1.    #1  
    Is there any way to disable or remove the emergency call function/button?

I'm guessing there would be a way to at least disable the function through some sort of modification at least for rooted pre's? Anyone want to try finding out how to disable this?

I want to use a PIN, but I can't because of the damn emergency call button... I keep pressing it accidentally.
    just curious, what would be your reasoning behind this?
    Heck, don't do this. I just had a car accident with my car and I had just gotten the Pre and did not really know how it all worked at that point.

I dialed 911 and it went into Emergency Mode and I freaked out but realized it was helping me out.

This is a dangerous thing to get put into regular users hands.

You will never know when you need this, and when you do you will be grateful as I was.

Unfortunately, considering it was only a car accident, the police never showed up!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Thats exactly what was happening to me. One time i didnt even know i called them (911)and somehow hung up on them and they even call me back to make sure i was ok. i eventually got rid of the PIN, just crossing my fingers i dont lose my phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
    just curious, what would be your reasoning behind this?
    I accidentally end up making an emergency call? ...? Either my phone screen turns on and somehow I end up pushing it, or when I pull it out, I push it, or when I enter my pin, I push it. It happens, even if it's not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Heck, don't do this. I just had a car accident with my car and I had just gotten the Pre and did not really know how it all worked at that point.

I dialed 911 and it went into Emergency Mode and I freaked out but realized it was helping me out.

This is a dangerous thing to get put into regular users hands.

You will never know when you need this, and when you do you will be grateful as I was.

Unfortunately, considering it was only a car accident, the police never showed up!

Rob
    Well dialing 911 is fine, but there is an emergency call button on the PIN input page when you try to unlock your phone which is too easy to press.

Quote Originally Posted by ninerd View Post
    Thats exactly what was happening to me. One time i didnt even know i called them (911)and somehow hung up on them and they even call me back to make sure i was ok. i eventually got rid of the PIN, just crossing my fingers i dont lose my phone.
    I'm in the exact same boat. I accidentally called on the bus one day and hung up as fast as I could (I think it was less than a few seconds) and I got a call back within a few minutes. I'm worried that I will lose my phone... with the 1.1 update and auto-wipe after a finite number of missed tries, that'll help keep my information safe.
    Ever since EAS forced the PIN, I've dialed 911 about 10 times on accident...

This morning, my touchscreen got uncalibrated, or something, and I was trying to hit the numbers, and it pushed the emergency # instead... when I tried to hit end---it wouldn't work either...