Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I'd love to try this out, but I haven't installed SSH with my rooted Pre. Is there a way to copy these files through the terminal?
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I'd love to try this out, but I haven't installed SSH with my rooted Pre. Is there a way to copy these files through the terminal?
    You could try putting the files on a web or FTP server and using "wget" from the phone's command line to pull down the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    You could try putting the files on a web or FTP server and using "wget" from the phone's command line to pull down the files.
    Or put them on the USB section, and do a mv /media/internal/cpuspeed /opt/sbin/ and similar for the other file.

And to update, I've had Pandora going through my wired headphones for around 45 minutes now with the -i 2 setting, and here are the CPU stats. Seems to be doing its jobs pretty well, (though of course the radios are killing the battery still).

600000 0
    550000 908
    500000 77854
    250000 57476
    125000 176027

I'm at 86% after that time. I don't really have much of a point of reference to compare that back to though, because it's not really my normal use.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Installed it yesterday, no noticable performance differences so far on my end. I'm a converted blackberry user, so the battery life has me concerned. And still in my first 30 day trial period. I've tried the smartreflex before this and didn't think it helped too much.

Anyways, my main uses are: txting, email, talking on the phone, web surfing, listening to music, and now that I'm on sprint for the first time, watching sprint tv (can't wait for football season!) - pretty much in that order. I use my phone for work and am trying to replace my blackberry because of the cheaper plan with more talk time on Sprint.

I love the pre and am hoping a lot of the little bugs get worked out by either palm or you great folks on the forum or on the pre dev wiki. But I have to say with everything the pre can do, even all the small bugs that has me scratching my head, the one thing that is keeping me from giving up my blackberry is the battery life, I'm hoping this works and will report back tonite, after a full day's use on a full charge.

btw I've got gps off and wireless off, I'm on the road and don't use the gps functions very often (I live on an island and it's hard to get lost and am rarely in an area with wifi except for home, and then I'm on my laptop. And I didn't have those on either when I was using smartreflex and ondemand.
    Last edited by 808rides; 07/11/2009 at 06:35 PM.
    I have been using this for a few hours with no obvious adverse affects (so far, so good). Battery life seems marginally better if any. (but at least nothing is broken!) I will keep testing.
    I found this pretty detailed Powerpoint talking about the OMAP 3430 and Linux Power Management. I figured I have very limited knowledge of the details, but if someone here knows about this stuff and would like to take a look, be my guest! It may have some helpful hints about tweaking your app since webOS is Linux.

Direct Download to the Powerpoint:

TI OMAP 3430 and Linux Power Management
  7.    #27  
    I've been playing around with Pandora and unfortunately it's really easy to get it to skip-- even when running at full speed and beyond. I'm really starting to think the problem is with Pandora because it really can't handle even the smallest bit of latency in its scheduling. For now, running with these options seems best (all one line):
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 1 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r -p 10 55
    But it still skips occasionally with the screen off.

Looking at the kernel used on the Pre it's really surprising some of the choices Palm made. For example CONFIG_HZ is set to 100 and CONFIG_PREEMPT is not enabled. Both of those settings would have a negative impact on multimedia applications (like Pandora) as well general interactiveness and the GUI. Makes me wonder if Palm has anyone for them that actually knows about Linux! I'm definitely going to figure out how to install a new kernel soon just so I can see how much improvement a different kernel will make.
    I'll tell you what, so far this method is working great... and if you overclock it to 600, with no scaling while the screen is on... this kiddo gets TOASTY

Probably going to need to put mine back on stock clock :P
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Half day report - so far performance on anything I've done hasn't had a glitch due to the script. (I still have an issue with the phone app being ridiculously slow - I mean it is a phone first) anyways, as far as battery llife goes, it's 2pm and I'm at 70% which is about average. I've had the phone for about 2 weeks now and went through ondemand, which seemed to help, then smartreflex which seemed to perform the same as the ondemand hack, and now this which seems to be about the same. I didn't have issues with the 2 previous hacks and neither with this one.

Is it possible to enable a few of these together? I'm thinking something like this, plus smartreflex would be a good combo? Or ondemand and smartreflex?

BTW I didn't enable overclocking, I just want my battery life longer.
    Last edited by 808rides; 07/11/2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: additional information added
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by 808rides View Post
    Is it possible to enable a few of these together? I'm thinking something like this, plus smartreflex would be a good combo? Or ondemand and smartreflex?

BTW I didn't enable overclocking, I just want my battery life longer.
    Currently, SmartReflex will just plain old crash the Pre.
  11.    #31  
    Streaming music over bluetooth while the screen is off is still problematic. Definitely a problem in Pandora but I also noticed a few glitches in the Music app too. I'll see what I can figure out...
    Worked great... but I'm still having a localized problem. When I do anything with scaling, I lose EV and dont have data unless its wifi. No EV icon and no ota data transmission. When I deleted your scripts and put in the smartflex one, my EV works again on reboot. Dunno whats up with that!
    clipcarl, sent you a pm...
    I've been running SmartReflex for a little more than 24 hours with no apparent loss of stability or performance, and perhaps a bit better battery life. I think it's worth pursuing.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I've been running SmartReflex for a little more than 24 hours with no apparent loss of stability or performance, and perhaps a bit better battery life. I think it's worth pursuing.
    I've had good luck with SmartReflex as well. I've been running it for the last few days and my standby battery is noticeably better. If I use my phone a lot it doesn't seem to make much difference. However, with SmartReflex enabled I have an easier time making it through the whole day with just one charge.
    SmartReflex crashed for me as soon as I put the phone on the Touchstone. This works perfectly.

With this (with the newest version of the command), I took my Pre off the charger at 7:30pm, 5 hours later it has 66% battery. That's with Wifi on, Bluetooth on, AIM and Gtalk connected the whole time, and GPS set to autolocate with Background Collection off.

And it's been 100% stable, unlike both other methods.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yeah... smartflex + cpuspeed == crash & burn.
    I am using wi-fi with pandora, listening over the speaker, (not bluetooth) and I don't have any skips with the screen off. with the screen on, if I go into the launcher screens they lag A LOT when I try to swipe from one to the other. I have about six pages. I don't remember this happening without your script enabled, but I might have never checked. My inclination is that it wasn't like this before, but then again, you know how things are working, and if the screen is on everything is default speeds correct?

I was at work tonight, been running your script for about 24 hours, and didn't notice any problems. only lost about 10% battery through six hours of work, mostly idle, some texting and light web usage. I'm on EV-DO the whole time I'm away from home, with some cuts in service so its good to get that much usage and lose only 10%.

here is my time_in_state
    600000 0
    550000 776
    500000 747470
    250000 89992
    125000 1889807

Thanks for your help, and innovations. I think listening to MP3 at 125000 is really going to help the battery, I would be interested in how that works streaming to bluetooth headphones though, which I plan to get.
    I clocked my command back down from 600 to 500... and lost that little extra unf, but my temps are way down, and battery life at idle is looking sextastic.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    @VitViper - You can only run *1* of the 2 options. CPU scaling or SmartReflex.

That said, I just uploaded patches to the gitorious repo for either method. See pre dev wiki: Applying Patches about how to use patches...

Currently, I'm trying out SmartReflex to see how well it works.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast