1.    #1  
    I have an idea for what I would consider to be a great, very useful application. I originally thought of the concept when I first started reading about the Pre when it was unveiled at CES...and quickly realized that there is nothing like it on any platform, and therefore it is something I could see doing very well on the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, etc. (Of course, I would want to see it on the Pre first!!!) my problem is, though I know exactly how I want it to look and function, and what basic elements would be required to make it as grand as I envision it could be...I know absolutely nothing about programming, for ANY platform. Where can I go from here? I would love to see this program happen, but I also want to protect my intellectual property. As the Pre was still far from release at the time, I contacted one of the better known iPhone app design firms about the idea back in March. We went through the whole NDA process, etc, and when I finally told the guy about the concept, he said I may very well have found a niche market...as nothing like this exists in the app store or anywhere else. However, I was not capable of shelling out $4000 for what he said would be one to two weeks worth of work. I would love any suggestions. Thank you.
    $4000 is cheap. The last time I consulted with a dev company for an app I'd had in mind, I was quoted no less than $50,000, and all I was looking to do was create an improved alternative for an already existing concept. Had it been doable for $4000, I certainly would have done it.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I suspect you've got an uphill battle in front of you, if you expect to find a developer willing to work for free, especially since it doesn't seem you're yet able to publicly divulge any hint at what your app will actually do. Alternatives would be to search for an investor, or to get a small business loan, or even to throw the damned thing on a credit card. Realistically, $4000 is a very small amount of capital to raise.

If you're sure your app will be a winner, do what it takes to raise the money. At the prices mobile apps tend to sell for, all you'd need in order to recover your development costs would be a few dozen to a few hundred sales. That should be pretty easy to do, whether your idea is every bit as good as you think it is or not.

Good luck with your app, whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willsdaddy0211 View Post
    I have an idea for what I would consider to be a great, very useful application. I originally thought of the concept when I first started reading about the Pre when it was unveiled at CES...and quickly realized that there is nothing like it on any platform, and therefore it is something I could see doing very well on the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, etc. (Of course, I would want to see it on the Pre first!!!) my problem is, though I know exactly how I want it to look and function, and what basic elements would be required to make it as grand as I envision it could be...I know absolutely nothing about programming, for ANY platform. Where can I go from here? I would love to see this program happen, but I also want to protect my intellectual property. As the Pre was still far from release at the time, I contacted one of the better known iPhone app design firms about the idea back in March. We went through the whole NDA process, etc, and when I finally told the guy about the concept, he said I may very well have found a niche market...as nothing like this exists in the app store or anywhere else. However, I was not capable of shelling out $4000 for what he said would be one to two weeks worth of work. I would love any suggestions. Thank you.
    You should definitely contact an attorney with specialties in Intellectual Property and get your idea protected, it is as unique and potentially valuable, although there could be considerable cost there. Once the idea is protected you have a chance to actually license the idea to several developers and let them have their own take on it, while you profit from it yourself.
    Why don't you learn some programming and make it a reality?

Or share your ideas and let/pay someone to make it for you?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ydaraishy View Post
    Why don't you learn some programming and make it a reality?

Or share your ideas and let/pay someone to make it for you?

I would love to learn some programming...however I am a single parent and unfortunately from the time standpoint I just can't do it at this time.

And I would like to share the idea, and would be willing to pay for it, or even devise a contract that gave equal rights to earnings to the developer. Its not something I would want to charge an arm and leg for...not because I don't think it would be worth it, but because I think it would find its way into many more pockets for a reasonable price point, maybe $4.99/$5.99.

As I said in the original post, my original vision was for the Pre, and with the functionality of the device, I think it would be a very useful and slick application. However, being a previous iPhone user, I think it would do very well in the app store as well. Having also used BlackBerry and WM devices, I again can see huge potential.

Though I will not just openly describe the idea, I will say this. The application would be a location based app, would utilize Google Maps, and would require push notification to function properly.

I appreciate the feedback thus far, and I look forward to further advise from those of you that know what you are doing. =)