Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    Using VitViper code and params, I am noticing 9% battery usage per hour just letting the phone sit there with screen lock/off coming on after 30 seconds.

Bluetooth off, GPS/loc services off, push mail to Exchange and Gmail on with "as items arrive" for both, 4 bars signal strength. No open cards.

I also tried changing the mail delivery for both accounts to "15 minutes fetch." made no difference.

ugh. why are my results so bad?
    Think i isolated my energy demons. Before I stated that changing from "as items arrive" to 15 minutes fetch" for my email made no change. Well, I changed gmail mail access to "as items arrive" AND my exchange mail access to "10 minute" fetch. HUGE difference! Exchange email "as items arrive" was nuking my battery. as was Gmail fetch mode instead of as "items arrive."

Also, I deleted my gtalk account off the phone , but not gmail. I wanted to be sure it was signed out of the account.

These changes moved me from 10%/hour drain to 3.3%/hr drain. These tests performed with not using the phone at all and with it in 30 second screen lock mode.

Now I am testing what happens when I add my Gtalk account back into the phone but stay signed off. And then a test with gtalk signed on.

Hope this info helps others
    for what it's worth:

using the -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel argument within the cet-cpuspeed events.d script will consume the battery dead fast at least for me it does?

If you use it and actaully login and run "ps auxw" you will find your lunamanger and java processes out of control therefore I suggest not adding this parameter to the cet-cpuspeed script.

Currently testing at maximum poll e.g. -i 1 with slightly looser throttles (both -p lowered to 51 71 for my all day testing)

Does anyone else find using the panel for -a cases battery drain?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Using Vitviper's settings, I took my battery off the charger at 5:30AM and was at 10% at 8:30pm. Currently i have 2 Exchange accounts pushing as they arrive and 1 yahoo account that pushes every hour. I made a few quick calls, played a little bit of Block Drop, and texted quite a few. Also, because i get poor service at work, i had my phone on "roam only" for 7 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlemmonrunner View Post
    for what it's worth:

using the -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel argument within the cet-cpuspeed events.d script will consume the battery dead fast at least for me it does?

If you use it and actaully login and run "ps auxw" you will find your lunamanger and java processes out of control therefore I suggest not adding this parameter to the cet-cpuspeed script.

Currently testing at maximum poll e.g. -i 1 with slightly looser throttles (both -p lowered to 51 71 for my all day testing)

I havent found the -a panel to be a noticeable drain. But I also havent isolated it alone to test it.

Also, after 3 days of testing here are my results.

Baseline: BT off, Wifi On, 3-4 signal bars connecting to my Airrave, Palm original battery, no open cards, 1/8 brightness with 30 second lock, GPS and all Loc svcs off. Gmail and exchange accounts set to "as items arrive." Gtalk installed but not signed in. Running Vit-cpuspeed at 500Mhz. And no use at all, so phone shuts LCD and wifi off after 30 secs.
    Result: 8% of battery consumed/hour.

First change: set exchange to "10minute fetch." Result: decreased to 5.5% of batt/hr.

Second change: uninstall Gtalk IM account (not just signedout). Result: decreased to 4% of batt/hr.

Third change: increase Vit-cpuspeed to 550 Mhz. Result: increased to 5% of batt/hr.

I tested for a full day the impace of gtalk offline or singed in. Seemed to make no difference at all. But uninstalling the Gtalk IM account did for sure.

Also, cpu stats in time_in_state indicate 550MHz at 18%, 500MHz at 15%, 250MHz at 15%, 125MHz at 52%.

Ok. enough testing for me for awhile
    I havent found the -a panel to be a noticeable drain. But I also havent isolated it alone to test it.

Baseline: BT off, Wifi On, 3-4 signal bars connecting to my Airrave, Palm original battery, no open cards, 1/8 brightness with 30 second lock, GPS and all Loc svcs off. Gmail and exchange accounts set to "as items arrive." Gtalk installed but not signed in. Running Vit-cpuspeed at 500Mhz. And no use at all, so phone shuts LCD and wifi off after 30 secs.

First change: set exchange to "10minute fetch." Result: decreased to 5.5% of batt/hr.

Second change: uninstall Gtalk IM account (not just signedout). Result: decreased to 4% of batt/hr.

Third change: increase Vit-cpuspeed to 550 Mhz. Result: increased to 5% of batt/hr.

I tested for a full day the impace of gtalk offline or singed in. Seemed to make no difference at all. But uninstalling the Gtalk IM account did for sure.

Also, cpu stats in time_in_state indicate 550MHz at 18%, 500MHz at 15%, 250MHz at 15%, 125MHz at 52%.

nicely done sir. Good tests, especially signed into or out of gchat.

I think 5% per hour is still pretty bad especially for how you are almost full bars with the airwave. We can do better. Still testing some of my scripts but i already know i can beat 5%/hour in good coverage. I am more like 3%/hour in good coverage.
  6.    #266  
    Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a few days and there are about a gazillion new messages. I like it! Thanks for all the testing and suggestions everyone!

Currently, I'm leaning toward setting the default parameters to be
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r
    This locks the processor at 500MHz when the screen is on and 250MHz when the screen is off. This saves battery power but still allows apps like Pandora to work glitch-free even with the screen off. Scaling down to 125MHz might (or might not) save more power but it can causes occasional glitches in these apps.

I'd like to incorporate VitViper's SmartReflex patch but at this point I'm not sure. I like the potential for more power saving but both VitViper and wprater I believe have mentioned (rare?) lockups when using it and that's not something I'm inclined to accept. I would like more people to try out his patched version and pound on it for a long period of time. Please report back here if you experience any lockups (and also if you don't).

I'm concerned about users reporting that they lose network connectivity when the CPU scales down to 250MHz or 125MHz. I believe one person said that they lose EVDO (how do you know?) and another said that they can't receive text messages (can you receive phone calls?) when the CPU scales down to those speeds. This to me is a big problem and I'd like to get as much information as possible from those who have experienced this. Please post exactly how you discovered the problem and what you have done to test it.

Thanks,
    Carl
  7.    #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by chbearsrock View Post
    A few questions...
    1. Is 125Mhz the lowest setting for the chip? With screen off I'd like to try a setting with a min. ~100Mhz to see if it would work okay (with scaling on, of course).
    Yes, 125MHz is the slowest CPU speed that can be set.

2. I currently set my phone to always 550Mhz on and a min. of 125 off. Has anyone else tried this? If so, please let me know your results.
    I haven't tried this.

3. Finally, is there a way to change the maximum speed when the screen is off, or does it always have to be the overall Maximum value set?
    There is currently no way to set a different maximum speed just for when the screen is off (I may code this at some point). However, you can force the CPU to the minimum speed when the screen is off by removing the "-D" option.

Thank you for the feedback!
  8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    I ran time_in_state and have spent zero time at 125 which means that palms userspace governor is not liberal enough.

How do you know how much cpu% a program in utilizing?
    The userspace governor does not change or scale the CPU speed. It just allows the speed to be changed by something else (script, program, etc.)
  9.    #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz4sale View Post
    Excuse my noobishness in this, but is this a way of overclocking the phone? A friend told me he could do it on his G1 and that when he ramped it up some battery performance improved. Idk how that works, and was just curious.
    You could use this to run the phone at 550MHz or 600MHz instead of the default 500MHz (see the warnings in the first and other posts). It technically isn't what I would call overclocking however.

This thread is more about saving power by clocking down when the CPU is idle.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    This is my 3rd day running Vitviper's settings and my phone has locked up 2 times. The first happened while i was making a call (Went to voicemail and phone was unresponsive). The second happened earlier today while i was typing out a text message. FYI i had a windows mobile phone prior to the pre so its not biggy having to remove battery.
  11.    #271  
    ClipCarl...is there a way I can scale between 125000 and 250000 when the screen is off, then keep at 550000 when it's on? Thanks man.
    Not currently. I may add this ability later. (But it doesn't look like it would be very beneficial at this point.)
  12.    #272  
    I would not run the script this guy made but i would run pre dev wiki's code modified with my suggestion. Just run this without making a script for it so it it doesnt work a reboot will set everything back to normal.

by default the pre uses userspace for the governor so we need to change to scaling so run this:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo ondemand > ./scaling_governor

then we need to set the max and min frequencies for scaling so run these:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo 500000 > ./scaling_max_freq

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo 250000 > ./scaling_min_freq

Then finally we need a threshold that speeds up the procesor when you start doing stuff so run this:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand# echo 5 > ./up_threshold

The problem everyone is having is that durring standby while playing pandora the phone BSoD's. I think this will keep it from crashing.
    This thread is about using the CPUSpeed program to control CPU scaling. There is another thread about using the ondemand governor and your post should go there.

However, I don't recommend that approach. Many people (including myself) found it to be unstable and to cause lockups.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Vitviper,

I just saw you actually have 2 files you uploaded. i've downloaded and installed the zip file. Do I also have to install the patch file?
  14.    #274  
    If you hand-off the merged version of your code base (or at least a working version) I will attempt conversion to use pthread_create. Fork/Signals are too slow for this type of code.

Thanks
    What on earth are you talking about? The program (as used here) does not fork. It also does not use signals which are just in there for manual control. Even if we were running on a CPU that would cause CPUSpeed to fork() (only on CPUs with multiple cores) the fork()s only happen at daemon start up would not impact the performance at all.
  15.    #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinestyle View Post
    I like setting #2 as it hasn't locked up or caused any glitching, but it wasn't until today that I realized that, while idle, I do not receive any text messages. When I awaken my phone from idle, the texts will start coming in and being noted as having been received earlier in the day (ie. "Message was sent at 1:30pm" when I awaken my phone at 2pm). In other words, my phone doesn't fetch the messages until I awaken it and the processor jumps back to 500mhz. This could be useful for some people, but I can't risk missing an urgent message.

Does anyone else have any issues like this?
    I cannot duplicate this. Can you get phone calls when the phone is idle?
  16.    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    I used this and everything seemed fine, 125 MHz at idle with screen off, 550 MHz on, it was doing smartreflex with screen on, it wasn't when the screen was off. Then I noticed after the device had been idle for a little while that my EVDO connection was gone. Rebooting brought it back, until it went idle for a bit again.... I changed the script to just 500 MHz and it still did it, and I even changed the script to 250 MHz as the min and it still would do it.... its SO frustrating? Any ideas what is going on???? I'd really like to use this.....
    How did you know your EVDO connection was gone when the phone was idle? So you are using SmartReflex? Are you using VitViper's modified CPUSpeed binary for this? Can you try with the original CPUSpeed binary (see the first post of this thread) and see if it happens with that too? (Make sure you remove any other scripts that might me scaling the CPU or turning on SmartReflex and reboot the phone.)
  17.    #277  
    I'm attempt to rewrite this as pthreads/semiphores clipcarls code is quite is quite cleaver in attempts to mimic kernal level functionality and device implementation Palm did not add to kernel.

I found some kernal code and that's how they do it for same functionality.
    I'm not sure what you are attempting to rewrite or why?
  18.    #278  
    Questions for users on VitViper's code. Are you experiencing any of these problems?
    -youtube flickers ocasionally
    -freezes
    -BSoD followed by reboot
    -improper Pandora playback when phone in standby
    -improper internet radio streaming when in standby
    -other video flicker
    -carmera app freezes and black screens

trying to see if its time to call you script stable yet.
    This whole thread is about seeing whether CPUSpeed is stable. Both with and without VitViper's patch!
  19.    #279  
    for what it's worth:

No. I cannot duplicate this.
  20.    #280  

Wow. That's pretty bad battery life. Some Pres are worse than others apparently and that's among the worst I'd guess. I thought I had a bad Pre because mine loses 2% - 3% per hour. (My previous Pre only lost about 1% per hour.)