Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    As much as having an LED notification would be neat... if it worked... it is still pretty much useless for me in the real world. What many of us need is an *audible* nag to let us know we missed something (a bleep or something every X minutes during certain hours).

Most of the time, my Pre is not in view for one reason or another.

On the Treo it was really easy- install TreoAlertMgr. I would drop money for such an app on the Pre in a heartbeat.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    The TreoAlertMgr also had the LED notification. I really appreciated that app because it illuminated different colors to indicate separate things, i.e. v/m, txt. it appears to be a no-brainer for the Pre, but until then, I think this is what you're looking for, crxssi:

Pager Nagger - WebOS Internals

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    As much as having an LED notification would be neat... if it worked... it is still pretty much useless for me in the real world. What many of us need is an *audible* nag to let us know we missed something (a bleep or something every X minutes during certain hours).

Most of the time, my Pre is not in view for one reason or another.

On the Treo it was really easy- install TreoAlertMgr. I would drop money for such an app on the Pre in a heartbeat.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    If you run that script, it wouldn't be that hard to put in commands to turn on the LED. The location of the LED's is /sys/class/leds and core)navi_(center,left,right). Inside of those folders, there is a simple file called brightness that you could echo a value to.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Does any know if the pager nagger also vibrates? Or if it wakes up the phone?

Maybe a combo of the pager nagger and the light up of the light could work?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    It doesn't vibrate. It also doesn't do anything with the LED's. I am not sure you could actually make it vibrate. You might be able to with a luna-send command. If I find it, I will put the command line in here.
    Congrats on your progress so far. I will go with whomever makes this feature a reality. It has been a MAJOR OVERSIGHT that Palm has not thought about this. Who wants to wake up a phone everytime to see if there was an alert? Hell, they even did it with the Treo Pro, but not the Pre? A bunch of stupid monkeys at Palm. That, or they are incredibly greedy by making a limited feature phone i.e. touchstone is a solution to a crappy battery door, as well as letting developers do all the work and get their 30% from the apps they sell...

I have looked for this functionality from day one. I actually was looking for it with our Centro's and found Butler. It offers the LED Control, as well as "Attention grabber" which will nag you until you have acted on it.

I have emailed Rob at Hobbyist Software (maker of Butler) FROM DAY ONE about the Pre. He is hoping to make an app for the Pre. He is first waiting for the phone itself (He lives in the UK). Secondly, he is making some other utilities as we speak I believe.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I am testing a new version of the script that has vibrate, LED and sound right now.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The new script is up with vibration and LED's.
    the script in the OP? also, last time I read about this, there was a problem with clearing the LEDs after it had already been read, or something like that. What are the current known issues with the script?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Pager Nagger - WebOS Internals

Nothing that we have seen. You can run the script manually from a command prompt prior to putting it in a CRON if you want to try it out.
    hmm. whats crond?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    It has links of how to install it. If you aren't familiar enough with Linux to run that, I wouldn't suggest trying to install the script.
    I've got the Pager Nagger up and running, took a little bit of fussing and testing but I'm happy with the results. Now if I miss a message when it initially comes in, I have 5 minutes to read it without being hassled before the system repeatedly makes a short notification sound, vibrates, than cycles the LEDs (in that order) until I read the message. Right now it's only working for texts but I'm sure it could work for other messages.

Thanks Ikyo!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    It has links of how to install it. If you aren't familiar enough with Linux to run that, I wouldn't suggest trying to install the script.
    Thanks for modifying this! I created the script and thought I had crond started, however, when I try and initialize it, I get an odd message.

sudo -i initctl start crond
    initctl: (154719/251595809) Job not changed: crond

When I run, top, I don't see crond running. What am I doing wrong here?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    doh! forgot a fi statement. got it going, but I notice that the script doesn't kick in when the messaging app is already open. it doesn't matter if the device is awake or asleep. if the messaging app is closed, then it works, asleep or not. is it something during the check?

cmd='SELECT summary FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE unreadCount > 0 AND type = "SMS" AND summary != "";'
    output=$(echo $cmd|sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 2> /dev/null) || return 0

Quote Originally Posted by fishheads View Post
    Thanks for modifying this! I created the script and thought I had crond started, however, when I try and initialize it, I get an odd message.

sudo -i initctl start crond
    initctl: (154719/251595809) Job not changed: crond

When I run, top, I don't see crond running. What am I doing wrong here?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Nope, it is checking the database not an application.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Anyone seen any issues with the new script?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Wow! Finally the light is working. Haven't done it yet, but will be so tonight.

I'm still learning this linux stuff, and I was wondering if it were possible to omit the sound playback (maybe even the vibrate) in the script and change the crond setting to 10 seconds? This way the light sort of blinks when you missed a message.

Even better (IMO), can the script be modified to blink every 5-10 seconds, but the vibrate/sound play every 5 minutes? This would be really beneficial if ur phone is on the counter or something and you just happened to not be around it when it vibrates/plays sound.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The script will play the sound and vibrate every 5 minutes and LED's cycle all the time
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    it seems to work as advertised when plugged in via USB. But when unplugged, what I'm seeing is that the LED lights up until the phone goes to sleep. When the phone is asleep, no more blinking occurs. But when it hit the power button to turn the phone on, the blinking starts up. It seems to be the same issue Keegan99 ran into with the power-off scripts of sorts that check to see if everything is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    The script will play the sound and vibrate every 5 minutes and LED's cycle all the time