Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    I've been using the vitviper script, and battery life is great, no video issues, etc, but I am getting random freezing when coming back from sleep... It'll usually freeze a couple seconds after it wakes up, its not more than 1-2x per day, a little annoying, have to pop the battery out to get it to come back. It didn't start until Saturday, I did the vitviper script on Thursday I believe it was.
    I'm having some issues with vitviper script too. Changed the settings to
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r

(still vitviper) - if it doesn't work too well, will try the original cpuspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    @VitViper

hey man can you start your own thread called something like scaling + smartflex. Carl is freaking out about us talking on his thread about either ondemand scaling or smartreflex.
    Not to speak for Carl, but I don't think he cares about vitviper's modification to his application, but the whole point for this thread was that it was different than changing the scaling governor from userspace to ondemand or just turning SmartReflex on all the time, and that's why it's so stable. There have been other threads in the past that dealt more specifically with modifying those files, and discussing them here will just add confusion for something that some people are already having issue with as it is.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    VitViper, I tried running your version last night, and I've got bad news. My phone, at least, didn't like it. Of course, I foolishly put it in a startup script without testing it first, so that was my fault. The end result was a phone that wouldn't boot: wouldn't get past the solid Palm logo. WebOS doctor took care of me. I'll try it again when I get everything back up and running on my phone and see if I have the same problem. This time I'll try it without the startup script so that I have other recovery options!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    VitViper, I tried running your version last night, and I've got bad news. My phone, at least, didn't like it. Of course, I foolishly put it in a startup script without testing it first, so that was my fault. The end result was a phone that wouldn't boot: wouldn't get past the solid Palm logo. WebOS doctor took care of me. I'll try it again when I get everything back up and running on my phone and see if I have the same problem. This time I'll try it without the startup script so that I have other recovery options!
    Mine did this the first time I developed the binary and made a mistake in the event.d script. Not sure why yours did this since I uploaded the correct event.d script.

@Elysian893:
    I know what you're talking about... I've experienced 2 of these lock ups myself in the past 3 days. So the method isn't perfect, but at least my battery doesn't suck down insanely fast. I literally have no time to investigate further right now, I'm just happy it's working better than some of the other methods I've tried. If the leaked info about Palm working on their own scaling is true, we won't need to worry about scaling soon.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I just tried your binary again, VitViper, on my fresh install, and it immediately locks up on me.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I just tried your binary again, VitViper, on my fresh install, and it immediately locks up on me.
    Dang, your phone is protesting
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    Dang, your phone is protesting
    I know, right? I want it to work! Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'm just running the exec string that you have in your vit-cpuspeed script on the command line, since I don't want to put it in an init directory until I know it's working and will at least let the phone boot.

I shouldn't need to do anything else, right? I've tried it at 550 and 500MHz. I've tried backgrounding it or not. It's locked up every time. I shouldn't need to quote any of the arguments, should I?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Here's the string I'm using:

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 500000 -a sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r -p 25 25

Is that correct?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Here's the string I'm using:

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 500000 -a sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r -p 25 25

Is that correct?
    Looks like you're missing '/' before 'sys'? And try "-p 25 55"
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I know, right? I want it to work! Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'm just running the exec string that you have in your vit-cpuspeed script on the command line, since I don't want to put it in an init directory until I know it's working and will at least let the phone boot.

I shouldn't need to do anything else, right? I've tried it at 550 and 500MHz. I've tried backgrounding it or not. It's locked up every time. I shouldn't need to quote any of the arguments, should I?
    You don't need to quote anything. If you're running it from the commandline, don't use "exec", just do /opt/sbin/cpuspeed .....
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The missing / was just a typo, I had it in there. -p 25 55 didn't help any. :/
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Know what, something is screwy with my new phone. They swapped it for me because my old one stopped connecting to the network... turned out it just needed to be programmed manually, but of course they didn't discover that until after they gave me a new one. Apparently the new one has issues: the old one ran clipcarl's script wonderfully, but this new one locks up with either binary I've tried. Grrrrr. I'm gonna wipe it again.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Know what, something is screwy with my new phone. They swapped it for me because my old one stopped connecting to the network... turned out it just needed to be programmed manually, but of course they didn't discover that until after they gave me a new one. Apparently the new one has issues: the old one ran clipcarl's script wonderfully, but this new one locks up with either binary I've tried. Grrrrr. I'm gonna wipe it again.
    Our Pre's are interesting and diverse devices... lol
  15.    #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    @VitViper

hey man can you start your own thread called something like scaling + smartflex. Carl is freaking out about us talking on his thread about either ondemand scaling or smartreflex.

To everyone else, i started an ondemand scaling thread a few days ago so all conversation related to my ondemand scaling codes will be there.

But the bottom line is that Palm saw our work in this forum and IS including scaling into the next update which is comming in the next 40 days (5 days ago). See my thread for more details. Also video recording is coming in that update.
    I didn't realize I was "freaking out" about anything and I certainly have no problem with VitViper's patch.

On the other hand I could complain about people who essentially rip off the ideas and progress of others and call it their own...
    Mine is locking up at random times with VitViper's patch, im going to try the other one and will post results.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    On the other hand I could complain about people who essentially rip off the ideas and progress of others and call it their own...
    I hope you're not referring to me.... I'm in no way saying cpuspeed is mine, I just developed a SmartFlex patch to it and released it into the wild in binary + event.d script and a patch file.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    Mine is locking up at random times with VitViper's patch, im going to try the other one and will post results.
    Looks like we're confirming what I was afraid of... SmartFlex still isn't very stable even when run short periods of time with the screen on. SmartFlex by itself would occasionally lock my Pre up, however when I implemented it with cpuspeed I get much less frequent lock ups. I've only had a couple in the whole time i've been using the program.
  19.    #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I hope you're not referring to me.... I'm in no way saying cpuspeed is mine, I just developed a SmartFlex patch to it and released it into the wild in binary + event.d script and a patch file.
    Nope, definitely not referring to you. You've contributed a lot of useful work and ideas! Thank you!
    You're running the command "chmod +x /opt/sbin/cpuspeec" right?