Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    I copied the txt from the webos internals, and when I type in:

sh /media/internal/pager.sh I get the following:

root@castle:/var/home/root# sh /media/internal/pager.sh
    : not foundrnal/pager.sh: line 2:
    : not foundrnal/pager.sh: line 6:
    /media/internal/pager.sh: line 75: syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
    If someone could kindly point me in the right direction to test this script, I could manage everything else...
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    dude, please try and triple check your work before posting. ensure the script is EXACTLY as it's written. the instructions are very explicit in the wiki:
    Pager Nagger - WebOS Internals

================
    Installation
    1. Copy a .wav file to /media/internal/ringtones/pager.wav (or to the ringtones directory in USB mode).
    mkdir -p /opt/scripts
    1. Copy the script to /opt/scripts/pager
    chmod +x /opt/scripts/pager
    rootfs_open -w
    1. Add the following line to /etc/cron/crontabs/root:
    */5 * * * * /opt/scripts/pager
    Remember to copy a .wav file to /media/internal/ringtones/pager.wav.

==============

1. you named it pager.sh instead of pager.
    2. you copied it to /media/internal instead of /opt/scripts

Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    I copied the txt from the webos internals, and when I type in:

sh /media/internal/pager.sh I get the following:

root@castle:/var/home/root# sh /media/internal/pager.sh
    : not foundrnal/pager.sh: line 2:
    : not foundrnal/pager.sh: line 6:
    /media/internal/pager.sh: line 75: syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
    Last edited by fishheads; 08/21/2009 at 04:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    if what Ikyo says about coding it into the messaging script, then Keegan99 are we back to square one? When a message is received or a call arrives, the phone leaves the suspended state. I'd reckon combining the newly found info about powerd -l and the modifications will allow the LEDs to stay on after the phone is suspended. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    Veeeery interesting. Where did you read/learn this?

If it enables LEDs during sleep mode, then we're in business.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    This can be a very easy fix or a hard fix depending on how you want to look at it. It is possible to prevent the phone from going into suspend mode at all when off the charger, BUT it will kill the battery life. The other way is to create a background service that checks and can wake the device.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The -l is not an option. It only works for a second or so.
    Last edited by Ikyo; 08/21/2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    This can be a very easy fix or a hard fix depending on how you want to look at it. It is possible to prevent the phone from going into suspend mode at all when off the charger, BUT it will kill the battery life. The other way is to create a background service that checks and can wake the device.
    If this is possible, can you only keep the phone out of suspend when there's a msg that hasn't been read? Maybe just sleep the screen to help with battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishheads View Post
    dude, please try and triple check your work before posting. ensure the script is EXACTLY as it's written. the instructions are very explicit in the wiki:
    Pager Nagger - WebOS Internals

================
    Installation
    1. Copy a .wav file to /media/internal/ringtones/pager.wav (or to the ringtones directory in USB mode).
    mkdir -p /opt/scripts
    1. Copy the script to /opt/scripts/pager
    chmod +x /opt/scripts/pager
    rootfs_open -w
    1. Add the following line to /etc/cron/crontabs/root:
    */5 * * * * /opt/scripts/pager
    Remember to copy a .wav file to /media/internal/ringtones/pager.wav.

==============

1. you named it pager.sh instead of pager.
    2. you copied it to /media/internal instead of /opt/scripts

I had originally done it like this... tried it again, doesn't work... for me anyways...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    trying this tonight or tomorrow for sure
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    maybe it needs to be combination of script & ipk application like pandora.

Pandora services stays on regardless if the phones display is off for certain amount of time and it just keeps on going like the energizer bunny.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    You can set an application to do that, but it still will not allow the phone to go into suspend. This will be possibly, BUT it can have a huge battery impact.
    I tried doing this (page 1 of this thread) and couldn't create the led_on.sh file because I don't know how to access the subdirectory to paste the file. It wouldn't recognize a copy con command from dos, and I got stuck. So, I copied the text directly from the rest of the procedure and now the LED flashes randomly just for the hell of it. Why can't someone just make a batch of script so it is just one big cut and paste like D2GLOBALINC does with his rooted aps? Also, how do I reset JUST THIS PROCESS, so the led stops blinking and NOT reset the whole phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkill View Post
    I tried doing this (page 1 of this thread) and couldn't create the led_on.sh file because I don't know how to access the subdirectory to paste the file. It wouldn't recognize a copy con command from dos, and I got stuck. So, I copied the text directly from the rest of the procedure and now the LED flashes randomly just for the hell of it. Why can't someone just make a batch of script so it is just one big cut and paste like D2GLOBALINC does with his rooted aps? Also, how do I reset JUST THIS PROCESS, so the led stops blinking and NOT reset the whole phone?
    Because it is still being developed. At this point only people who know how to undo the process or help develop it more should be doing this, for the exact reason you illustrated; you did something blindly and don't know how to fix it, especially since this is not dos but a linux shell.

Also, this is not anything like D2's guides. Those are largely modifications of existing files, while this is installing a service, using cron, and creating multiple scripts to make this run the way it does now. Not to take away from D2's work, but this is a more extensive mod and is not ready to have a script for people to blindly copy and paste at this point.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I want to turn on the led for messages but i have no idea how to get started. I know there are instructions post but im not sure how to get it going. Can somebody post a youtube video showing the proper steps to do this or something?

thanks in advance
    -daniel
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Caferacer is exactly right in what he said. Right now, this is not really meant to be used by the masses. This software was made to fill a gap that some of us needed. There are some IPK's out that would be better suited for people to use. I know of one that HattCzech is working on. You might want to take a look at it.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    Caferacer is exactly right in what he said. Right now, this is not really meant to be used by the masses. This software was made to fill a gap that some of us needed. There are some IPK's out that would be better suited for people to use. I know of one that HattCzech is working on. You might want to take a look at it.

yeah i think i'm going to just wait on this until something comes out. I'm interested in what HattCzech is working on. Is it easier to use with?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    is there a way to convert this into an app for the non computer speaking people (such as I)?
    Too bad WebOSQuickInstall can't add this to the .jar program!

I'd really like to see this implimented either in the next update or the QuickInstall.
    Regardless of the power issues, this is fantastic. It does show some weaknesses on palm's part, but it also shows the strengths of their operating system and the forward-thinking way in which they made this entire thing hackable. Kudos to you guys, and to them - hopefully they'll learn from this stuff!
    Ikyo, I dunno if the script you gave me is any different than the one mentioned here, but I have no problems with it not working when the phone is sleeping. I get a notification, usually wait around 1 minute, then the LED begins flashing and continues to do so until I stop it.

Is there any way to make it stop running as soon as you open the text? I know you say it only sees it as read as soon as you back out, but perhaps it could be a messenger app modification?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast