1.2 to see if anything's improved there.

Edit: So much for that theory. Not 15 seconds after I turned it on did my Pre lock up.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Hmm, one thing I never thought to check and maybe I should. My phone was very unstable with SmartReflex on, but maybe I should try it out in 1.2 to see if anything's improved there.

Edit: So much for that theory. Not 15 seconds after I turned it on did my Pre lock up.
    Are sure you took off all other cpu scaling methods? I've been running smartreflex for a couple days and no lockups.
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Are sure you took off all other cpu scaling methods? I've been running smartreflex for a couple days and no lockups.
    Positive. I haven't run any methods since using webOS Doctor on 1.2. And it was just as unstable on 1.1/1.0.4, etc, so it's not just 1.2.
    how can i get 1.2?

I doubt there is going to be any change. The phone is still on the same kernel, I'd assume the smartreflex driver is tied to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    how can i get 1.2?
    Look a couple of pages back.
    Keeping in mind that I have only read the first page of this thread, I installed this yesterday on my and my brother's pre and have found that my clock, and my brother's clock are ahead of time.

Any ideas?

If not, how do I remove this?
    I've never seen the clock times becoming fast. I've always used the settings/files from the OP only using variations of the exec command line.

to remove it, if you put a file in /etc/event.d then move that file out and reboot. if you didn't make a file like that but just passed the exec command on the command line then rebooting should reset the pre to default speed...
    I read through 17 pages and decided to give this a shot.
    Except I used it to clock the screen-on to 600mhz.

Battery life was marginally better and it got a little warm even through my Rocketfish case.
    I did really like the way the UI responded with the extra speed.
    But.. Pandora have a few brief skips at 250mhz with the settings on page one.

I've now changed just so I can get a faster CPU speed with the screen on.
    UI is better than factory and it doesn't get as warm as 600mhz.

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 550000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r
    I've got a radical idea (at least I think it is)... does anyone know how I can re-image my phone back to 1.04 and then turn off automatic update? At 1.04, I got incredible battery performance. I tried to reject the update to 1.1, but didn't know I could actually turn updates off. So, eventually, after about 2 weeks of heading it off at the pass, it got me. From the moment it hit, the only thing I saw was a progressive increase in power consumption. I don't see that any of the benefits of 1.1 or the upcoming 1.2, (which has proven, to the beta testers, to be as much a power hog as 1.1,) outweigh the incredible power hit I have taken. It now takes 2-3 batteries to maintain very minimal usage, whereas I used to do some serious workhorse stuff with only over the course of a 16 hour period, and only used 60% of one battery.

Today, I took my phone off the charger at 7:30am. At about 4 something, my battery was down in the teens. I swapped out, and by 8pm, I was down to 18% again. I barely did anything. I made a one hour call, checked a few emails, made a few quick calls, and shot out some quick texts.

So, forget waiting for 1.2. How do I get back to 1.04 (and shut off my updates?)
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I am using 1.1 and my drain per hour is 4.4% according to Battery Monitor, when the Pre is idle. I have no other apps running, but I get emails "as they come" and have received two emails and one text message.

I am running at 600mhz since last evening and no crashes yet. I also listened to a couple songs on pandora with no skipping.

My charge rate from 21% to 81% was 53%/hour with the wall charger. This is faster than normal, right?
    Last edited by drizek; 09/20/2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    Think i isolated my energy demons. Before I stated that changing from "as items arrive" to 15 minutes fetch" for my email made no change. Well, I changed gmail mail access to "as items arrive" AND my exchange mail access to "10 minute" fetch. HUGE difference! Exchange email "as items arrive" was nuking my battery. as was Gmail fetch mode instead of as "items arrive."

Also, I deleted my gtalk account off the phone , but not gmail. I wanted to be sure it was signed out of the account.

These changes moved me from 10%/hour drain to 3.3%/hr drain. These tests performed with not using the phone at all and with it in 30 second screen lock mode.

Now I am testing what happens when I add my Gtalk account back into the phone but stay signed off. And then a test with gtalk signed on.

Hope this info helps others
    More testing using new Battery Monitor with the above settings:

1) Placed far from AirRave (only 2 bars) -> results above 4% per hour
    2) Placed near my AirRave (5 bars) -> 3% per hour

I also tested turning the cellphone connection off and leaving WiFi on in normal sleep on/off mode. -> 0.3% per hour

I also test turning all the radios off but having BT on -> 0.3% per hour

So my standard config now for max battery for me is:

BT off, Wifi ON, cell connection set to 1XRTT (using ##EVDO# menu), GMail "as arrive", MS Exchange "10 minutes", screen brightness 1 notch above minimum, sleep/screen off mode in 30 seconds. AND running CarlClip's script that scales to/from up to 600 based on load but NOT checking screen state. And no installed GTalk client or any other IM. Instead I access GTalk using Google's gtalk web page. This config yields 3% battery usage/hr with 5 bars on the cell connection. This is using the stock 1150 maH battery.
    There's a new battery monitor?

I undid this tonight ):
    I found that Pandora continued stuttering more than it has been over bluetooth.
    Using headphones it was fine.

Could be something else causing the stuttering. I'll see tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried to push it past 600? I am having a really hard time resisting the urge.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Has anyone tried to push it past 600? I am having a really hard time resisting the urge.
    Ummmm.... would you redline your car engine and hold it there, hoping it didn't seize? Of course, if you do that you are looking at, at least $2500 for a rebuilt engine. Assuming you have insurance, you are only gambling with $100 if they figure out that you overclocked it.