Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    i can confirm that the default governor for webOS 1.1 is userspace. Not sure if this guys script will interfere with it but it definately already seems to be utilizing userspace.

I ran time_in_state and have spent zero time at 125 which means that palms userspace governor is not liberal enough.

How do you know how much cpu% a program in utilizing?
    nvm did not realize "top" worked on the pre's linux
    is anybody else using 237mb of the 245mb of ram at idle? run top in linux command line.
    i dived into the problem further. While having top opened on my screen i opened like 8 apps in webOS and the free memory actually increased as i opened more programs. Apparently it is taking memory from sleeping programs and giving it to open programs (sending the other memory to swap maybe). I cant seem to get it to run out of memory.

Also, lunaSysManr seems to be related to onscreen graphics. Everytime i move something on the screen it spikes to 40% cpu utilization then goes back to zero once i quit moving thing. Guess the animations are java based.

Finanly ran out at 25 cards. Very impressive memory managment.
    after closing everything my free ram was 55MB. Swap stayed the same so i am guessing it still has those sleeping programs in swap.

bottom line is that you can use 55MB of ram before running out. I guess i was hoping for a little more. If a high graphics type game ever came out like tiger woods then it was be very limited with ram.

The OS must be using up at least 200MB at its core.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Excuse my noobishness in this, but is this a way of overclocking the phone? A friend told me he could do it on his G1 and that when he ramped it up some battery performance improved. Idk how that works, and was just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by xstaticxgpx View Post
    yes it does, thank you - that was my plan, to play stupid and talk to a manager if there are any issues, since I am a new customer coming from verizon in a verizon dominated area, so...

@pelikan3

tried that, but since the usb port is non-functioning it didn't detect my pre.
    Wasn't sure. When mine bricked a while back, I didn't know about holding the volume rocker down while hooking it up, so the USB connection didn't recognize and I couldn't fix it. As soon as I tried the volume rocker trick, it worked. So, figured it was worth a shot.

You shouldn't even need to use TEP. A lot more phones than you realize, brick when updates are installed. I got one replaced that way, when I updated to 1.0.4, and I was the second phone that day that bricked from an update. So, you should be able to get it replaced, same day, under warranty, as long as the phone is in stock.

One suggestion... if there isn't a store with one in stock and they have to order one for you, get them to confirm, after they place the order, that you can put an old phone back on your account while you wait for it to come in. I made the mistake of changing out my phone ahead of time and, fortunately, they were nice enough to put the bad one back on the account so they could service it.

Good luck! You should be fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    after closing everything my free ram was 55MB. Swap stayed the same so i am guessing it still has those sleeping programs in swap.

bottom line is that you can use 55MB of ram before running out. I guess i was hoping for a little more. If a high graphics type game ever came out like tiger woods then it was be very limited with ram.

The OS must be using up at least 200MB at its core.
    Linux will use free RAM to cache things from the filesystem which can speed up access to often-used files. The OS will give up that RAM to programs as needed so they can run. Depending on the version of top the Pre is using it may show buffers and/or cache as using large amounts of RAM. This is actually the filesystem cache mentioned above and will generally keep the free number quite low on hardware with limited RAM. It's a "good thing." You can look for the amount of buffers/cache to go down as you open more things.
    i am reposting this here because i think it can be applied to the SmartFlex script that is floating around. I have seen that script have an up threshold of 25%. I think it should be 5%. Here is the repost........

Okay i read the entire thread and read a few more threads on other sites.

I do believe i might have a fix for the people trying to utilize scaling but have the freezing problems with pandora or the phone app or no app at all.

First off let me explain what i think is going on. I am an avid overclocker and have lots of experience. My gut feel is that when it scales down to 125mhz it is aslo scaling power to the cpu.

If you are in pandora with the screen on and are moving around stuff, pandora will utilize 10% or less of cpu while LunaSysMgr utilizes about 40%. This puts you over the 30% threshold that most of you are using since you are using the script that some guy made who arbitrarily set the scale up threshold to 30%. Everybody is happy including program and the cpu since it will be clocked to 500mhz and full power to cpu. But the second you put it to sleep LunaSysMgr shuts down and you are left with only 10% or less being utilized by Pandora. This puts you under the 30% threshold for scaling and your cpu scales down to 125mhz and so does its power. But pandora spikes every now and then to download the new song and update the screen which could send a temporary spike of about 20% utilization. This may be enough to totally overwhelm the procesor at 125mhz and the correspond cpu power.

This would be equivalent to overclocking a procesor and not giving it enough voltage. When you try and run something demanding (like 3Dmark05) you get the BSoD.

I propose that everyone change the scale up threshold to 5% or 10%. From my testing with "top" 5% should be perfect. The cpu never uses more than 5% unless you are doing something that needs power like running an application or receiving a phone call or some other notification.

I think its the phone calls or notifications that pop up suddenly while in standby that could also be sending the phone to BSoD because most peoples threshold is so high.

Any way for those of you that want to utilize scaling for its amazing power saving benifits change you scale up threshold to 5% and see if it keeps your phone from getting the BSoD.
    Is someone working on an app so you can do this without rooting? Is it possible?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chap2627 View Post
    Linux will use free RAM to cache things from the filesystem which can speed up access to often-used files. The OS will give up that RAM to programs as needed so they can run. Depending on the version of top the Pre is using it may show buffers and/or cache as using large amounts of RAM. This is actually the filesystem cache mentioned above and will generally keep the free number quite low on hardware with limited RAM. It's a "good thing." You can look for the amount of buffers/cache to go down as you open more things.
    Correct! Linux does not report/use RAM the way Windows does. It uses all of the RAM it can for cache until it is needed for programs, so you'll rarely see free RAM on any linux kernel. You've still got all the RAM you need, don't worry.
    VtViper,

not running the cet-cpuspeed script right now, but top shows close to 0% usage with the screen off, single digits with the screen on, 40 or so percent when moving/sliding things around.

EDIT: running the script again, and with the screen off cpu is in single digits. with pandora and screen on pandora is from 25-40%. with the screen off and pandora running, (wifi), cpu is under 20%.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 07/29/2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Quick update: with my phone locked at 550 with the screen on and scaling 125-550 with the screen off, these are my stats:

600000 0
    550000 272847
    500000 307
    250000 187
    125000 295135

As you can see, over half the time is spent @ 125Mhz...battery is at 67% after being off the charger for 7.5hours with moderate usage (1/2hr music, some google maps and nav use, 10 min phone call, 20-30min web browsing, and probably around 20txts sent/recieved. Also some miscellaneous use so overall my battery life is def. improved even with the speed jump. Btw, I'm listening to music (over Pandora) with the screen off, and have yet to encounter a hiccup.
    What did you set your scale up threshold to. If you start having problem set it to 5%. I need someone to test my theory.
    Why not test it on your pre...
    I'm not sure how you guys did it, but I just rooted my pre and have nothing changed...

Followed the directions here and anytime turn off wifi, I dont have EVDO. When I try to use something that requires data, it says no data connection available.

When I remove the cpustuff, and reboot, it all works...

very aggrivating!
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    I'm not sure how you guys did it, but I just rooted my pre and have nothing changed...

Followed the directions here and anytime turn off wifi, I dont have EVDO. When I try to use something that requires data, it says no data connection available.

When I remove the cpustuff, and reboot, it all works...

very aggrivating!
    Wow man that stinks...I'd say to make sure you have all the right linux stuff installed (as mentioned on the wiki) but other than that i dunno what to say. Maybe it's some sort of conflicting homebrew app you have installed?

ClipCarl...is there a way I can scale between 125000 and 250000 when the screen is off, then keep at 550000 when it's on? Thanks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Why not test it on your pre...
    Nice one. You stole my line. Last time I tried a "test" using Carl's and Reflex not scaling script got me the BSoD (black screen of death) the volume buttom and power on usb trick got me to old version of doctor flash back to 1.02 for reinstall . Thought I bricked it

I too removed cpuspeed and script Viper's answer...still waiting on code updates Viper BTW .

Viper not sure if your phone blew chunks for other reasons but original Carl code and new script setting works solid on my device albeit appears less snappy (well it does cycle down to 200 sooo).

I do not understand why my time spent numbers are significantly higher than they are without anything code/script combo.

My guess is code is causing slight overhead while as daemon like it needs lower process priority.

My battery today after removal was a dismal 23% versus Carl's stuff keeps my running at 55% close of business.
    Have not tested my pre becasue im at work where i have to force roam and pandora doesnt download fast enough on 1X in my office.

I would not run the script this guy made but i would run pre dev wiki's code modified with my suggestion. Just run this without making a script for it so it it doesnt work a reboot will set everything back to normal.

by default the pre uses userspace for the governor so we need to change to scaling so run this:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo ondemand > ./scaling_governor

then we need to set the max and min frequencies for scaling so run these:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo 500000 > ./scaling_max_freq

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq# echo 250000 > ./scaling_min_freq

Then finally we need a threshold that speeds up the procesor when you start doing stuff so run this:

root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand# echo 5 > ./up_threshold

The problem everyone is having is that durring standby while playing pandora the phone BSoD's. I think this will keep it from crashing.
    Unrelated question, but I figure if anyone can help me you folks can...

I received a call from a prospective client this morning, her number showed on my screen, I answered and spoke with her for a few minutes, then i heard a terrible electric zotting sound and my phone spontaneously rebooted (the first time since I got it). When it came up again, the woman's number was NOT in my list of calls, so I can't call her back to tell her I didn't hang up on her. Is there a way to "*69" a call from a Sprint phone (*69 itself doesn't work)? Is there a way to find the phone number in the Linux code even if it didn't make it to the Webos interface?

I really don't want to have to wait 24 hours until Sprint's systems update (why are they not in real time?) before someone MIGHT be able to retrieve the number for me.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to detour the thread!