Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Is there a way to edit the script to scale the cpu down to minimum when the pre is on the touchstone?
    Last edited by adactuslatem; 08/26/2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I ran the file again from a command prompt with the same options as others. It completely locked up my Pre. I had to remove the battery and restart the device. I haven't installed any patches that would put Smartflex on the device.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    @Scizzy. I had your EVDO problem once today when I was playing around with the script settings, trying to make it even more responsive. I set the script to -i 1 -r -p 5 85, which increases polling to max and basically whenever any kind of load is put on the cpu it ramps up speed dramatically. After about two minutes of that my EVDO just dropped. As soon as I put it back to my default 15 75 with polling of 1 it started working again. I left it like that and so far all day today it has been working fine. If you run a top command whilst cpu-scaling is enabled and you have the polling set to a very high speed (like 1) you'll notice that either the event.d script that kicks it off or the cpuspeed service itself occasionally will be listed in the top 5 processes. I'm wondering if the device is trying to adjust the cpu speed to fast and that is causing a synch issue or something that drops out the EVDO.

I seem to recall you mentioning in another thread or maybe even earlier in this one that if you set your palm to a static speed of 600 your EVDO doesn't drop. Try running a script with really lax polling settings like -i 20 -r -p 5 50. I know it will flicker and seem very slow when launching apps but try it for a while and see if your EVDO still drops out. From there we can work back to a faster script.

Another thing I did that just so happened to help my device was to open all the cards I normally use on a day to day basis then SSH across Wifi into the device and run a top command. This will show you where your cpu is sitting while idle with all of those cards open, mine happened to be idle around 25% so that is where i set the threshold for the ramp up procedure.

If anyone is particularly good with scripting I wonder if it would be possible to create a script in event.d that monitors the LCD status and either enables 600Mhz and smartreflex on with the screen on or cpu scaling and smart reflex off with the screen off. My main concern would be with the polling issue like described above. You would almost have to create a constant loop that polls the screen status and then determines which power saving mode to apply. Sorry if this has been discussed and disproven before, it was just a thought.

@Scizzy. I also noticed my scaling governer is set to userspace, NOT ondemand. You could try that as well.
    Last edited by y2ktibltd; 08/26/2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: additional comment
    @y2k

Let me first thank you greatly for atleast trying to help. Let me try some things out. Here is a basic rundown. 1st pre worked great with any cpu script or whatever... 2nd pre (current one) hates it.

Even when I first traded out to my 2nd, and brought it home, i did a hard reset... then immediately rooted and installed a cpu script (clips). Rebooted and no evdo. Took it off, rebooted... evdo is back. Even when I manually put in like... echo 550000 or 600000... 2 minutes in... it quits EVDO.

Ill try some things but it doesn't look good. Video playback isn't a huge thing and my battery life is ok as it is now... The main reason for the cpu script is to ramp up the speed just a bit in the ui to make it just that much faster...

Will post back... Feel free to PM me and we can hash this out...

Gonna try to manually echo some speeds and thresholds right now and see what happens
    Ya bud, even with manually entering in echo "550000" and putting in your special exec line... it hates it... both ways. When I go into phone prefs, update network settings, sometimes it will work and then I get my Ev icon back for like 1 min, then it goes away... otherwise its error 1012 all the way..

Gonna love it if/when an update comes to push forth some of this scaling stuff... Guess Ill get a new one on sprint...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    Any ideas what would cause my phone to just lockup? I did a factory reset from WebOS Doctor and it still died.
    Ikyo your phone works without it right? Otherwise I'll feel really bad.

Just out of curiosity when did you buy your pre, I'm thinking earlier ones must have bad cpus
    Ok @y2k... I may have solved it... but not sure...

Right now been running the Cet-cpuscript from the OP and I have EVDO for 10 min...

My first thing I noticed, any command I did prior to installing the script was:

sudo -i

So this time I tried it with my username as root and just typing in sudo before all commands, so right now its all good... time will tell....
    lol.... spoke too soon... damn this bad cpu'd pre
    @y2k...

If you can help, heres the problem narrowed down... Evdo works until my pre's screen times out and its black... once I hit the power button to wake it... EVDO is gone until I work magic to bring it back... then it dies again when the screen turns off...

---any takers... I'd be willing to even make a donation to a paypal account if anyone can fix this
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    What does an ifconfig show when the screen shuts off? Also have you tried the roam only hack? Is your scaling setup as userspace or ondemand?

You may have to install the quilt patch that leaves wifi up when connected through ssh and the screen shuts off to do this. Or you could cheat like I have done and start pandora on wifi then turn the screen off manually. This will keep the wifi up with the screen shut off as well. There has to be a reason why it doesn't work on your device(s).
    Hello everyone. i just got my pre for my birthday(thank you my girlfriend. )
    but my battery life is very bad. i understand that the reason is the cpu is at 500mhz and that's the reason.

i'm not a expert on this but i have already rooted and patched my phone. as for the scaling i'm having a bit of trouble. i looked at the first post and i want to try this but i see that people have problems with it. (correct me if i'm wrong)

is there an updated file that i can use that works with the first post. i just switched over to linux so i'm a noob at it and i don't know how to open up the files to change anything....

i would like it to downclock and work. i like the idea of overclocking but my phone gets hot easy so i don't want to try that yet.

any ideas on the files that i can use?????
    Quote Originally Posted by y2ktibltd View Post
    What does an ifconfig show when the screen shuts off? Also have you tried the roam only hack? Is your scaling setup as userspace or ondemand?

You may have to install the quilt patch that leaves wifi up when connected through ssh and the screen shuts off to do this. Or you could cheat like I have done and start pandora on wifi then turn the screen off manually. This will keep the wifi up with the screen shut off as well. There has to be a reason why it doesn't work on your device(s).
    When I am messing with the linux on the pre, I have it plugged in via usb cable so the wifi is always active. When I run iwconfig... the ppp0 which is EVDO is not found.

Scaling is setup as per the OP's files. I also changed it to the test one on the webos internals, like ondemand and 550000, and that did it as well....

Not sure but its aggravating!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I just got it about a week and a half ago. It should be one of the newer ones.
    I'm having a strange problem wherein I leave the phone overnight (it's been left charging both nights this has happened, but charging via usb on my computer if that makes any difference) and in the morning, it's almost completely unresponsive. I have to try several times to wake it up, and finally it awakens, sluggishly, telling me that memory is critical and I need to remove some cards. The only thing is, there are no cards, and the thing's so unresponsive I couldn't do anything even if there were. I can't even get it to connect to my wifi to ssh in and check what's running.

Could cpuspeed be causing this? My exec line is supposed to run normally when the screen is on, plus I don't know why it would affect memory so much... any ideas?

exec line:
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 550000 -r -p 55 75 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r

I'll try one day without cpuspeed, then if that fixes it, i'll try this one since everyone seems to like it.

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75
    I have had a few lockup issues and have been trying a few different exec's. I just put on a new one and will post as to how that goes. I do have a different question though. I have seen some posts of people's top output, and am curious as to why my LunaSysMgr constantly has over 25% of mem. Cpu usually stays at about 8 or below, but mem is just getting chewed up by it, even when idle. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hmm, I had a really bad lockup this morning. Normally I reboot when I wake up just to get a fresh start, but I decided to investigate. I've got a process called BrowserServer taking up 59 megs, a process called TelephonyInterf taking up 40 and my processer is pegged at 50%. Cpuspeed is only taking 1500 KB, but my phone is locked at 600 MHz with only one card open. The slowness usually happens every morning, but after this reboot I'm still using 137 MBs of memory. I have no clue why this happened this morning only.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    @Scizzy. Try this. Enable scaling through a script in your event.d folder but make the script the following...

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    respawn

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 20 -m 250000 -M 500000

save, make executable, modify permissions, reboot, pray to your gods, etc, etc. This will enable scaling from 250 to 500 but not overclocking. It will run slower but it should be very stable. Try it for a few minutes and see if it drops your EVDO. Basically test to see if scaling being enabled is making your connection drop or if it's the overclocking that is causing the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by y2ktibltd View Post
    @Scizzy. Try this. Enable scaling through a script in your event.d folder but make the script the following...

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    respawn

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 20 -m 250000 -M 500000

save, make executable, modify permissions, reboot, pray to your gods, etc, etc. This will enable scaling from 250 to 500 but not overclocking. It will run slower but it should be very stable. Try it for a few minutes and see if it drops your EVDO. Basically test to see if scaling being enabled is making your connection drop or if it's the overclocking that is causing the issue.

....lol...

no evdo...

damn.... so whats up with my pre?
    Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the exec line to include running the cpu at the min value when it is on the touchstone??
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Im getting high java utilization while the screen is asleep using this script and the default params.

===
    1158 root 20 0 86156 35m 5368 S 36.6 14.9 82:54.31 java