Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 703
  1. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Carl,

    I went back to your original config:

    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r

    for one last try before taking off CPU scaling, as you suggested, to test 1.1 naked (the update level, not me). I took my phone off the charger at about 7 am this morning and at 11:19 I'm still at 25%. With 21 short phone calls, some web searches, a few texts, a little bit of music on the MP3 player, and 32 photos -mostly in burst mode , I'm at 16 hours and still going. I don't know if that would be considered light, moderate or heavy usage by most standards, but form me it was light to moderate. Had I plugged it in the car charger, or plugged it in at my desk, I could have gone pretty heavy and still had a lot left, but I ran without topping it off all day.

    I'm going to stick with this config for a while and see where it takes me. Hope this helps!

    Lee

    ps. Just put it back on the charger at 1:05am and I'm at 24%
    That's pretty moderate to heavy IMO. My average day at work consists of a few texts, maybe a phone call and checking a few EAS push notifications/emails as they come in. Which was about right for yesterday, and I used only 14% battery from 6:30am to 4pm. I'm running my custom CPUspeed at the moment though, at 550mhz when the screen is on.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlemmonrunner View Post
    VitViper and/or Carl,



    Would it be possible to publish the code here too? Meaning I have the 1.5 version from Carl's website but sounds like it is not current version or at least not the Pre codebase, LCD panel status, VitViper algorithm changes etc.

    I only ask because I would like to try some code changes but it really needs merged then at least we could all have a current working version to begin with. If I find anything interesting during my development and testing I will provide changes made. Not sure how many of us out there are actually testing it but I have a feeling it is a small bunch...

    Thank you both for your efforts...

    Tom
    I'll post up a diff against the 1.5 code when I get home tonight.
  2. #182  
    I've been messing around with this for the last few days with a lock on 500 with the screen on and scaling as needed off. I think that I can now report a moderate improvement in battery life. Certainly I haven't noticed any downsides, for what it's worth.
  3. #183  
    I'm still running the original settings Carl posted, but I'd be interested in testing out your changes VitViper.
    Right now, I'm not as concerned about my battery. I unplug it in the morning(10am), and it lasts throughout the day at work and usually still have 20-30% left before I go to sleep and plug it in(2-4am). Usually only light to moderate usage.
    I did find that sshing in to my phone over evdo can kill the battery pretty quickly though.
  4. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #184  
    root@castle:/var/home/root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
    550000
    root@castle:/var/home/root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    600000 1
    550000 6708333
    500000 71846
    250000 115583
    125000 1037479

    As you can see I've been using my device a lot. Since the phone has come off the charger this morning at 6:30 am I've been texting my girl pretty much nonstop, and browsed the web a bit. Down to 62% battery left. Will probably be around 40-50% when I get home. This is fairly heavy use. Not shabby imo.
  5. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #185  
    Just noticed something...
    My phone LCD off and NO cards open, LunaSysMgr was using 80% CPU for some reason. Restarted LunaSysMgr... now Java is using 95%. Rebooting the phone. Something is fubar'd with Java/Luna. This might explain crappy battery life.... Will look into it further.
  6. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #186  
    I think everyone should stop running their cpuspeed scripts... I think it's conflicting with the new changes palm has made. See below:

    root@castle:/var/home/vitviper# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    omap

    Wasn't it userspace before (in 1.0.4)?
    Last edited by VitViper; 07/28/2009 at 03:38 PM.
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I think everyone should stop running their cpuspeed scripts... I think it's conflicting with the new changes palm has made. See below:

    root@castle:/var/home/vitviper# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    omap

    Wasn't it userspace before (in 1.0.4)?
    You're right. I was messing around with the cpuscale + smartreflex using webos 1.1 and now my pre is totally bricked, usb port is non-functional now and no amount of taking out the battery or trying to hard reset will fix it. All i can hope for is that maybe I can send this to palm, since i bet sprint won't do **** for me.
  8. intro's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by xstaticxgpx View Post
    You're right. I was messing around with the cpuscale + smartreflex using webos 1.1 and now my pre is totally bricked, usb port is non-functional now and no amount of taking out the battery or trying to hard reset will fix it. All i can hope for is that maybe I can send this to palm, since i bet sprint won't do **** for me.
    Go to a sprint store, say you updated to 1.1 and then your phone turned off and you need to get your profile back onto your phone but when you tried to turn it on it was giving you an error that you needed to be in an area that had network service.
    they will call the ready now line, and get transfered to Palm tech help and they will be able to help ya
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

    Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

    -intro.
  9. #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by intro View Post
    Go to a sprint store, say you updated to 1.1 and then your phone turned off and you need to get your profile back onto your phone but when you tried to turn it on it was giving you an error that you needed to be in an area that had network service.
    they will call the ready now line, and get transfered to Palm tech help and they will be able to help ya
    hmm, could you explain that a bit? my phone is totally dead, it doesn't give an error or anything - it doesn't even give me the battery questionmark when it's plugged in and the battery is out
  10. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I think everyone should stop running their cpuspeed scripts... I think it's conflicting with the new changes palm has made. See below:

    root@castle:/var/home/vitviper# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    omap

    Wasn't it userspace before (in 1.0.4)?
    Have you found out anymore on this?
  11. intro's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by xstaticxgpx View Post
    hmm, could you explain that a bit? my phone is totally dead, it doesn't give an error or anything - it doesn't even give me the battery questionmark when it's plugged in and the battery is out
    if it is completely bricked and they can't even get it to turn on then you should be able to get a replacement if you have TEP (total equipment protection) since this is a new phone and it's still close to launch even after 30 days the store i work at is waving the $100 dollar replacement fee. im sure they will do the same, tell them you just did the update and the phone turned off after you updated it and its stuck like that, play dumb don't tell them about editing any of the configurations and they should be able to waive it, if they dont ask to speak to the manager and get alittle "hyped" up over the replacement fee over the new phone that you JUST bought and PAID a lot of money for and SIGNED a new 2 year agreement to join/keep your business with Sprint.

    i hope this helps
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

    Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

    -intro.
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by xstaticxgpx View Post
    You're right. I was messing around with the cpuscale + smartreflex using webos 1.1 and now my pre is totally bricked, usb port is non-functional now and no amount of taking out the battery or trying to hard reset will fix it. All i can hope for is that maybe I can send this to palm, since i bet sprint won't do **** for me.
    In case you haven't already, try running Webos Doctor.

    Go to Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

    When it gets to the part where you should attach your phone via USB, do the following:

    1) make sure you have already take out and reinserted the battery to make sure the phone is completely off. Then

    2) hold the volume rocker down while

    3) inserting the micro-usb connector

    This should wake up the phone and put it into USB mode and you can use Webos Doctor to restore your phone.

    Hope I'm giving you a new option! Good luck!
  13. #193  
    @vitviper I think you are referring to scaling_governor instead of the scaling_driver

    preuser@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq$ cat scaling_governor
    userspace
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  14. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    root@castle:/var/home/root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
    550000
    root@castle:/var/home/root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    600000 1
    550000 6708333
    500000 71846
    250000 115583
    125000 1037479

    As you can see I've been using my device a lot. Since the phone has come off the charger this morning at 6:30 am I've been texting my girl pretty much nonstop, and browsed the web a bit. Down to 62% battery left. Will probably be around 40-50% when I get home. This is fairly heavy use. Not shabby imo.
    What settings do you use?
  15. #195  
    Stupid question, but what's the best way to stop running the script?

    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I think everyone should stop running their cpuspeed scripts... I think it's conflicting with the new changes palm has made. See below:

    root@castle:/var/home/vitviper# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    omap

    Wasn't it userspace before (in 1.0.4)?
  16. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Stupid question, but what's the best way to stop running the script?
    stop cet-cpuspeed
    rm /etc/event.d/cet-cpuspeed
  17. #197  
    Thanks! I was missing that crucial "stop" part.

    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    stop cet-cpuspeed
    rm /etc/event.d/cet-cpuspeed
  18. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    @vitviper I think you are referring to scaling_governor instead of the scaling_driver

    preuser@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq$ cat scaling_governor
    userspace
    Duh, you're right.

    Can you SSH into your device over evdo and confirm something for me? For some reason when I'm SSH'd in and run top to monitor processes i get over 80% user cpu being used when the LCD is off, but when the LCD is turned back on everything goes back to normal after a bit. When the LCD is off there seems to be spurts of 'java' and 'LunaSysMgr' going crazy, even with cpuspeed removed.

    Even when I wasn't running top I'd noticed that cpupeed would set the frequency to max most of the time... even with the device idle.

    I've got the cpu frequency set to 600mhz WITHOUT using smartflex and my device is running fine (not getting hot).

    What's palm done with 1.1? Or is my device just whacky?
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Here are the latest settings I'm testing (tested on WebOS 1.1):

    1. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -p 60 80 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r
    2. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r

    #1 scales between 125MHz and 500MHz as needed when the screen is off and is locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.

    #2 is locked at 250MHz when the screen is off and locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.
    I used #1 two days ago and #2 today. With 1 my battery lasted longer than it ususally does but still dipped below 20% before 8PM. Today, using #2, I had my phone off the charger from around 8:30AM and now (1:40AM) I still have ~28% charge. This is with pretty heavy usage (a few short calls, receiving/checking several emails, browsing the web, using google maps a bit (with GPS) and maybe 100 or so texts. I did text a lot more when using #1 but overall I found the second option much better.

    A few questions...
    1. Is 125Mhz the lowest setting for the chip? With screen off I'd like to try a setting with a min. ~100Mhz to see if it would work okay (with scaling on, of course).
    2. I currently set my phone to always 550Mhz on and a min. of 125 off. Has anyone else tried this? If so, please let me know your results.
    3. Finally, is there a way to change the maximum speed when the screen is off, or does it always have to be the overall Maximum value set?

    Help is appreciated...thanks a lot guys.

    Btw...the phone is A LOT smoother at 550Mhz...I don't have any more stuttering when scrolling online and everything just seems more responsive, from universal search to opening apps. If my pocket catches on fire, I'll let you guys know.
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by intro View Post
    if it is completely bricked and they can't even get it to turn on then you should be able to get a replacement if you have TEP (total equipment protection) since this is a new phone and it's still close to launch even after 30 days the store i work at is waving the $100 dollar replacement fee. im sure they will do the same, tell them you just did the update and the phone turned off after you updated it and its stuck like that, play dumb don't tell them about editing any of the configurations and they should be able to waive it, if they dont ask to speak to the manager and get alittle "hyped" up over the replacement fee over the new phone that you JUST bought and PAID a lot of money for and SIGNED a new 2 year agreement to join/keep your business with Sprint.

    i hope this helps
    yes it does, thank you - that was my plan, to play stupid and talk to a manager if there are any issues, since I am a new customer coming from verizon in a verizon dominated area, so...

    @pelikan3

    tried that, but since the usb port is non-functioning it didn't detect my pre.

Posting Permissions