Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I would love to see a geocaching app for the pre -- I'm an IT guy, but I have no programming experience. Does anyone else out there go geocaching?

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site
    I would love to see a geocaching app for the pre! *fingers crossed!*
    I replied to a thread a few weeks ago, about wanting a Geocaching app. I have one on my centro and love it... I may be getting a Pre today, so hopefully someone will put something together..
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I used google maps last night to find a cache with the Pre - it wasn't bad but an app would be MUCH better.

I think I would be willing to hire a programmer to write it - if you are a programmer out there and want to get paid for an app... pm me...
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I don't think we'll have to wait too long for a geocaching app for the Pre. I love geocaching as well; currently use a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, but I would love to use my Pre. Groundspeak made an iPhone app, so if they don't port it over to the Pre I'm sure someone will make a Pre app. Heck, I'll even make an attempt at one if no one else does first.

I will be happy not to have to print out the cache information anymore, as well as log my finds on the spot and take pictures and immediately upload them. Who knows, maybe even a messaging system for locating nearby geocachers looking for the same cache or within a certain vicinity would be nice, too. Even just seeing the geocaching website correctly would be great; blazer never did load it right...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Yes, a geocaching app is needed very badly for the Pre. I love my Garmin Colorado, but I don't always have it when I get a notification if I am at work or in the gf's car. It would be nice to be able to put coords in my phone a grab some caches wherever I happen to be.
    Love Geocaching, and would love to have an app for this as I gave my etrex to my brother in law and have not gone geocaching since. How do you enter coordinates to google maps?
    I would love a geo app as well!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm right there with ya...also love geocaching. Incidentally, I would love to write the app, but I can't seem to find the time. Here's hoping someone makes this happen!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    Love Geocaching, and would love to have an app for this as I gave my etrex to my brother in law and have not gone geocaching since. How do you enter coordinates to google maps?
    I talked to a few geocachers that said they use their Pre for caching - similar to what I did last night with google maps - maybe we should all chime in on the groundspeak forum asking for a port of the iPhone app...

To enter coordinates to google maps - you can use any format from geocaching.com - I used the decimal format last night and the google maps gave me two red dots - one on the closest house, the other was a bit closer to the cache - I've been told the one closest to the house is a google suggest on the closest location they think you might have meant - so it could be the closest road, house, or business.

It's not perfect - but if you wanted to go caching on your lunch break and forgot your GPS - the Pre would work!

An app that allows me to download coords. on the fly, upload pics, sign logs - would be awesome!
    I emailed the iPhone devs over at Groudspeak around mid June. The basically said they would be making an official Geocaching app, but that there was no timetable for it.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    If anyone is still interested. I'd love feedback/help. I'm a developer, not a geocacher, so any help would be awesome. I want this to work for you guys, so help me make it a reality!

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...55#post1788255

All it really does right now is get your gps location and send it to geocaching.com, providing you with a list of nearby geocaches...
    I would even pay for the app! Gotta have my goecache...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    I would even pay for the app! Gotta have my goecache...
    Follow the link... let me know what else you'd like!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I would pitch in some $$ for the app as well, if anyone takes it on.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Katdaddy, there are several programs in the works. markpowers has a Go To Tool, and I've got an app that simply integrates with geocaching.com (http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1788255). Let me know what you'd like to see, more specifically, and I'll try to work it out!