Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
  1.    #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    This is my 3rd day running Vitviper's settings and my phone has locked up 2 times. The first happened while i was making a call (Went to voicemail and phone was unresponsive). The second happened earlier today while i was typing out a text message. FYI i had a windows mobile phone prior to the pre so its not biggy having to remove battery.
    Ouch. I'll look at his changes and see if there's anything we can try that might make this more stable. Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    How did you know your EVDO connection was gone when the phone was idle? So you are using SmartReflex? Are you using VitViper's modified CPUSpeed binary for this? Can you try with the original CPUSpeed binary (see the first post of this thread) and see if it happens with that too? (Make sure you remove any other scripts that might me scaling the CPU or turning on SmartReflex and reboot the phone.)
    I knew my EVDO was gone because as I was driving to work I wasn't getting any notifications of email, and I get a LOT of email. So when I got to work I tried to check and it said there was no internet connection. I couldn't get a web page to load either. Before this I had been on wifi at my house on the touchstone, so I hadn't noticed. I rebooted the phone, and the connection was there. I got some email and let the phone go to "sleep" and then walked up to my office. Got up there, and bam no more internet. So I switched on wifi and sure enough I had emails and internet worked. I could still make phone calls however, so it was just the data part. I rebooted again and everything was fine until it went idle. As soon as I woke it up I noticed no more EVDO. I also logged in as root and ran ifconfig and didn't see the EVDO connection listed.....

I was using vitviper's stuff, his script and binary. So yes I was using smartreflex as that is enabled in his stuff. I can try with your original binary tomorrow when I am at work. I had removed my other smartreflex script and rebooted before enabling any of this, and that was the only thing I had ever done as far as CPU stuff goes.....
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    @supercluver
    I have had similar behavior, however in my case I lose my ability to to talk to the sprint network. No dial, no data. WiFi only. Since this happens whenever the phone is idle I have surmised that it has to do with setting the minfreq to 125 MHz for "too long" and the phone missing some sort of a heartbeat or something to that effect. Letting the phone come back to 500 MHz gets me a "dial tone" again however when that doesn't immediately work a reboot has always worked so far.
    I experience this with the carl's binary as well was vitviper's but also with just the 'on demand' scaling driver by itself.
    Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a few days and there are about a gazillion new messages. I like it! Thanks for all the testing and suggestions everyone!

Currently, I'm leaning toward setting the default parameters to be
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r
    This locks the processor at 500MHz when the screen is on and 250MHz when the screen is off. This saves battery power but still allows apps like Pandora to work glitch-free even with the screen off. Scaling down to 125MHz might (or might not) save more power but it can causes occasional glitches in these apps.

I'd like to incorporate VitViper's SmartReflex patch but at this point I'm not sure. I like the potential for more power saving but both VitViper and wprater I believe have mentioned (rare?) lockups when using it and that's not something I'm inclined to accept. I would like more people to try out his patched version and pound on it for a long period of time. Please report back here if you experience any lockups (and also if you don't).

I'm concerned about users reporting that they lose network connectivity when the CPU scales down to 250MHz or 125MHz. I believe one person said that they lose EVDO (how do you know?) and another said that they can't receive text messages (can you receive phone calls?) when the CPU scales down to those speeds. This to me is a big problem and I'd like to get as much information as possible from those who have experienced this. Please post exactly how you discovered the problem and what you have done to test it.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Hey Clip,

First of all thanks for all of your hard work your putting forth.

I am one of a handful of people experiencing EVDO loss. The reason I know this is simple, but maybe a bit hard to explain.

Lets just say to start on a clean slate, I Full Erased my phone 2 days ago. Rooted it.

and immediately applied the cpu scaling file to event.d

The phone ran flawlessly until I rebooted it so that the cpuspeed files would take affect. Once the phone was rebooted and running, while still ssh'd in, i ran :ifconfig ppp0 and it returned showing no device found or something.

So I ran some "cat" commands and sure enough the file took and the cpu speeds and such were changed. I proceeded to change the settings to almost stock in the cpu file mainly the max_freq, reboot. same thing.

So I deleted the cpuspeed file and rebooted. SSH'd in and verified that the settings were stock again, ifconfig ppp0, EVDO Is back and running.

As of yet, I haven't found any logs pertaining to EVDO or anything, but then again, I'm a super noob when it comes to linux.

So I tried one more test, again, with my lack of skill in mind. I put in the commands manually without the file. They took, and were running. I kept hitting ifconfig.

PPP0 lasted for approx. 10 min before it lost connection and the "device" was no longer found. I rebooted to return to stock, EVDO is back.

I must say I'm a little peeved since my first pre would take an overclock like an AMD processor, but my new one is so fragile. If thats what is causing it. I really have no idea.

Clip, if you have any idea what it is please help, or if you could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

I haven't done further testing on it as I love my data obviously. But it might be something like when the screen is off and the frequency dips into the 'low' state, is when the evdo looses connection or whatever and just quits. I'm not sure.

Anyways, If I could help in any way by testing somethings, let me know and Ill do my best.

Thanks for the help!
    I also forgot to mention that I can receive calls... but when a cpu script is added, or manually put in and the data is gone (evdo symbol is gone as well), any data app says no connection available.

I also tried putting in one command at a time and it seems that they all work for approximately 10 minutes when manually put in, or if its a script, once the phone is live, no data...
    Plan on testing out the standard Clipcarl .zip patch over the next day or two. I will give you the results soon. I will be following this project closely.
    I tried Carl's first page scaling at 500,000 and 550,000 both caused the
    pre browser to become sluggish and unresponsive. Going back to stock for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Using Vipers binary and params (at 500), Im getting the java usage (20-50%) over evdo connection.

EDIT:
    Looks like the java process is just an issue with ssh connections over EvDO. Does this process stop after you log out?
    I cannot duplicate this. Can you get phone calls when the phone is idle?

After applying the cpu scaling, I exit out of the ssh, reboot the phone, and then go about my day as normal. There are no visual signs that my EVDO connection fails when idle. The only way I know is when I wake the phone up and THEN the text messages start coming in with timestamps stating that they were sent sometime in the past and that I'm only now receiving them because I woke the phone up. I've tested this by having a friend send a text message while my phone was sleeping. I didn't receive the message no matter how long I waited (and yes, I have my notifications on). After a long time of waiting, I would wake the phone up and wait a bit longer. After waking the phone up, THEN the message comes in with the timestamp stating it was from the distant past (the one that says "Message was received on [date] at [time]" or whatever). Phone calls seem to work though.

I then SSH back in after the day is over and check my cpu speeds throughout the day. If I overclocked the max speed to 550mhz, the phone spends almost the entire day in 550mhz (even when idle -- this is not supposed to happen obviously) but still receives EVDO. If I keep the max speed at 500, the phone goes into 125mhz when idle (like it's supposed to), but doesn't receive EVDO. I give up for now .
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinestyle View Post
    After applying the cpu scaling, I exit out of the ssh, reboot the phone, and then go about my day as normal. There are no visual signs that my EVDO connection fails when idle. The only way I know is when I wake the phone up and THEN the text messages start coming in with timestamps stating that they were sent sometime in the past and that I'm only now receiving them because I woke the phone up. I've tested this by having a friend send a text message while my phone was sleeping. I didn't receive the message no matter how long I waited (and yes, I have my notifications on). After a long time of waiting, I would wake the phone up and wait a bit longer. After waking the phone up, THEN the message comes in with the timestamp stating it was from the distant past (the one that says "Message was received on [date] at [time]" or whatever). Phone calls seem to work though.

I then SSH back in after the day is over and check my cpu speeds throughout the day. If I overclocked the max speed to 550mhz, the phone spends almost the entire day in 550mhz (even when idle -- this is not supposed to happen obviously) but still receives EVDO. If I keep the max speed at 500, the phone goes into 125mhz when idle (like it's supposed to), but doesn't receive EVDO. I give up for now .
    It must be a specific problem for you because I just sent myself a text message with Clipcarl's patch, and recieve the visual and sound notification within 10 seconds without waking up the phone.
    right on carl!
  11.    #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    I tried Carl's first page scaling at 500,000 and 550,000 both caused the
    pre browser to become sluggish and unresponsive. Going back to stock for now.
    There is no difference at all running the Pre browser when running CPUSpeed as described in post #1. When you're using the browser obviously the screen is on and when the screen is on the CPU speed is not scaled at all. It runs at exactly the same speed in the same way as the Pre does without it installed. The scaling on takes place when the screen is off.

Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly? If so your problem must have been something else.
    why only switch freq from 250 500 why not from 125 500 or higher?
  13.    #293  
    @supercluver, @scizzy, @mauro1 and @adrenalinestyle:

• I just want to confirm that your problem isn't just EVDO, it's any data connection that goes over the Sprint network including 1xRTT data. In other words when this happens you can't use data over the Sprint at all, correct?
    • I would also like to confirm that when this happens you have to reboot to get data working again. Nothing else gets the data connection going again correct? Does the "Update Network Settings" option in the Phone app's preferences work?
    • How many bars of signal do you all have? Do you have an airave?
    • What are your voice network (roaming) preferences settings? (In Phone app preferences.)
    • What are your data roaming settings? (In Phone app preferences.)
    • Does this happen for you 100% reliably? If you put your phone to sleep for 15 minutes the data connection is always gone, right?
    • Does this happen even if the phone is connected to a computer via USB?
    • Does this happen even if the phone is plugged into the charger or on the touchstone?
    • What other hacks, scripts, patches or homebrew apps are installed on your Pre when you have this problem? Please be thorough.

Please all of you go back to the stock CPUSpeed binary from post #1 and use this start line
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r
    and test again to verify that the problem still occurs.

@supercluver and @scizzy: Can you verifify that you can both make and receive phone calls and text messages when this occurs? Thanks.

@mauro1: Are you saying you cannot make or receive phone calls when this happens? Or just receive? What about text messages?

@adrenalinestyle: Are you saying you cannot send or receive text messages when this happens? Or just receive? What about phone calls?

The problem seems to be more than just data. Phone calls and text messages don't use the data network.
  14.    #294  

• I just want to confirm that your problem isn't just EVDO, it's any data connection that goes over the Sprint network including 1xRTT data. In other words when this happens you can't use data over the Sprint at all, correct?
    • I would also like to confirm that when this happens you have to reboot to get data working again. Nothing else gets the data connection going again correct? Does the "Update Network Settings" option in the Phone app's preferences work?
    • What are your voice network (roaming) preferences settings? (In Phone app preferences.)
    • Does this happen for you 100% reliably? If you put your phone to sleep for 15 minutes the data connection is always gone, right?
    • Does this happen even if the phone is plugged into the charger or on the touchstone?
    • What other hacks, scripts, patches or homebrew apps are installed on your Pre when you have this problem? Please be thorough.

Please all of you go back to the stock CPUSpeed binary from post #1 and use this start line

@supercluver and @scizzy: Can you verifify that you can both make and receive phone calls and text messages when this occurs? Thanks.

@mauro1: Are you saying you cannot make or receive phone calls when this happens? Or just receive? What about text messages?

@adrenalinestyle: Are you saying you cannot send or receive text messages when this happens? Or just receive? What about phone calls?

The problem seems to be more than just data. Phone calls and text messages don't use the data network.

Carl.

Really appreciate the reply.

Let me try to answer one by one. All my data goes out once a cpu mod is implimented. If its a boot script, it occurs once the device boots into the os. I can make calls and receive them without the "evdo/data". I can't use anything data related such as web or accuweather etc. unless connected to wifi.

I have airrave, so my signal is 5 bars at home, and pretty much 3-5 outside anywhere.

Phone settings are as follows: data roaming off. sprint only. I tried automatic and data roaming enabled, no go with that as well.

Update network settings fixed the problem momentarily, if the pre could even manage to update since there is no data. I clicked on it ~7 times and i got evdo back for maybe 30 seconds before it quit again.

Usually it happens when I have it connected via usb for power and so I can monitor it while I'm researching stuff and typing ifconfig into ssh.

I have implimented several cpu mods while its on the TS and same thing, I run to check on it, no data.

My hacks are as follows. The DG guys automatic hacks for email landscape mode, forwarding texts, Displaying state in call log and incoming calls, some homebrew apps (keep in mind that I did do a fresh full erase and the only thing I did before testing was root the pre and install the cpuspeed script)

Again, I can make and receive both texts and calls during this. but I will double check tomorrow. I will also try your script with the new "exec" line tomorrow as its late now.

Thanks again

Will update with the findings tomorrow.

Anything coming to mind?
    I'm starting to wonder: Is there any point really in fiddling with this stuff? The amount of complications seem to make it not worth it really. Or am I missing something here? Are we just doing this for the Lulz?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I'm starting to wonder: Is there any point really in fiddling with this stuff? The amount of complications seem to make it not worth it really. Or am I missing something here? Are we just doing this for the Lulz?
    Well, it works for some people perfectly, myself included (the on-demand governor did not work for me, nor did SmartReflex). If it doesn't work for you, seems like you'll realize it within the first day, and then you can just remove it. But if it works, it's a big help to the battery life of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    YES! YES! YES! NO!

...by scaling (reducing running speed e.g power settings like your laptop) CPU delicately uses same algorthrim as used on unix laptop powersave code clipcarl's will use less energy or battery. I will guarantee you Palm knows it and hasn't worried about it yet! Performance and/or battery life was left behind getting everything we have to date.

clipcarl, vitviper and myself are getting the palm phone to charge less often, by scaling by inc/dec the actual runnning speed based on demand and other passed in vars e.g. the lcd using -a. cpuspeed will just behave like any other laptop system in the end.

If you think this is a bust then wait until Palm gives us kernel options or powersave built devices.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Hi,

Just reinstalled cpuspeed but I'm confused. When I cat for the times in state I still receive the same 500 freq as if it was still stock.

I've already reset and tried starting the program but I've gotten nowhere. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
    This whole thread is about seeing whether CPUSpeed is stable. Both with and without VitViper's patch!
    @VitViper

hey man can you start your own thread called something like scaling + smartflex. Carl is freaking out about us talking on his thread about either ondemand scaling or smartreflex.

To everyone else, i started an ondemand scaling thread a few days ago so all conversation related to my ondemand scaling codes will be there.

But the bottom line is that Palm saw our work in this forum and IS including scaling into the next update which is comming in the next 40 days (5 days ago). See my thread for more details. Also video recording is coming in that update.