Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1.    #101  
    hmm that is weird. did you mount your root file system rw? if so, I would just change the dnsmasq.palm.conf file and do all your other changes you need and just reboot the phone. see if that works.
    ok found dnsmasq in /usr/bin wasn't started so i started it stoped and started again....checked settings....set....still not pulling a ip at all...what would the ip and dns settings be if it was working? never really looked when it worked *kicks self*
    and everything from the usbnet setup i did...i also noticed that i have a usb0:1 interface?! i assume that should be there....duno thu
    In dnsmasq the range u add i did and that goes under the 10.x.x.x (bluetooth set) and add interface=usb0 under bs10 or whatnot.(correct?)
    hmm i guess i need major help *cry
  3.    #103  
    that is the correct mount command. as far as the dnsmasq file is concerned, yes just add it after the bluetooth entry, as in right underneath it like this:

interface=usb0
    dhcp-range=192.168.0.11,192.168.0.12,12h

save that, restart the service, stop novaproxy and all that stuff, reconnect your pre to USB and make sure your computer has the usbnet drivers. and that should do it.
    ok i think while trouble shooting this i must have done something wrong.....i got the ip now. but for w/e reason i am not able to pull any internet from either the laptop or the pre? any ideas what i did? or how to fix?
  5.    #105  
    make sure you start back up your pmnetconfigmanager, then for good measure reboot the phone and make sure you can get online before you connect it to the computer, once that is good, connect it to the computer and see if you can get online. If not, check your forwarding by typing:

echo /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

that should spit out a 1 at the command line. let me know how that works for you. I'll check back in 30min.
    ok i know what i was in that i think i screwed up
    it is " /etc/network/ vi interfaces "
    i know i deleted a line and i think* i put it back right. but mind posting what urs says....i hope this is the ficx and not just some random thing.
    ** hopefully this will fix it if it is slightly wrong....damn hate code !
    nvm It works again after some cahnges and a reboot......lol

THANKS ALOT
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Something is definitely wrong, I found the file. Stopped the service. Backed up the file....this time ... searching while educated on how my client, vi and binary files interact.....I still didn't find 'forward' in the file PmNetConfigManager and there were only 498 lines.

Now i cut and pasted that to ensure I didn't fat finger anything.

Now, I did find and changed it when I thought I was dealing with PmConnectionManager. I rebooted and connected via USB and could not connect to the net.

Having said all of that could My Tether be interfereing with PmConnectionManager????

It should not interfere with my ability to find that word in PmConnectionManager.
    sorry i bet this is answered by now but i was just reading over the thread.... in 1.2.1 it is PmConnectionManager and in 1.3.1 it is PmNetConfigManager (although in 1.2.1 PmNetConfigManager is there that is not what is being used)
    MatterOfFactJack
  9.    #109  
    not a problem, glad I could help.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm up and running. I forgot that I had to add the iptable routes. I found the right PmNetConfigManager with the correct number of lines as well.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

thx to everyone who helped.
    Just got it working. Thanks a lot! I know it may be too much to ask, but is it possible to tether through wifi?
    good stuff
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Great little tweak. Ah, how I love linux. Nothin' you can't change! Thanks!
    I mean dude, do you guys make these instructions confusing on purpose or what? It seems like every hack( "make pre as an IPhone", "Precorder", and this tethering ish) is confusing when the OP posts it, but when someone comes along and explains the processes in detail I feel stupid cause it endds up being the easiest thing you could possibly do.

So, my question is, can we get you OP guys to explain a little more indepth or can we get a glossary of commonly used linux langauge. I had to read this whole post to find out what vi was. Still don't know but i know its in putty, now.

Also, which IP do I use to login to putty, my pre's IP or my internet on my computer IP.

And please, do not take this as me talkin smack cause I really appreciate all the hard work and innovation you guys put forth. I just wish some of these tweaks and hacks where a little more in depth and dumbed down with the instructions.

One
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Ummm, your desire to tweak your Pre [and your presence on this board] assumes at least a couple of things....that you have at least a very basic knowledge of linux and/or are ready to roll up your sleeves and dig in and learn a little something about Linux.

1.) Google is your friend. There are plenty of sites on the interweb that explain VI and a lot of linux basics.

2.) Based on some of your questions, I would start at webos-internals.org [accessing linux] and then venture out from there.

3.) Even if a glossary of terms existed most people wouldn't read it and would end up asking the same question you are asking here. That isn't good or bad, it just seems to be human nature.

I would like to welcome you here. The resources here for you to learn are virutually limitless if you have patience. Heck in time you could probably write your own apps.
    lol. Your right about that glossary. I appreciate your respond. I will take your advice. What's another 2 months of research on top of the 2 i've been at this. Lol. Actually i've learned alot from these boards, its just this tethering that throws me off. So, I went and bought it. Still getting the same code 10 error when downloading usbnet.

but, I will continue to research.
  17.    #117  
    Big,

I was also getting a code 10 driver cannot start on a friends windows xp machine as well. is that what you are getting? if so make sure that the computer has Service Pack 3 installed. I saw some other posts about this somewhere, and that what fixed it for my friend. let me know if that works, if not we'll go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by big****t View Post
    lol. Your right about that glossary. I appreciate your respond. I will take your advice. What's another 2 months of research on top of the 2 i've been at this. Lol. Actually i've learned alot from these boards, its just this tethering that throws me off. So, I went and bought it. Still getting the same code 10 error when downloading usbnet.

but, I will continue to research.
    Installing windows XP Service Pack 3 resolves the code 10 error during diver installation usually.

download can be found here

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...P3-x86-ENU.exe
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post
    I did this and kept checking my /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file and it is now staying at 1.
    I redid the edit after the 1.3.5 update and the value in this file is getting reset to 0 on every reboot. If I edit the file and set it to 1 then tethering works (I'm tethering now). Anybody got any ideas to make it stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefect View Post
    I redid the edit after the 1.3.5 update and the value in this file is getting reset to 0 on every reboot. If I edit the file and set it to 1 then tethering works (I'm tethering now). Anybody got any ideas to make it stick?
    I also redid the edit after the 1.3.5 update and am having the same issue. It appears that when I manually change it to a 1, I am able to tether, and it will stay at 1 until I disconnect that tethering session (via bluetooth in my case), at which point it switches to 0. I actually had a copy of the old PmNetConfigManager file from 1.3.1 and tried putting that in place to use, but it made no difference. So it looks as though the 1 is also being set back to 0 by a different file elsewhere now.

I'm thinking of adding a line to the event.d script to echo the number 1 into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward at bootup, and also, if possible to add a cron job that will make sure the it stays set to 1 on a regular interval, like every minute.

Another idea would be to see what script gets run whenever bluetooth is turned on or off from the graphical interface, and add a line to that script which echo's a "1" to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward. That way, you can just turn bluetooth off for a moment and back on to prep the device before tethering.

These may be more workarounds than solutions to the root of the issue, but at least until someone can figure out what is setting the 1 back to 0, one of these ideas should work in theory.

If somebody implements either of these methods before I do, feel free to post instructions/results. I will do the same.