Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. johnshaft's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #1  
    This is my first post on ths site and there is great information on here.
    I am planning to get a Palm Pre soon.

    Thanks to everyone posting the good, bad, and the ugly. Seriously, though I hope that one of the things that Palm addresses is adding an on-screen keyboard in a future app. I find it kind of crazy to have to manually type in websites by turning the unit vertically. I do realize that there is google, but you still have to use the keyboard. I just think that if they add an on-screen keyboard would reduce the wear and possible tear of the keyboard and the risk of the "oreo" effect.

    My two cents worth. Everyone's thoughts and feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading.
  2. mapara's Avatar
    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #2  
    Welcome
  3. #3  
    Someone will add one eventually. I'd like one.
  4. #4  
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palm added an on-screen kb. I'm typing this from my pre and it would be a pain in the @$$ to find the link, but there was a post on here about someone stumbling across a "prototype" on-screen keyboard buried within webOS. It would make more sense for Palm to do it since it probably requires deeper programming access than Palm is willing to grant at this point in order for the integration to be as seamless as possible... But what do I know... I'm just a medical student with no software development knowledge
  5. #5  
    I read on the development board that a traditional onscreen keyboard wouldn't work. Palm says a reasonable button has to be 45x45 px to be able to touch. With the Pres screen dimensions, it simply wouldn't fit. I had though of the idea of just having a portrait T9 keypad, and one of those landscape keypads that combine Q and W, E and R, etc. Doing these things would make it work, but even then, people won't be satisfied.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnshaft View Post
    This is my first post on ths site and there is great information on here.
    I am planning to get a Palm Pre soon.

    Thanks to everyone posting the good, bad, and the ugly. Seriously, though I hope that one of the things that Palm addresses is adding an on-screen keyboard in a future app. I find it kind of crazy to have to manually type in websites by turning the unit vertically. I do realize that there is google, but you still have to use the keyboard. I just think that if they add an on-screen keyboard would reduce the wear and possible tear of the keyboard and the risk of the "oreo" effect.

    My two cents worth. Everyone's thoughts and feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading.
    I don't get this. It takes maybe 0.5 seconds to turn the Pre vertical and open its keyboard. Why would you want to waste screen real-estate on a hard to type on virtual keyboard when you've got a real one right there? I came from the iPhone and if I never see an on screen keyboard again it will be too soon. Why would you willingly want to use one if you don't have to? Why should Palm's software engineers who already have tons of work ahead of them waste time writing an on screen keyboard when there is a real one for you to type on? Palms have never had an on screen keyboard so why should they start now? I'm serious; I really want to know!

    Oh, and welcome to the forum.
  7. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #7  
    the pre already has an onscreen keyboard.... its disabled though through palm but if you look around i think they have a guide here on how to enable it...
  8. #8  
    The onscreen was part of an app and not native to webos

    Palma have had on screen keyboards in the past though I rarely ever used them

    It would be nice but I'm fine with physical keyboard

    Oh and welcome. I love my pre. No hardware issues here
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the pre already has an onscreen keyboard.... its disabled though through palm but if you look around i think they have a guide here on how to enable it...
    No it doesn't. The on-screen keyboard that was found while rooting was part of WebShell, which is an SSH client that was installed during the rooting process. It wasn't part of WebOS.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I don't get this. It takes maybe 0.5 seconds to turn the Pre vertical and open its keyboard. Why would you want to waste screen real-estate on a hard to type on virtual keyboard when you've got a real one right there? I came from the iPhone and if I never see an on screen keyboard again it will be too soon. Why would you willingly want to use one if you don't have to? Why should Palm's software engineers who already have tons of work ahead of them waste time writing an on screen keyboard when there is a real one for you to type on? Palms have never had an on screen keyboard so why should they start now? I'm serious; I really want to know!

    Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Actually Palm has on screen keyboards in their treo and pda units, it is within their menu, edit, keyboard.
  11. #11  
    Mcnamee was pretty intent on saying palm will differentiate having a real kb. I don't see them taking the time to put one in along with the support and changes it'd take.

    And really, there's just so much other stuff that needs done just to native apps not to mention overall speed, copy n paste, etc or new stuff like video/audio recording.
  12. #12  
    When I read the title of this thread, I got all excited because I thought Palm announced more apps coming to the Pre... Oh well.

    But welcome to PreCentral!
  13. klbjr's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pychozoundz View Post
    I read on the development board that a traditional onscreen keyboard wouldn't work. Palm says a reasonable button has to be 45x45 px to be able to touch. With the Pres screen dimensions, it simply wouldn't fit. I had though of the idea of just having a portrait T9 keypad, and one of those landscape keypads that combine Q and W, E and R, etc. Doing these things would make it work, but even then, people won't be satisfied.
    Wky wouldn't it fit? The Pre has a larger screen size 3.1 in. when compared against the Touch Pro's smaller 2.8 in screen.

    ----EDIT----
    Nevermind. Answered my own question. The capacitive vs resistive screens. Quick question has anyone actually tried to use a stylus on the Pre's screen?

    ---EDIT-----
    Scratch the stylus idea.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Wky wouldn't it fit? The Pre has a larger screen size 3.1 in. when compared against the Touch Pro's smaller 2.8 in screen.

    ----EDIT----
    Nevermind. Answered my own question. The capacitive vs resistive screens. Quick question has anyone actually tried to use a stylus on the Pre's screen?

    ---EDIT-----
    Scratch the stylus idea.
    I was just about to answer too. :P

    But, the reason why is that the Pre's screen is 320x480 pixels. 45px button in landscape means you get a 3 row, 10 letter keyboard taking up 135x450 pixels. That leaves three pixels of space between each key on the same row, and with zero spacing between keys vertically, the keyboard is taking up nearly half the screen. Now, pull out your phone and look at how much room half your screen(horizontal half) has. Not a lot. Imagine trying to pluck out letters with these dimensions.
  15. #15  
    It's not a major deal to me, but I'm sure we'll see an on-screen keyboard.

    I'm curious though, what does that have to do with "Apps coming soon", the title of your thread?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pychozoundz View Post
    I read on the development board that a traditional onscreen keyboard wouldn't work. Palm says a reasonable button has to be 45x45 px to be able to touch. With the Pres screen dimensions, it simply wouldn't fit. I had though of the idea of just having a portrait T9 keypad, and one of those landscape keypads that combine Q and W, E and R, etc. Doing these things would make it work, but even then, people won't be satisfied.
    I disagree. They could make the keys on the keyboard very small, and then have them "zoom" when you put you finger on them. Then the key doesn't register until you lift your finger. No biggie.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I don't get this. It takes maybe 0.5 seconds to turn the Pre vertical and open its keyboard. Why would you want to waste screen real-estate on a hard to type on virtual keyboard when you've got a real one right there? I came from the iPhone and if I never see an on screen keyboard again it will be too soon. Why would you willingly want to use one if you don't have to? Why should Palm's software engineers who already have tons of work ahead of them waste time writing an on screen keyboard when there is a real one for you to type on? Palms have never had an on screen keyboard so why should they start now? I'm serious; I really want to know!

    Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    an on screen keyboard would be more convenient in the sense that if you are on a website, you can see more when the pre is horizontal... thus you do not have to turn it vertical only to use your thumb every third word to make sure you are spelling things correctly. it'll most likely be like the instinct where you hit a button and it pops out... not a mandatory thing!
  18. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #18  
    I would just want a keyboard in landscape mode.
    I don't care for it in vertical mode, because sliding out the real keyboard takes nothing but half a second.

    But landscape mode is much easier to read rectangular text boxes.
    In vertical mode, rectangular text boxes found in every forum and even facebook means a lot of scrolling just to see what I'm typing.
    If I zoom out, then it's hard to make out the letters.

    So a landscape keyboard would be nice in that matter.
  19. #19  
    I've gotten pretty good at using the slide out keyboard sideways. Pretty quickly you won't even notice that the letters on the keyboard are sideways.

    While I realize that it would require a completely different kind of slider mechanism I wouldn't mind seeing a future pre with a keyboard that rotates down so that it can be used properly either in portrait or landscape.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    When I read the title of this thread, I got all excited because I thought Palm announced more apps coming to the Pre... Oh well.

    But welcome to PreCentral!
    LOL

    Werd.

Posting Permissions