Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The pre's speed dialer lacks awesomeness...

I used to have an Instinct. On that phone you could add contacts to a list called speed dial. there was nothing listed other than their names.

the way it worked was you click on speed dial, click add contact, and then choose a contact from your contact list. choose the number for that person if they have more than one. Then all you saw is their name. Bada bing bada boom. Instant dialing. You could even sort them by draging them up or down on the list.

Is anyone up for creating an app like this? I would even pay for that one...

The reason I ask, I find it very klunky to dial someone real fast when I need to. Having to remember their speed dial # sucks. Specialy if I dont call them all that often.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by donjski; 07/08/2009 at 07:27 PM.
    for me it's real simple just have the people u call the most.....m-mom p-pop b-brother s-sister or k-kathy j-john only a few i just need to figure out if the person has more than one number how do i get the 2nd number if i can't get them on the 1st......hmmm
    you can also use almost any single key in the keyboard at a speeddial. ei long hold G" for girlfriend.
    I've found that with universal search, speed dialing is completely unnecessary. On my Treo, I had a ton of speed dials on the keyboard, for my mom, girlfriend, certain friends, etc. I could easily set it up the same way on the Pre, but there just hasn't been any need. If I want to dial my mom, I just type the first couple letters of her name, her number pops up, and I hit dial. It couldn't be more simple. And although it's a couple more keystrokes than speed dial on the keyboard, it takes roughly the same amount of time, since I don't have to hold any one key for any length of time.

Speed dial is an outdated mindset, I think. Universal search makes so much more sense.
    Coming from WinMo devices I'm pretty familiar with just quickly typing the first few letters and taping the search list. Universal Search on the Pre or doing the same from within the phone app behaves roughly the same way so I feel right at home. The one benefit Universal Search gives over typing the letters within the phone app is that you can tap the SMS icon within the results to send an SMS to the contact instead of calling.

Furthermore if you are a heavy voice user like me I tend to try to leave the phone app's card open all the time. It makes dialing contacts and answering calls much faster.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    You can always add contacts to your launcher.
    Page 1, speed dial.
    Page 2 regularly used apps -
    Page 2 (below the fold) less regularly used apps.
    Page 3 - all the cruft and nonsense that you never use or use irregularly (app catalog and updates at the top, nascar somewhere below the fold)

Speed dial is sort of outliving its usefulness. It's so easy just to type in a couple of letters to get to a person and then once you have their contact page just a tap away to e-mail, text, or phone. No need to maintain order in a list or worry about which contact method is primary/secondary/tertiary.

I find myself texting much more than calling now a days and actually talking to more than I would if I were on a voice call.
    nice
    For those who want to start typing part of the persons name (like SmartDial for WinMo users) on the dial screen, you can do that. Check under the options under the KEYPAD/DIALER screen. There's an option for that, but it's turned off by default.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hard to start typing when driving. Would be better to have Treo style Favorites buttons for FAST keyboard less calling...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I agree that a nice contacts list would be a great addition. I miss the htc touchflo with 9 or so favorite ppl with just a little contact picture to click on. I'd try to make the app myself but it'd probably take me a year to figure out how.
    There's only 7-8 people I like enough for speed dialing so I dont have a problem.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Try to open a key board and type while driving is dangerous and a pain in the arrse. If you had the app that I am talking about, you would think differently. When I got the Instinct, i thought is was kinda gay the way they did the speed dial. But after seeing how easy and smooth it worked, it turned into a necessity. So Aonic, when you read this...chime in.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donjski View Post
    Try to open a key board and type while driving is dangerous and a pain in the arrse. If you had the app that I am talking about, you would think differently. When I got the Instinct, i thought is was kinda gay the way they did the speed dial. But after seeing how easy and smooth it worked, it turned into a necessity. So Aonic, when you read this...chime in.
    To be clear, doing just about anything else plus driving is dangerous. That could be driving and changing the radio or driving and drinking a soda. They all take your attention away from you're primary task of maneuvering a ton of metal at high speed around other people trying to maneuver a ton of metal at high speed. The best alternative is going to be to pull over or wait to make that call and not attempt to fumble with a keyboard or favorites key while in motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ch0de_Stl View Post
    Hard to start typing when driving. Would be better to have Treo style Favorites buttons for FAST keyboard less calling...
    +1

I use the universal search a lot. Since adding the new page option to my launcher I setup page 1 with contacts but I actually find myself using speed dial (press and hold a letter) and or universal search more. I don't like the way when you add someones contact to the launcher it actually opens a card for them.

So I'd love to have a quick dial app like the OP describes. Mine might have as much as 20 #s in it but it beats typing while driving or scrolling through 200+ contacts to find them.

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll work on this app but for now I'm just learning.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/13/2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    so...who needs to be paid to make this app happen?
    I'm working on it as we speak. It's an add-on to the Phone app. When Phone opens up, it's the first scene you see. Also can be changed in Preferences to show in a 9-tile format (similar to Launcher) and in a list format similar to the Instinct's Speed Dial function. I used to have an Instinct, so I know how nice it is to have your speed dials available in a graphical interface.

Screenshots to come soon.
    The My Home Screen [**WORK IN PROGRESS**] has a quick dialer. Has a quick dialer.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks michaelgresh, Looking forward to it.
    http://bit.ly/p0aDq

I hate opening the keyboard and adding contacts to the launcher was not pretty enough for me. I converted it into an app now on my phone....now If I can fingure out javascript (I barely know any html) then I can add the option of texting people from my speedial in addition to calling them
    What I did was run the "Add/Remove Launcher Pages" hack and created a page for my speed-dial contacts. It's not quite "speed dial" since you still have to hit the number, but it's faster than trying to type their name.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast