1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me out a little, teach me to fish. I successfully rooted my Pre today but I know how sensitive this all is so I don't want to take any next steps without knowing pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I plan on following the instructions of anything I do to the line and letter, but there are a few parts of instructions that aren't copying and pasting that I don't get. So there are some questions that I have that are absurdly basic. I have, as per the rooting instructions, created a user name and installed dropbear with apparent success. I'm working with Mac OS 10.5

1. Looking at the "Hide/Delete the NASCAR App" instructions, the first step (after "root your pre" and "enable optware") is "SSH in". Now I know this is pretty much the first step of anything and the most basic thing in the rooting world, but I don't really know what it means! I feel confident that I don't need to know the ins and outs of EXACTLY what it means (or what SSH is, rather), but I do need to know how to do it. I am betting it's something as simple as simply opening up novaterm.

2. Looking at the instructions to Add/Delete Launcher Pages, the few steps there are do all look completely clear and I totally understand them. I figure that I need to open up a novaterm session (and I suspect that this is the answer to my question #1), but that will put me on as root, which is unsafe, right? What I want to do is log onto the Pre with my username, right? But I don't know how to do that.

3. Dev mode. I did make it visible in launcher (thank goodness) but the end of the dropbear install instructions it says:
    "11. Once you are able to ssh in, disable dev mode. Dev Mode enabled opens the firewall up not a safe position to be in. Unless you mess up and NEED to telnet or novacom in again, keep dev mode off."
    First of all I'm not sure what it means to telnet or novacom in. But the main question is, does this mean that now that I'm rooted I don't ever need to go into dev mode anymore? I am highly dubious that this is the case. And I would still need it to SDK apps onto the phone (which I've finally figured out).

4. For practical usage, what actually IS dropbear? It may just be that the name reminds me of bearshare, but is it some background thing, as opposed to some kind of graphic interface that I edit with? Is it just something that runs in the background and enables me to do all that other stuff, and once it's installed I never worry about it again?

5. One of the last steps in the initial rooting process is installing USBNet, so you can "talk to your Pre without WiFi or Bluetooh, and it keeps the battery charged." Does this mean that (without USBNet since it doesn't appear to really work for Mac Leopard) the way you access a rooted pre is NOT by USB but wirelessly?

I do understand when people say thing like "We're not writing a 'how to mod for dummies' because dummies shouldn't be modding!" But I am very aware of how disastrous it would be for me to actually change stuff around willy nilly. I am just looking to follow simple modding procedures (e.g. I am NOT going to try the pages of instructions to make downloading from the browser possible), and do not know enough, and have not been taught enough, to make the assumptions these pages make.

So I would very much appreciate some help with this, and I'm sure that once a few of these questions are answered (and I'm betting that if I knew what I was talking about I may realize they all have the same answer) I will be able to do a whole lot more on my own. Respond by PM or email (tuzmusic AT gmail DOT com) if you'd like.

Thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    man, you wrote a lot. What I would suggest you do is review the basic linux commands over on the Wiki. I wouldn't say I'm in your place, but I know how you feel. You've got a lot of questions that could easily be answered using google (what does/is ssh/dropbear), and using the wiki. The rooting proceedure is pretty easy to follow, as well as what to do after that. To login to your pre you use 'ssh -p 222 USER@192.168.1.102, or whatver your pre IP address is. That should get you started. A lot of this is trial and error, atleast it has been for me, but I think the wiki is pretty good. I was able to follow it easily using a mac.
  3. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fugm View Post
    To login to your pre you use 'ssh -p 222 USER@192.168.1.102, or whatver your pre IP address is.
    Seems phenomenally obvious now, huh? Thanks a lot! To do this you need to look up the IP address every time, right? When I was rooting, I checked that dropbear worked, then I rebooted as directed and my IP address had changed. I hope I can find my way to the ip address (last time I did it by reviewing my terminal session so far but now it's closed).

I definitely reviewed those basic commands and unless I skimmed over something without realizing it, they were pretty basic (though obviously essential). A few basic searches of the wiki, say, for "ssh" turned up things like the optware install pages, and other things that used ssh but not an actual answer.

Why I didn't turn to google first, I don't really know.

But thanks a lot I hope that will do a lot. Do I need to be in Dev mode to do any of that stuff?
  4. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Oh dear what is wrong with me. I ssh'd using my username after getting my IP address the way I did in during dropbear install.

I tried mount -o remount,rw / but it said I couldn't do it cause I'm not root.
    So I tried sudo mount -o remount,rw / and it gave me a lecture but appeared to work (I assume it worked because when I did it with sudo again, it paused a second, and didn't give me a lecture).

But then when I opened up the file (to hide the nascar app) it was still readonly and when I tried to backup the file to then delete it, access denied.

I tried SSH-ing as root@my.ip.address but then realized I should be doing it @castle, so while I was in a loop of it asking for root password, I closed that novaterm window and opened up a new one and deleted the Nascar App successfully (in castle).

I feel like I understand what I'm doing at every step, but I still can't seem to do root-privelege things under my own name [safely]...
  5. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Oh dear what is wrong with me. I ssh'd using my username after getting my IP address the way I did in during dropbear install.

I tried mount -o remount,rw / but it said I couldn't do it cause I'm not root.
    So I tried sudo mount -o remount,rw / and it gave me a lecture but appeared to work (I assume it worked because when I did it with sudo again, it paused a second, and didn't give me a lecture).

But then when I opened up the file (to hide the nascar app) it was still readonly and when I tried to backup the file to then delete it, access denied.

I tried SSH-ing as root@my.ip.address but then realized I should be doing it @castle, so while I was in a loop of it asking for root password, I closed that novaterm window and opened up a new one and deleted the Nascar App successfully (in castle).

I feel like I understand what I'm doing at every step, but I still can't seem to do root-privelege things under my own name [safely]...

By the way, I wasn't able to do anything at all without hooking up via USB in Dev mode. Looking at the ssh line (after finally googling SSH) I do see that the point of it is to connect securely though the IP address. Do I have to open terminal to a certain location for it to work at all? Opening in novaterm yields a logout (because it can't find my pre), and I can't get to the opt directory because cd .. and cd / both only go to my user home folder (not the computer folder above it).
    Last edited by tuz; 07/09/2009 at 05:42 PM.