1.    #1  
    I started building a location-aware Yelp application last week, but just today noticed that Yelp has been integrated into the Where app.

Being an avid Yelp user, I think there might still be some room for another Yelp application that utilizes additional features. What does everyone want to see in a Yelp application that is currently unavailable or inadequate in the Where application?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burntsky View Post
    I started building a location-aware Yelp application last week, but just today noticed that Yelp has been integrated into the Where app.

Being an avid Yelp user, I think there might still be some room for another Yelp application that utilizes additional features. What does everyone want to see in a Yelp application that is currently unavailable or inadequate in the Where application?
    I've been waiting for this, i'd love it, the where app doesn't work quite right..
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Map view would be great for yelp and also support authentication so you can add reviews/etc

Oh and a way to add a location into the navigation system (not sure that is possible mind you)
  4. mg3
    burntsky, i'm super excited to hear about your app! The Pre definitely needs a standalone Yelp app.

1)Bookmarks- so that if you find a place you want to check out later you can save it.

[or at least "send to phone" functionality like the website has]

2)Search nearby - although you mentioned "location-aware" so that may already be it it.

3) filters - "open now" definitely [distance and $-$$$$ if possible]

4) click to call / click to map

Some of these are reaches, I know. But am looking forward to what you can do.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by burntsky View Post

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg3 View Post
    burntsky, i'm super excited to hear about your app! The Pre definitely needs a standalone Yelp app.

1)Bookmarks- so that if you find a place you want to check out later you can save it.

[or at least "send to phone" functionality like the website has]

2)Search nearby - although you mentioned "location-aware" so that may already be it it.

3) filters - "open now" definitely [distance and $-$$$$ if possible]

4) click to call / click to map

Some of these are reaches, I know. But am looking forward to what you can do.
    -Mark
    Glad to hear there's some desire for it

I'd like to implement user authentication, which would allow Yelp's built-in bookmark functionality and reviewing, however, the current public Yelp API doesn't seem to support authentication, so I'm not sure that will become a reality.

And yes, "location-aware" means that it searches near your current location (based on current GPS coordinates); I've already finished this part of the application and it works really well.

I already have a "distance" filter under the Advanced Search options (not visible in the screenshot) and I can definitely investigate filters for price and open hours, although I'm not sure those are exposed by the Yelp API.

What I would like to do is have the ability to send an business' address to Sprint Navigation; that seems to be a feature that a lot of people complained about with the existing application, however, I'm not sure of the logistics yet. I can definitely send it to the Google Maps application, which has a lot of the same functionality.

I'd really like to implement a "map view", but this will require a lot of work and I probably won't get to that until I release a first version and gauge interest.
    I would love a more complete implementation of Yelp! You would be my hero.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    any updates on this?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yeah, the Where Yelp implementation is pretty useless since it doesn't show you things that are necessarily near your location. A standalone app would be great for this. Filter by price, cuisine, rating, distance, etc. would be nice.
    To reiterate what some said above - Where yelp is useless unless you want to go to the most pricy top rated restaraunts in the area.

iPhone Yelp app was great. I sent an to Yelp asking for a similar app for Pre.

You could (by your location), filter by 'what's hot', category (ie Restaraunt), sub category (ie Chinese), by distance, and price $-$$$$. But all of it wasn't mandatory. Clicking on the place gave you basic info, some pics and couple of reviews. You could then click reviews to read more of them, go back to info page, and do directions to here, which would take you to google maps, with 'to' prefilled with the restaraunt address.

Great app, one of the only ones I've used, other then FML. =)