Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Clip, I'm running your requested exec line. Will test it tonight, just incorporated your code with the script, and its rebooting as we speak...

Test it tonight...
    Sorry to say, VitViper's one locked up my phone (necessitating pulling the battery) twice in 12 hours, so I had to switch back to the regular one.
    No bueno... same thing. EVDO disappears after a short minute or two, a few clicks of update network settings either shows: cannot update error 1012, or updated successfully.

After a successful update, evdo returns for another short while then goes away...

Stock for now... damn
    Interestingly, I have zero lockups or evdo dropouts on my phone . No problems at all running either Carl's or Vit's script and settings. From my previous post you may remember that I decreased battery burn down to 4% an hour and couldn't get lower. But I also have no problems at alland can also run at 550 or 600 with no problems as well.
    Ya, seriously aggravating. What boggles my mind is this; if the rumors are true about the next update to include among other things cpu scaling and such, what will my pre do.

Will I get a new one because my pre will be dataless.... i wonder...
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Odd, I try to get carl's cpuspeed to work but I'm not sure why it's not running. Cet-cpuspeed points to the right directory but I have no clue.

Checking the times in states don't show any changes but when I go back to ondemand and restart. It shows changes in the freq states.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I didn't realize I was "freaking out" about anything and I certainly have no problem with VitViper's patch.

On the other hand I could complain about people who essentially rip off the ideas and progress of others and call it their own...
    through hours of testing i was able to find the ondemand sampling bug and determine how to fix it. I wrote code that utilizes ondemand scaling in a way not to invoke the bug and to still be a responsive phone that saves battery life. I have not ripped off anyone's code. The ondemand scaling govenor was written by some linux guru, i just found good parameters to use it effectively on a Palm Pre and put those parameters into what i was calling my code. See my thread if you are still unclear.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Nope, definitely not referring to you. You've contributed a lot of useful work and ideas! Thank you!
    Good to hear, cause I was about to go O_O lol

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sorry to say, VitViper's one locked up my phone (necessitating pulling the battery) twice in 12 hours, so I had to switch back to the regular one.
    That sucks I haven't had any lock ups in 24 hours. Some phones seem to NOT like SmartFlex at all.

Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    Interestingly, I have zero lockups or evdo dropouts on my phone . No problems at all running either Carl's or Vit's script and settings. From my previous post you may remember that I decreased battery burn down to 4% an hour and couldn't get lower. But I also have no problems at alland can also run at 550 or 600 with no problems as well.
    Sweet! I'm around 2-3% an hour if I just text a couple times and then it's idle dealing with EAS push.
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    That sucks I haven't had any lock ups in 24 hours. Some phones seem to NOT like SmartFlex at all.
    Yeah, that last part definitely describes my phone which when I first tried it (not with your app though) it locked up as soon as I put it onto the Touchstone. Oh well, clipcarl's original version is still working great for me.
    Good to hear, cause I was about to go O_O lol

Sweet! I'm around 2-3% an hour if I just text a couple times and then it's idle dealing with EAS push.
    I haven't had a lockup since the one I previously mentioned, and I bumped up to 600mhz, though I already knew my phone loved 600mhz, I was running 600 with the original cpu-scaling implementation.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I haven't had a lockup since the one I previously mentioned, and I bumped up to 600mhz, though I already knew my phone loved 600mhz, I was running 600 with the original cpu-scaling implementation.
    Your phone doesn't have the camera issue with 600mhz and SmartFlex on?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Due to lockups with Vitvipers script, i was forced to remove it from my phone.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Due to lockups with Vitvipers script, i was forced to remove it from my phone.
    I guess your phone doesn't like SmartFlex either Stick with clipcarl's original binary, it works great and shouldn't have that issue
    Your phone doesn't have the camera issue with 600mhz and SmartFlex on?
    Never had any camera issues, just loaded it up now to check, no problems. I spoke too soon in my previous post though, it locked up again a little while later.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yesterday after trying to figure out why my new one wouldn't run anything with the ondemand governor, I hopped on the webos-internals IRC channel. I brought it up and Giest, who is on Palm's kernel dev team, told me that simply due to small differences in phones, some are fine (my old one) and some (my new one) are totally unstable with the processor scaling.

He also said that (this is according to him!) scaling won't save a significant amount of battery life since it just goes to sleep when the screen is off anyway, and you want it running full speed when it's on.

Hopefully they'll get some sort of more stable features integrated into an update, though. I'm guessing it'll be when they go to a new kernel release.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Yesterday after trying to figure out why my new one wouldn't run anything with the ondemand governor, I hopped on the webos-internals IRC channel. I brought it up and Giest, who is on Palm's kernel dev team, told me that simply due to small differences in phones, some are fine (my old one) and some (my new one) are totally unstable with the processor scaling.

He also said that (this is according to him!) scaling won't save a significant amount of battery life since it just goes to sleep when the screen is off anyway, and you want it running full speed when it's on.

Hopefully they'll get some sort of more stable features integrated into an update, though. I'm guessing it'll be when they go to a new kernel release.
    after lots of experimentation, I can see increased battery life from Carl's and Vit's work for sure. But its not what I initially expected.

I think what is chewing up the battery is not necessarily CPU. I am coming to the conclusion that the radios and radio usage is really what is chewing up the batteries. What do you guys think?

And also, I want to say thanks to Carl and Vit and all the other contributors in this thread group. Your work helped me and I appreciate it.

George
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    after lots of experimentation, I can see increased battery life from Carl's and Vit's work for sure. But its not what I initially expected.
    There is definitely some battery savings using some kind of scaling, or a mix of different scaling options.

I think what is chewing up the battery is not necessarily CPU. I am coming to the conclusion that the radios and radio usage is really what is chewing up the batteries. What do you guys think?
    I don't think there's even any argument about that. The EVDO radio eats battery like a madman, especially if you're in an area that doesn't get full reception. Wifi seems to eat up battery a lot faster on the Pre than it ever did on my iPhone.

And also, I want to say thanks to Carl and Vit and all the other contributors in this thread group. Your work helped me and I appreciate it.

George
    You're welcome.
    There is definitely some battery savings using some kind of scaling, or a mix of different scaling options.

I don't think there's even any argument about that. The EVDO radio eats battery like a madman, especially if you're in an area that doesn't get full reception. Wifi seems to eat up battery a lot faster on the Pre than it ever did on my iPhone.

You're welcome.
    Are you disabling the 3G radio(dropping down to 1X) while using WiFi? If not(via an app), then that would explain why your WiFi seems to eat up battery, the 3G radio is still doing its thing.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Are you disabling the 3G radio(dropping down to 1X) while using WiFi? If not(via an app), then that would explain why your WiFi seems to eat up battery, the 3G radio is still doing its thing.
    Nope, I'm not. Which app is this?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've never heard of that either. Doesn't the phone automatically turn 3G off when it's associated with a wifi router?

@Vitviper, I do think that there are battery savings/optimizations to be had. On my old phone, I noticed a difference while running various power saving schemes, despite what Palm's team may say. The difference wasn't huge, but noticeable and welcome. I'm pretty sure the only reason that they're not implemented by default yet is the stability issue.

Here's to hoping that a kernel will someday have all of the modules to support scaling and SmartReflex!