Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Care to post that copy of the script?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Hi all, excellent work thus far. I just got here, having received my Pre yesterday, and am starting to delve into all of this.

Keegan - may I suggest that you modify the first post, and make a comment that this tweak is still in development? This will hopefully stop others, who don't know what they're doing, from blindly implementing what is present on the first page, then cluttering this thread up further with needless "this isn't working" replies.

I'm going to spend the next few days trying to research this as well, though several of you are way ahead of me. Hopefully someone can dig up something useful.
    I assume it wouldn't be too hard, but how would I adapt this functionality to blink when the battery gets to a certain range?
    Does anyone know if someone is working on an app that can setup light notifications for messages? I've gotten as far as loading filecoaster on to my pre but am lost when it comes to doing some of the more advanced coding.
    somebody somebody please help my light is always on now i just copied and pasted.. HELP!!! HOW DO I UNDOOO
    nvm.. now i feel dumb
    I would like to install this but I am totally new to this process...is there a how to on how to install roots and patches? I am so confused as to where to start! Please help! Thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    so i tried this last night using pager code and using a quiet wav that ended up not working anyway, went to work, noticed that once i got my first message (sms) it worked when I had the messaging app OPEN. I got excited however after that, it will blink anyway as long as messaging app is open, sigh. So when i get a chance i need to take it off and maybe later try it again. it is very cool though that we can control the LED with events.

edit: oh wow, now its blinking without any unread sms, email, or mms. and no apps open. i need to remove it!

edit: fixed, i just removed "*/5 * * * * /opt/scripts/pager" from crontabs file and then removed my pager script from /opt/scripts/, reboot, bam fixed, back to the begining but easy fix
    Last edited by Glod; 08/31/2009 at 03:03 PM.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The three gesture area LEDs, as well as the keyboard backlight LEDs, are controlled by an interesting discrete chip, National Semiconductor's "LP8501".

The LP8501 allows small microcode programs to be written to control the LED. These are very simple programs executed by the chip that allow you to automate fades and blinks by rapidly changing the characteristics of the PWM output that drive the LED.

In theory, it should be possible to write a new microcode routine for this controller that runs as an infinite loop, and generates different fading/blinking patterns for the LED. Then, the notification engine would only need to wake up and trigger this LED routine.

The only remaining catch, then, is allowing the LP8501 and LEDs to remain on when the system goes to sleep. Based on the current draw ratings for the LP8501, and the LED current requirements, I don't think that this approach would noticeably impact battery life.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    so i tried this last night using pager code and using a quiet wav that ended up not working anyway, went to work, noticed that once i got my first message (sms) it worked when I had the messaging app OPEN. I got excited however after that, it will blink anyway as long as messaging app is open, sigh. So when i get a chance i need to take it off and maybe later try it again. it is very cool though that we can control the LED with events.

edit: oh wow, now its blinking without any unread sms, email, or mms. and no apps open. i need to remove it!

edit: fixed, i just removed "*/5 * * * * /opt/scripts/pager" from crontabs file and then removed my pager script from /opt/scripts/, reboot, bam fixed, back to the begining but easy fix
    That sucks...I've been trying for the past 2 days to get pager nager working at all, and so far, nothing. I'm going to keep trying tonight, and if I get it to actually run, I'll post my findings.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    *post deleted*

disregard, i dont know whats happening anymore :P i realized i copied back the mod from the begining of this post so there is conflict, sigh. im getting distracted and determined
    Last edited by Glod; 08/31/2009 at 07:56 PM.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I know this isn't the pager nagger thread, but since it was brought up for this topic, I've been trying to get it on my phone...well tonight (with the help of K4p741nkrunch) I finally got it working...as much as it does that is.

My question is:
    Did the pager nagger hack work with the phone off when it was just playing a .wav file? Or was it the same issue that the screen had to be on?

So far (about 5 txt msgs) I haven't had any weird things happen like it's on for no reason or won't stop, so I'm leaving it on...
    Any chance this will hit WebOSquickinstall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    Any chance this will hit WebOSquickinstall?
    Contact the creator of Quick Install and request that the patch be included in the next release.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    This works great it appears to be better with Ikyo's mod http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-contact.html
    Were do i type these comands to
    Not sure of the question you are asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    One of the features I liked on my old Treo was the blinking green LED when I had a waiting text message. There's no such functionality out of the box for the Pre.

With this change, however, the center button LED will illuminate when you have a waiting text message!

As a prerequisite, you'll need the webosinternals services installed so you can run shell commands from within your application. If you already have this installed (for the my-tether application, for example) you can skip this step.

As root:

Code:
    cd /tmp/
    mount -o remount,rw /

wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/applications/blobs/raw/db385edfa3f71ceb98401c16dd94b2490bfaaae5/org.webosinternals.services/org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    ipkg install org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    rm org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    Next we'll create the script to turn on the LED:

Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/
    mkdir scripts
    cd scripts
    In vi or your editor of choice, create the file led_on.sh in the scripts directory:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 9
    echo 100 >/sys/class/leds/core_navi_center/brightness
    While still in the scripts directory, change the permissions on the file:

Code:
    chmod 744 led_on.sh
    Now we need to tie our script into the messaging application:

Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers
    Apply the following patch:

Code:
    --- notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$bak$       $Mon$ $Jul$  $6$ $14$:$04$:$10$ $2009$
    +++ $notification$-$assistant$.$js$   $Mon$ $Jul$  $6$ $18$:$48$:$17$ $2009$
    @@ -$189$,$7$ +$189$,$15$ @@
            $var$ $dashboard$ = $this$.$controller$.$getStageController$($DashboardMessageStageName$);

$if$ ($dashboard$) {
    +               $var$ $displayOn$ = $this$.$Messaging$.$DisplayState$.$isDisplayOn$();
                    $dashboard$.$delegateToSceneAssistant$(&$quot$;$update$&$quot$;);
    +               $if$ (!$displayOn$) {
    +                       $this$.$controller$.$serviceRequest$('$palm$://$org$.$webosinternals$.$shell$', {
    +                               $method$: '$runCmd$',
    +                               $parameters$: {
    +                                       $cmd$: '/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$scripts$/$led_on$.$sh$'}
    +                       });
    +               }
            } $else$ {
                    // $Create$ $a$ $dashboard$
                    $var$ $f$ = $function$($stageController$){
    @@ -$214$,$9$ +$222$,$13$ @@
                                    $this$.$isNewMessageDashboardPending$ = $true$;
                                    $createDashboard$.$delay$($5$);
                            }
    -
                    } $else$ {
                            $createDashboard$(); // $if$ $the$ $screen$ $is$ $off$, $create$ $the$ $dashboard$ $right$ $away$
    +                       $this$.$controller$.$serviceRequest$('$palm$://$org$.$webosinternals$.$shell$', {
    +                               $method$: '$runCmd$',
    +                               $parameters$: {
    +                                       $cmd$: '/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$scripts$/$led_on$.$sh$'}
    +                       });
                    }
            }
     };
    Now lock up the filesystem and reboot:

Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    /sbin/reboot
    More testing and feedback would be appreciated. Only got this working this evening and there may be an unintended side effect or two, but hopefully not <knock on wood>.
    for some reason when i tried to do this patch i got all kinds of errors such as no patch exist or something to that effect. and when i rebooted my pre its running EXTREMELY slow. its never done that before. what can i do?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    So this has been working on my pre for a few days (when the screen is awake only), until yesterday. It started turning on the lights when no msgs were unread, and even turned my phone back and forth from "Phone Offline" all while being extremely laggy.

I thought it was due to a conversation that had mysteriously dissappeared and hidding in the background, thanks to gollyzilla and this thread: Messaging App Issues, I got the issue of the missing conversation fixed, but this morning I removed the script from the crontabs/root, so I'll be putting it back on and trying it out again.
    Last edited by bdubbx; 09/02/2009 at 04:21 PM.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast