Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I spent some quality time on the PreDev Wiki pages and successfully rooted my Pre. I've followed several of their tutorials and have really customized this sucker!!! Showing the call duration in the call log has probably been the most useful!!!

I created a couple of user accounts that I don't need anymore. How do I delete them? I've tried a couple of Unix commands like rmuser & userdel and neither seem to work. When I run either of those commands I get:

-sh: rmuser: not found

or

-sh: userdel: not found

I'm logged in as root. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jeeter; 07/08/2009 at 02:16 AM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    deluser
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    deluser
    I just tried that one and I get the same message as with the other two. I'm running this as root . . . no luck.

Can you confirm that running this command, even without specifying a username, brings up the help for that command? That would give me confidence that the command works without you having to delete one of your user accounts.
    I'm also curious about this one, I accidentally created a "/?" user when I was creating my user account for the first time and I don't know how to lookup the user list to see it or how to delete that user. I don't want random trash in my system. I don't have time to explore right now but hitting "TAB" within the command line will throw a list of all the available commands, one of them should do it, the thing is which one?

NOTE: You might have to change a setting within Putty to increase the amount of "scrollback lines" because hitting "TAB" will project a list that goes over the 200 line default limit.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
    I'm also curious about this one, I accidentally created a "/?" user when I was creating my user account for the first time and I don't know how to lookup the user list to see it or how to delete that user. I don't want random trash in my system. I don't have time to explore right now but hitting "TAB" within the command line will throw a list of all the available commands, one of them should do it, the thing is which one?

NOTE: You might have to change a setting within Putty to increase the amount of "scrollback lines" because hitting "TAB" will project a list that goes over the 200 line default limit.
    I tried hitting the "Tab" key in Putty from the command line after being logged in as root. Putty just makes the noise that signifies it doesn't like what you're doing. Does hitting the "Tab" key work for you?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Same issue. Any updates?
    I also would like to know how to delete a user.
    Did anyone ever figure this out?
    i think it was scrapped since preware and WOQI came out
    I still use SFTP and PuTTY to access my phone from my desktop, but my users are all screwed up after a webOS update, I think. I wanted to SFTP in to download some pictures from /media/internal/dcim, and realized that. Anyway, I don't really want to do a webOS doctor just to fix these user accounts.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat, need userdel. Anyone have any luck?
    Looking in the /bin directory, I see 'adduser' but no 'userdel', 'deluser', 'rmuser' etc.

Having a good look through now though as it seems strange this option isn't visible..
    did you try "busybox deluser"?
    I've tried it. They didn't include it in busybox.
    Last edited by somline; 01/10/2011 at 09:43 AM.