Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am looking around at various posts on the predev wiki and here.
    I found out that you can

1. lower your screen brightness to 0 instead of 10 on a scale of 100
    pre dev wiki: Brightness via
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs

2. MORE interestingly, keep the screen on while charging
    pre dev wiki: Changing the "Turn off after X" time
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.display/control/setProperty '{"onWhenConnected":true}'

Now I'd like to see if i can either lower the backlight so it is not on at all OR
    2. make the screen turn off when docked onto the touchstone or at least allow it to turn off.

Anybody tried to do this? Guide me to a proper part of the code to look at?

sorry about the crazy title
    I have the same question as i hate having any light in my room at night when i sleep.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Anyone come up with a solution for this better than my fix of sticking a cloth over the phone every night?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am also very interested to find out if there is someone out there that can write something that can allow me to shut off the screen when on the touchstone.
    I would like it to turn off as well.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    +3
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    sounds dumb, but I put the sleeping bag on top. Works like a charm and ensures I never lose it.
    I'm working on adding this in within the next couple versions of "Brightness Unlinked" (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...tness-unlinked). I'm going to try to add a button that will turn the screen completely off, that you can hit after you put the phone on the touchstone.

Follow along in the forum thread for update information. Like I said, hopefully I can have this within the next couple versions. When I add it in, I will need people to test it, since I don't actually have a touchstone.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    zinge,

Sounds good - I have two Pre's, and three touchstones, and I'll be glad to help out with testing for you. Both Pre's have your Brightness Unlinked app installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    zinge,

Sounds good - I have two Pre's, and three touchstones, and I'll be glad to help out with testing for you. Both Pre's have your Brightness Unlinked app installed.
    I'll let you know when I have a new version for you to test, thanks.
    The newest version of Brightness Unlinked now has a button that *should* allow you to turn off the screen when the app is on the touchstone. Since I don't have a touchstone, I haven't been able to test it out yet.

Open the app, then put your phone on the touchstone. A button should appear that says "Turn Off Screen/Keypad". Click that. Your screen should turn off until you pull the phone off of the touchstone or you open/close the keyboard.
    Just tested it. It does shut off with the button. It doesn't turn back on when you remove it from the touchstone UNTIL you open the keyboard. Simply removing it from the Tstone doesn't turn the screen back on. Not sure if it was suppose to or not?? Nice app nonetheless!! I don't have a problem with the screen being on at night (it's really not that bright and I sleep in a very dark room?) but cool app anyway!!
    I tested it on mine and it works. It turned off the phone when I put in the touchstone and I was avail to turn it on removing it from the touchstone. The only problem that i have is that i recieve a phone call while the screen is off it dosent turn back on and the onscreen unlock dosent work till the phone call has gone to voice mail.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have two Pre's and three touchstones, but the results aren't quite right yet.

My Pre screen does turn off, the main button light comes on, and then after one to several minutes the screen comes back on. Seems like something is waking it up (?). I continued to press the "turn screen off" button and after 4 or 5 tries it seems to stay off (for at least longer periods of time). I will try it overnight.

So far, my wife's works fine and the LED main button light stays on.

It may have something to do with hitting 100% charge, as mine seems to come back on after that.

I'll try more tests for a few days and report back.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Ran additional tests - the Pre screen still comes on after reaching 100% charge. It's independent of either of my Pre's or the touchstones I have.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Yah, i had the same problems.

Is it possible to somehow fool the palm into not thinking it's on the touchstone.
    Rather than hitting a button to turn the screen off, somewhere there has to be a flag that is set when on the touchstone that says leave screen on, go into clock mode, turn speakerphone on, etc. Turning this flag off would be more helpful because then the phone would charge just like it was plugged into the wall, with very predictable screen timeouts, etc etc.
    I have also been testing the darkened screen with the alarm set (on touchstone). So far mixed results... The alarm rings, picking up the phone sometimes puts it directly into snooze mode, sometimes you have to hit the snooze/dismiss manually. But it does stay dark after replacing the Pre onto the touchstone.

I also found that the touchstone button will not appear if you start the app while on the touchstone. You have to take it off the touchstone then put it back on and only then will the button appear.

The Pre needs a better alarm clock...but thats another post
    sent from my Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Yah, i had the same problems.

Is it possible to somehow fool the palm into not thinking it's on the touchstone.
    Rather than hitting a button to turn the screen off, somewhere there has to be a flag that is set when on the touchstone that says leave screen on, go into clock mode, turn speakerphone on, etc. Turning this flag off would be more helpful because then the phone would charge just like it was plugged into the wall, with very predictable screen timeouts, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by livetorideca View Post
    I have also been testing the darkened screen with the alarm set (on touchstone). So far mixed results... The alarm rings, picking up the phone sometimes puts it directly into snooze mode, sometimes you have to hit the snooze/dismiss manually. But it does stay dark after replacing the Pre onto the touchstone.

I also found that the touchstone button will not appear if you start the app while on the touchstone. You have to take it off the touchstone then put it back on and only then will the button appear.

The Pre needs a better alarm clock...but thats another post

Rkguy: That's the basic idea behind what I'm trying to do now. If I can get it to work, new version should be up in a few days.

Livetorideca: I know the button doesn't appear unless you have the app open before you put it on the touchstone. I'll fix this when I get a chance. Thanks.

Do you guys mind continuing this convo in the main Brightness Unlinked thread? Its easier if I have everything in one place.
    Can you guys help me out, everytime i install the app i can control light controls but i get no option for touchstone whether its on it or off..also when the prgram starts i see a quicks "oops blah blah blah"..
    Quote Originally Posted by olsen10287 View Post
    Can you guys help me out, everytime i install the app i can control light controls but i get no option for touchstone whether its on it or off..also when the prgram starts i see a quicks "oops blah blah blah"..

Make sure you installed the newest version from the homebrew apps link, not the ipkg attached to the forum thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast