Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 703
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    No bueno... same thing. EVDO disappears after a short minute or two, a few clicks of update network settings either shows: cannot update error 1012, or updated successfully.

    After a successful update, evdo returns for another short while then goes away...

    Stock for now... damn
    OK, thanks for the info. I'll put my thinking cap back on but it doesn't look good at this point.
  2.    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Ya, seriously aggravating. What boggles my mind is this; if the rumors are true about the next update to include among other things cpu scaling and such, what will my pre do.

    Will I get a new one because my pre will be dataless.... i wonder...
    It would be nice, but I'm not putting much stock in the rumor that Palm will be turning on CPU scaling. The same unsubstantiated post that claimed they'd be doing it also said that they'd be adding Microsoft ActiveX support and there's no way that will happen. The post smells like BS to me.

    That said, Palm could do it and a lot of other things to improve battery life. I just don't think the source of the rumor has actual credible information.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    ...
    And also, I want to say thanks to Carl and Vit and all the other contributors in this thread group. Your work helped me and I appreciate it.

    George
    No, thank you and everyone else for taking the time to help. Many of you have put as much or more work into testing this as I have.
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Yesterday after trying to figure out why my new one wouldn't run anything with the ondemand governor, I hopped on the webos-internals IRC channel. I brought it up and Giest, who is on Palm's kernel dev team, told me that simply due to small differences in phones, some are fine (my old one) and some (my new one) are totally unstable with the processor scaling.
    ...
    This is strange. This isn't like overclocking where you would expect that. This is completely running the CPU and platform within its specifications. All correctly functioning parts should be able to scale just fine. (I don't know about how the radio fits into the equation, though.)

    It makes me wonder if Palm might be saving a few bucks by buying from TI's reject bin. Maybe they're buying parts that are defective and won't scale as designed but will run stable when locked at 500MHz.
  5. #345  
    After a few days of testing, I have come to the conclusion that Clipcarl's stock patch was stable and efficient for me. With the patch, I only lose 3% battery per hour which is an improvement from my previous 6-7%. I can't seem to wonder why my phone sneaks into the 550 mHz every once in a while.

    600000 0
    550000 979
    500000 1,007,736
    250000 406,054
    125000 0
  6. #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I can't seem to wonder why my phone sneaks into the 550 mHz every once in a while.
    It seems to go to 550mHz on booting, before the standard regulation kicks in and it goes to 500mHz... and then of course after that, clipcarl's program kicks in and it scales even more.
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    It would be nice, but I'm not putting much stock in the rumor that Palm will be turning on CPU scaling. The same unsubstantiated post that claimed they'd be doing it also said that they'd be adding Microsoft ActiveX support and there's no way that will happen. The post smells like BS to me.

    That said, Palm could do it and a lot of other things to improve battery life. I just don't think the source of the rumor has actual credible information.
    this is the kind of stuff that i think was implied by the activex bullet:

    Re: [webkit-dev] Refactoring activex object converting to plugin code?

    just a way to get activex elements to work with webkit and the palm pre.
  8. bspesq's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Hey Clip,
    I am one of a handful of people experiencing EVDO loss. The reason I know this is simple, but maybe a bit hard to explain.

    rebooted and running, while still ssh'd in, i ran :ifconfig ppp0 and it returned showing no device found or something.
    Sorry to jump into this discussion late, but I don't think loss of ppp0 is isloated to clipcarl's script/binary; I've had this same behavior with the MyTether app. It actually happens fairly often to me after quitting MyTether...I've gotten used to just rebooting the durn phone after using MyTether.

    May be a coincidence, or a symptom of some deeper issue in the WebOS code?
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by bspesq View Post
    Sorry to jump into this discussion late, but I don't think loss of ppp0 is isloated to clipcarl's script/binary; I've had this same behavior with the MyTether app. It actually happens fairly often to me after quitting MyTether...I've gotten used to just rebooting the durn phone after using MyTether.

    May be a coincidence, or a symptom of some deeper issue in the WebOS code?

    .....except i dont use mytether... i have no use for it.
  10. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #350  
    Just adding this in case it may help anyone. I am using clipcarl's patch, currently overclocking to 600MHz and everything is stable. On Day 1 (overclocked at 550MHz), I took the phone off the charger at 8am, and with some very light usage (no phone calls, a few text messages, a few emails, a little web browsing), it was dead by midday, which I found odd. When I checked time_in_state, it was working as designed (cpu spent most of its time at 250MHz since the screen was off more often than not). That night, one of the modifications I did was to change the inadyn script from running constantly and updating every hour to the one that runs every time EV-DO connects. Today (Day 2, overclocked to 600MHz), I took the phone off the charger at 8am again, and with moderate usage (a couple 30 minute calls, several text messages, several emails, a bunch of speed tests on the web (I did the "performance updates" I saw posted today, neither did much for me), the phone was down to 5% by 3:30, which is a little better than what I was getting stock. So thank you very much clipcarl and everyone else who helped input/test! The moral of my story is if you have DDNS running all the time, that could potentially be a battery hog...
  11. #351  
    I switched to carl's app at 600mhz, been lockup free since.
  12. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    This is strange. This isn't like overclocking where you would expect that. This is completely running the CPU and platform within its specifications. All correctly functioning parts should be able to scale just fine. (I don't know about how the radio fits into the equation, though.)

    It makes me wonder if Palm might be saving a few bucks by buying from TI's reject bin. Maybe they're buying parts that are defective and won't scale as designed but will run stable when locked at 500MHz.
    That's what confuses me too. It's as if my CPU simply doesn't like scaling. Speed isn't an issue; I can run it at 600MHz without a hitch, aside from the known camera bug. I'm currently running @ 550MHz with SmartReflex enabled, FWIW. It's just that every time my Pre hears the word "ondemand", it locks up.
  13. #353  
    never MIND
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/10/2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: hmm, found another copy of the cet-cpuspeed file under another name... lol
  14. #354  
    So, I dropped my phone and damaged my screen enough to need a replacement. Is there anyway I can go into USB mode and just transfer the whole image from my old phone so I don't have to go through the whole scaling process all over again?

    Also, under 1.1, what is now considered to be the most efficient config?

    Thanks!
  15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So, I dropped my phone and damaged my screen enough to need a replacement. Is there anyway I can go into USB mode and just transfer the whole image from my old phone so I don't have to go through the whole scaling process all over again?
    Yeah, I do it all the time. The script I use to back up /opt and stuff like CPUSpeed is attached. Follow these steps:

    1. Unzip the 'baseline.zip' file so that you have a script file called 'baseline'
    2. Copy the 'baseline' file to your old Pre in USB mode (so that it ends up in /media/internal)
    3. Go to a root shell prompt (Novaterm, SSH or whatever) on the old Pre and run
      sh /media/internal/baseline backup
      This will create the file /media/internal/baseline.tar.gz which will have your backup
    4. Copy the 'baseline' and 'baseline.tar.gz' files to your computer using USB mode, scp or something else.
    5. Activate your new Pre and put it in developer mode
    6. Copy the 'baseline' file and the 'baseline.tar.gz' file to your old Pre in USB mode (so that they end up in /media/internal)
    7. Go to a root shell prompt using Novaterm on the new Pre and run
      sh /media/internal/baseline restore
      This will restore all of your optware files, set up the Pre to mount /opt on boot, ask you to change the root password and reboot your new Pre.

    This will restore optware and all optware packages you had installed. It will also restore your CPUSpeed startup script.

    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Also, under 1.1, what is now considered to be the most efficient config?
    Just use the same config you were using for previous versions of the OS.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16. #356  
    Any updates going on with this mod?


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  17. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #357  
    @ Vitviper,
    I loved your cpu scaling settings but experienced a lockup at least 2 times a day. I was wondering if you are working on a way so it won't lock up. Thanks
  18. #358  
    Just installed, working with original clipcarl script, modified with VitVipers arguments.

    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75

    Working great so far. OS is snappy and responsive, way more so than stock. Battery from what I've seen has gone from a 10% to a 5% per hour drain (still using my gTalk, even being identified as a major drainer). No lockups or freezes seen. No stuttering in video, streaming audio (even when suspended). Absolutely amazed that I can increase overall responsiveness of EVERY aspect of this phone and yet INCREASE battery efficiency. Truly the most impressive hack for this phone.
  19. #359  
  20. Ikyo's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #360  
    K4p, are you still happy with it? I am debating on installing this or not.

Posting Permissions