Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Here's how to do it. You must be rooted and be able to connect to your Pre via SSH.

Log into your phone and sudo -i to get a root shell. Use an editor (nano is my favorite; use ipkg-opt) and edit /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs $at$ $line$ $850$.

Original Code
    Code:
    	dialParams.limited = true;
    	sc.pushScene({
    		"name": "dialpad",
    		automaticFocusAdvance: false,
    		transition: Mojo.Transition.crossFade
    	}, dialParams);
    Change To
    Code:
    	dialParams.limited = true;
    	dialParams.number = undefined;
    	sc.pushScene({
    		"name": "dialpad",
    		automaticFocusAdvance: false,
    		transition: Mojo.Transition.crossFade
    	}, dialParams);
    Basically, the Emergency Call button passes, to this method, the emergency call number in your locale (i.e. 911) to pre-populate.

You'll notice you can't just call anyone from the Emergency Call screen. You can only call emergency numbers like 911. If you want to be able to call any number, you'll need to do another hack. I don't recommend this because it would allow someone who has gained access to your phone, to easily use it, perhaps racking up a large bill. Edit /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/dialpad-assistant.jsjsjs $at$ $line$ $1335$.

Original Code
    Code:
    		// never dial when locked if it's not an emergency number
    		if (this.appAssistant.screenLocked === true 
    			&& !(PlatformType.isEmergencyNumber(number)))
    			return false;
    Change To
    Code:
    		// never dial when locked if it's not an emergency number
    		if (this.appAssistant.screenLocked === true 
    			&& !(PlatformType.isEmergencyNumber(number)))
    			return true;
    This could be extended. For instance, you could add a check so you can only call numbers in a certain area code, or so international calls aren't allowed.
    To help those of us who are a little technology challenged, would anyone be willing to create an app to do this ? I've only had the PIN feature enabled since last Friday (required to receive work email) and I've already called 911.
    is there a way just to remove the button entirely?
    Bump. I really need an easy way to disable this function.
    this would be cool if it were not missing pertinent info, I was able to figure it out after while and not to knock on the help but the HOW TO is definitely needed here. Like how to get NANO or Joe installed (all about typing the right info... scrip is here: www . webos-internals . org / wiki / Replace_%22vi%22_with_Fullscreen_Text_Editor_%22joe%22_or_%22nano%22 ). Ignore "user@castle:~$" this when you go to type. The hidden user is not necessary once you're logged in.

Once inside of Joe, use this (also taken from the above website):
    Inside Joe
    Using the same key sequence strategy from above:

Ctrl+K, H Opens/Closes the Help Menu Ctrl+K, X Exit and Save the file Ctrl+C Abort edit, don't save

Everything else you could need is on the Help Menu.
    Eddieck, thanks for your post.

I added "dialParams.number = undefined" as you suggested. This change still enters "911" into the call screen but requires you to press the call button to make the emergency call. This is an improvement but it still means Emergency Services are called with two easy miscues (at least that was my unfortunate experience this evening).

Shouldn't there be a way to remove the "Emergency Call" button from the keypad or, alternatively, remove the emergency numbers from the script so that no numbers are entered into the call screen? Now I really don't know anything about coding but it looks like the potential emergency numbers are listed in line 15 of 1161 of app-assistant.jsjsjs ($webOS$ $1$.$2$.$1$).

Code:
    this.emergencyNumbers = ["911", "112", "000", "08", "110", "999", "118", "119", "#911", "*911"]; // default emergency numbers
    This is the only line in the script where I can find "911". If I commented out this line or deleted the numbers would I prevent the emergency numbers from being dialed by accident? Or would the script draw from another file to find your local emergency number?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.
    I too would like to see an easy way to disable the "Emergency Call" key.

Far too often, the keys I touch to unlock the Pre somehow start the emergency call. (The key code I use - none of the buttons are adjacent to the Emergency Call button, so I don't know why it does that.)

I think my emergency operations center would like my key disabled too, so does that count as 2 votes?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    It's *very bad form* to call 911 without a good reason. I've pocket-dialed 911 twice, now, in the last couple weeks and I get a call-back wanting to know if there's a problem. This would be a *great* patch.

If people are uncomfortable not being able to dial 911 without unlocking the phone maybe the patch could watch for both my unlock code (to unlock the phone) and "911" (to dial for help). (Obviously, replace 911 with whatever the emergency call number is as appropriate.) That means, of course, that nobody could choose an unlock code that started with 911 which would require warnings in the "Screen and Lock" app that sets the unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    If people are uncomfortable not being able to dial 911 without unlocking the phone
    I think the ability should still exist. If, for some reason, you are incapacitated and someone needs to use your phone to dial 911, they should be able to do so without needing to know your PIN.

The problem is that the Pre's setup makes it too easy to accidentally dial it. Instead of a 1 button dial, setting it up to dial all 3 numbers (9-1-1) makes it less likely to dial it accidentally.