Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Well f that lol i ended up just doing the fresh install of web-os 1.4 so we shall see how my own tut works out :/
    ok so i got preware installed and what not but i dont know where to put
    starting and stoping is quite easy, you litterally type stop PmConnectionManager and start PmConnectionManager at the command line. As far as adding the ip table rule you edit the file in /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear and you will see a few iptable lines near the end of the file. just add another line with the rule that I posted here. Here is what mine looks like:

pre-start script
    # Add firewall rule to allow SSH access over WiFi on port 222
    # Remove the "-i eth0" on both of the following lines to enable SSH access
    # over the cellular data network (EVDO, etc).
    /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
    /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT
    /usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    end script
    seeing as there is no dropbear optware folder......gonna try the org."....".optware and hope it works....anyone got a better idea?
    WEll i am set up and running fine tunning my little/big TuT. for others if someone would like....i think that it is a pretty good walk-through and gives a user just enough vi cmd's to be dangerous
    but yeah i am posting from usb tether currently gotta get a bt dongle to test that out...after i enable the interface and then also see if i can share the NEt with others through a bridge of phone and the wireless...........DAMN this too way too long BUT but with the fresh PalmOS install it runs hella fast compared to when it went to 1.4 and became crash fest. lol......have rebooted a few times and still starts so should be good to go....here is a link from Speedtest.net with it not too bad i guess
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/760668069.png
    So 1.4.1.1 just came out.....just re-enable dnsmasq.palm.conf changes,
    set /usr/bin/ PmNetConfigManager /proc/sys/....... back to /fake/sys/....... and restart the services should be good to go.... also check your echo 1 > command w/e
    as well as the /etc/networks vi options to make sure that it didn't change IP_Forward=Yes back to NO...... I am up and running again and posting from computer usb->phone shocker lol
    I can't edit the files because I get the message 'permission denied' when I ssh to my pixi. Please help me gain access to my file system on pixi.
    I setup ssh key as described in the webosinternalswiki but can't get in with the device ip. I tried the gateway ip and got in. I can do all the commands involved but not with most of the system files. I read something about hacking the phone to allow NAT and then a link to this thread, but I can't fnd this NAT thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by btsbits View Post
    I can't edit the files because I get the message 'permission denied' when I ssh to my pixi. Please help me gain access to my file system on pixi.
    I setup ssh key as described in the webosinternalswiki but can't get in with the device ip. I tried the gateway ip and got in. I can do all the commands involved but not with most of the system files. I read something about hacking the phone to allow NAT and then a link to this thread, but I can't fnd this NAT thing.
    AS far as i can tell... not being at your phone but are u trying to use the sudo command? that may further your way. Also i have moved away from the ssh side completely, if it still works for u great but when the dhcp and usb_0 get turned off you end up having no ip on your computer to log into ur phone....enless of course u log-in from the external ip. But you would still need to have a admin user already creater with the 755 or w/e user rights
    In any i have been sticking with the novaproxy.py with the settings as shown on pg 8 you should have no problems getting access and no need to do sudo sense u are already "logged-in" as root.

I suggest just downloading the correct python and putty settings to just connect to the phone via USB and change all the settings there.... if anyone wants i can pm/email my finalized "how to" combination text of everyones work in the easyier one stop shop......just pm me or post here lol.....sad man i am.
    I am a rather novice linux user and became confused with many of the things people were saying to do, especially since I didn't know the oddities of the vi text editor. So I sat down with one of my linux guru friends and compiled the following comprehensive step-by-step guide to tethering your Pre so that anyone with a small amount of linux knowledge could do it. I am greatly indebted to those who did this first. Here goes.

Preliminary steps:
    Download the Palm SDK developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_ajaxregister&view=register&sdkdownload

Now on your Palm Pre, type “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”. This enables the developer mode. Click the icon to enable that mode.

Connect your Pre via USB cable to your linux computer. Click “just charge” when the option pops up on your Pre.

Open a terminal (in Ubuntu, it's Applications>Accessories>Terminal).

In the terminal type:
    novaterm
    then hit enter. This command is available once you install the SDK. This allows communication to your phone.

Change directories to /usr/bin by typing:
    cd /usr/bin
    then hit enter.

Now you will need to mount the filesystem and make it writable. Type:
    mount -oremount,rw /
    hit enter.

Next you need to stop the process PmNetConfigManager. Type:
    stop PmNetConfigManager
    hit enter.

For safety sake, make a copy of the PmNetConfigManager file. Type:
    cp PmNetConfigManager PmNetConfigManager.orig

Now you need to edit the file with the vi editor. From what I've read elsewhere, vi is the only editor you should use. Maybe it's the only one installed on the phone. Type:
    vi PmNetConfigManager
    hit enter

Now you need to search for the correct field to edit. There's going to be a lot of junk, so search for the word “forward” by typing:
    /forward
    hit enter

Now search for the third occurance by typing n (for next) twice. Type:
    n n

Now you're at a string that says “Coundn't open %s for IP Forwarding mode^@/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward” Arrow your cursor over to the p in proc and type:
    R
    This starts replacing text. Now type:
    fake

This has changed proc to fake. Now hit ESC.

Now you need to save and exit. Type:
    :wq
    hit enter

Now restart PmNetConfigManager. Type:
    start PmNetConfigManager
    hit enter.

Edit /etc/network/options. Change the line that says ip_forward=no to ip_forward=yes

Edit /etc/pmnetconfig/if-down.
    Type:
    vi /etc/pmnetconfig/if-down
    hit enter

Comment out the two lines
    ${LOG} "${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
    ${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    by putting a # in front of them. Move the cursor to in front of the $ and type the letter I to enter insert mode. Then put your # in front of both lines.

Save the file and quit. Type:

Create a file called /etc/event.d/ipforwarding with these contents:

### START ###
    description "Start IP Forwarding for tether"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

# don't try to log any output
    console none

pre-start script
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    end script
    ### END ###

This will ensure that everything comes back after a phone reboot.

Now edit the following configuration file:
    Vi /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    Add the line “interface=usb0” below the existing interface= line (or interface=bridge0)
    Add the line “dhcp-range=192.168.0.11,192.168.0.12,12h” below the existing dhcp-range lines

Run “usbnet enable”. Type:
    usbnet enable
    hit enter

Reboot the phone as instructed. Type:
    reboot
    hit enter

When your phone reboots, it should now be recognized by a linux machine as a networking device on usb0. If you want Windows to recognize your phone correctly, you'll need to follow the download the appropriate drivers. Instructions can be found here: webos-internals.org/wiki/USBnet_networking_setup
    yay someone else decided to make a HOW TO do this _____ thing :P granted that i didn't type out every single thing u did for those with no linus experiance....so good for u lol last post deleted for bad language...ah well
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintBrook View Post
    I am a rather novice linux user and became confused with many of the things people were saying to do, especially since I didn't know the oddities of the vi text editor. So I sat down with one of my linux guru friends and compiled the following comprehensive step-by-step guide to tethering your Pre so that anyone with a small amount of linux knowledge could do it. I am greatly indebted to those who did this first. Here goes.

Preliminary steps:
    Download the Palm SDK developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_ajaxregister&view=register&sdkdownload

Now on your Palm Pre, type “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”. This enables the developer mode. Click the icon to enable that mode.

Connect your Pre via USB cable to your linux computer. Click “just charge” when the option pops up on your Pre.

Open a terminal (in Ubuntu, it's Applications>Accessories>Terminal).

In the terminal type:
    novaterm
    then hit enter. This command is available once you install the SDK. This allows communication to your phone.

Change directories to /usr/bin by typing:
    cd /usr/bin
    then hit enter.

Now you will need to mount the filesystem and make it writable. Type:
    mount -oremount,rw /
    hit enter.

Next you need to stop the process PmNetConfigManager. Type:
    stop PmNetConfigManager
    hit enter.

For safety sake, make a copy of the PmNetConfigManager file. Type:
    cp PmNetConfigManager PmNetConfigManager.orig

Now you need to edit the file with the vi editor. From what I've read elsewhere, vi is the only editor you should use. Maybe it's the only one installed on the phone. Type:
    vi PmNetConfigManager
    hit enter

Now you need to search for the correct field to edit. There's going to be a lot of junk, so search for the word “forward” by typing:
    /forward
    hit enter

Now search for the third occurance by typing n (for next) twice. Type:
    n n

Now you're at a string that says “Coundn't open %s for IP Forwarding mode^@/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward” Arrow your cursor over to the p in proc and type:
    R
    This starts replacing text. Now type:
    fake

This has changed proc to fake. Now hit ESC.

Now you need to save and exit. Type:
    hit enter
    Now restart PmNetConfigManager. Type:
    start PmNetConfigManager
    hit enterEdit /etc/network/options. Change the line that says ip_forward=no to ip_forward=yes

Edit /etc/pmnetconfig/if-down.
    Type:
    vi /etc/pmnetconfig/if-down
    hit enter

Comment out the two lines
    ${LOG} "${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
    ${ECHO} 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    by putting a # in front of them. Move the cursor to in front of the $ and type the letter I to enter insert mode. Then put your # in front of both lines.

Save the file and quit. Type:

Create a file called /etc/event.d/ipforwarding with these contents:

### START ###
    description "Start IP Forwarding for tether"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

# don't try to log any output
    console none

pre-start script
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    end script
    ### END ###

This will ensure that everything comes back after a phone reboot.

Now edit the following configuration file:
    Vi /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    Add the line “interface=usb0” below the existing interface= line (or interface=bridge0)
    Add the line “dhcp-range=192.168.0.11,192.168.0.12,12h” below the existing dhcp-range lines

Run “usbnet enable”. Type:
    usbnet enable
    hit enter

Reboot the phone as instructed. Type:
    reboot
    hit enter

When your phone reboots, it should now be recognized by a linux machine as a networking device on usb0. If you want Windows to recognize your phone correctly, you'll need to follow the download the appropriate drivers. Instructions can be found here: webos-internals.org/wiki/USBnet_networking_setup
    yeah nice post, i can do it ok.
    Last edited by nirvanahue; 03/13/2011 at 11:17 AM.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789