1.    #1  
    Okay, so I rooted my pre. Right or wrong I've been doing the following whne I wan to make changes to my pre.

1. I'll enable developer mode.
    2. SSH in with novaproxy / putty over USB.
    3. do a rootfs_open -t command. (according to the help, -t will revert back to read only on reboot)

Then I make any changes I want and when I'm done, I turn off developer mode and reboot.

I've skimmed the info about what to do after rooting your pre such as firewall and optware but it seems like an awful lot of work and I don't understand the benefits.

So my real question is, is my pre open to attacks so long as I turn off dev mode and make sure the rootfs is in Read Only mode when I'm not working on it? If I am at risk, what is the easiest/quickest solution to shore things up. It's not that I don't want to be secure but rather I only have so much time and I'd rather be working on the next hack/exploring my OS than following a bunch of instructions for which I don't know the benefits.

Thanks in advance,
    The only thing you need dev more for now is installing apps via the SDK method. As for potential risks, you don't have much to worry about as long as you're out of dev mode and not installing/running random .ipks, especialls since there aren't any random .ipks.