Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I found out that you can see how much charge the pre is drawing by catting this value -

root@castle:/sys/devices/platform# cat /sys/devices/platform/usb_gadget/current_mA

I did some quick tests, and a usb power port from my laptop gives 500mah, the actual usb adapter that the palm pre comes with draws 1000mah. The touchstone just registers 0 since it's not really a usb plug..

I have plenty of usb adapters that are rated for 1000mah - but the pre refuses to draw anything beyond 500mah from them. (I know they work, as my touch pro can draw more..)

-mark
    if you search the forum you will find your answer to that issue. those power sources are not telling the pre that the are 1000mah devices, so the pre thinks they are 500mah ones, to get the pre to know they are 1000mah sources then d+ and d- pins/wires in the source need to be tied together (the 2 middle pins of the usb connector), this is the way that the pre sees that the source is a 1000mah source. if you search in the forum you will find (a few) threads about this and how to "fix" the issue (some cables/power adapters are easier to do then others)
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    if you search the forum you will find your answer to that issue. those power sources are not telling the pre that the are 1000mah devices, so the pre thinks they are 500mah ones, to get the pre to know they are 1000mah sources then d+ and d- pins/wires in the source need to be tied together (the 2 middle pins of the usb connector), this is the way that the pre sees that the source is a 1000mah source. if you search in the forum you will find (a few) threads about this and how to "fix" the issue (some cables/power adapters are easier to do then others)
    In the Sprint TOuch Pro, someone managed to do a software hack that allowed the phone to charge at full power (around 850mah for the touch pro..)

I wonder if something similar is possible on the pre..
    -mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I recently purchased 4 things from the prethining store - 1400mah battery, desktop cradle, a short usb cable, and a miniusb--> microusb adapter.

Of the 3 charging gadgets, the miniusb--> microusb adapter seems to convince the pre to draw 1000mah..

This adapter here -

Palm Pre Amzer® Handy Converter Mini-USB connector to Micro USB Charger-4436

-mark
    If it charges at its full potential does it charge faster?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
    If it charges at its full potential does it charge faster?
    It should charge at the same speed as the Palm Pre power adapter (when connected to a 1000mah charger)
    -mark