1.    #1  
    Hey

I am working on a wrapper library for GPS web access.

code.google.com/p/geo-location-javascript/

I would like to add webOS to the list of supported platforms, it looks fairly easy to do that in the webOS, but i don't have access to a SDK to develop taht part. Is that somebody interested in helping.

One question I got: Can I go to a website in the browser and use javascript to get GPS access or does this have to be an application? Either case, still want it.

Best,
    Stan
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisstan View Post
    One question I got: Can I go to a website in the browser and use javascript to get GPS access or does this have to be an application? Either case, still want it.
    Pretty sure the system calls can be done in any javascript file, not just an app's one.
    Unless you are running as an App started up on the device, I don't think you will have access to the Mojo.Services.Request to call on the palm:// bus. Otherwise, this is a glaring security hole for initiating Contact entries, Setting up emails for sending, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Unless you are running as an App started up on the device, I don't think you will have access to the Mojo.Services.Request to call on the palm:// bus. Otherwise, this is a glaring security hole for initiating Contact entries, Setting up emails for sending, etc.
    Lol, completely forgot about that. Though wouldn't simply having
    Code:
    <script src="file:///usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$version$=&$quot$;$1$&$quot$;&$gt$;&$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    get around that problem?
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/10/2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Using a relative path like that will reference the WEB SERVER, not local storage. This is a fundamental security principle for web browsers.
  6.    #6  
    Is there a request for permission from the user when requesting the location? That way the security problem could be handled.

So I want to include that in the project, but don't know how since i can't get my hands on a Simulator and don't have a device. Where would i find Documnentation regarding that part of the API. Sorry for all those obvious questions, but i couldn't find a simulator or the API doc even with device already on the market??
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Using a relative path like that will reference the WEB SERVER, not local storage. This is a fundamental security principle for web browsers.
    lol, I need sleep. forgot "file://". That better?

So I want to include that in the project, but don't know how since i can't get my hands on a Simulator and don't have a device. Where would i find Documnentation regarding that part of the API. Sorry for all those obvious questions, but i couldn't find a simulator or the API doc even with device already on the market??
    Full API and documentation is not released except privately in the Early Access Program, though I'd recommend trying webOS tutorials, forums and resources for developers
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/10/2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    lol, I need sleep. forgot "file://". That better?
    Most browsers won't allow this unless you have a VERY lax security profile. Unless things have changed terribly since my last trying it a while ago.
    Is there a request for permission from the user when requesting the location? That way the security problem could be handled.

Do a search for the Leaked SDK. It has an emulator that allows you to load web sites. Unfortunately, you will get an error with a getCurrentPosition call. However, if you get that error, you know that you called into the right code.