Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    im stuck on step 3
    i have no idea of what to do here im new to code everything else went good but this got me
    please help
    Just issue the command

stop PmConnectionManager
    ok ,, still stuck
    im on win xp here and i started the cmd prompt
    is that the problem
    is the putty app what im supposed to be using here?
    if so can i get the cromagnum version on how to do this ... please hold my hand for i know not what i am doing and i dont speako linuxo
    fain you the man by the way thanks for all your help
    by the way i got frustrated and had to unplug and restart the phone
    i hope i didnt damage anything

is anyone in the sanfernando valley that can help me ?
    Quote Originally Posted by elateok View Post
    ok ,, still stuck
    im on win xp here and i started the cmd prompt
    is that the problem
    is the putty app what im supposed to be using here?
    if so can i get the cromagnum version on how to do this ... please hold my hand for i know not what i am doing and i dont speako linuxo
    fain you the man by the way thanks for all your help
    by the way i got frustrated and had to unplug and restart the phone
    i hope i didnt damage anything

is anyone in the sanfernando valley that can help me ?
    Yes use putty. I think you can use telnet too but I have no experience with telnet and the pre.
    ok here is the skinny
    i used the command prompt to get to where i am now
    wich is up to the point to use vi PmConnectionManager
    what is vi ?
    is it a program or a command and i got to putty but where do i go in that utility to execute these commands
    i tried the commands to root to the phone but got the could not find host error message
    ok here is the skinny
    i used the command prompt to get to where i am now
    wich is up to the point to use vi PmConnectionManager
    what is vi ?
    is it a program or a command and i got to putty but where do i go in that utility to execute these commands
    i tried the commands to root to the phone but got the could not find host error message
    Putty is a ssh client. You can use it to log into the phones ssh server. A ssh server/client system is a system that lets you log into a remote machine and execute commands on that machine as if you was sitting at that computer.

vi is a text editor, an advanced one at that.

i believe someone else asked this in this very thread somewhere.
    heres a good vi command reference
    ok i have been fiddleing here for a wile and now have become a lil more educated in the issue at hand thanks
    now
    i have figured out the host name for putty to give me the prompt but i can not input test into the window
    is it a wrong host name ?
    can i change the host name so i can edit ?
    ok i have been fiddleing here for a wile and now have become a lil more educated in the issue at hand thanks
    now
    i have figured out the host name for putty to give me the prompt but i can not input test into the window
    is it a wrong host name ?
    can i change the host name so i can edit ?
    Where are you entering the hostnamei? Why are you trying to input test?

I am guessing you are entering the hostname for the address? If you do not have a local dns or edited your hosts file you will not be able to use a hostname to connect, use the ip instead. You can set this in the wifi settings on the pre. Just make sure it matches the network your pc is on. ex. 192.168.0.*
    I can't get this to work for nothing... All I would like to do is simply remove that darn emergency dial option... I can get in Putty fine, but the editor part is another story... I went through all the steps up until the Quilt install, but checking the Optware-bootstrap log yeilds nothing at all... Should I be plugged in the device (USB) /w USB being choose as the connection option. I can't firgure this out. I've called 911 by mistake 3 times.
    Also, where does the "Emulator" come in to play?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I looked today after the 1.2.0 update and the PmConnectionManager file was not updated in 1.2.0 so the patch I applied previously did not need to be re-applied.
    (This also means that the instructions in the first post of this thread should still work in 1.2.0.)
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ugh... /usr/bin/PmConnectionManager doesn't even exist in 1.3.1
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Ugh... /usr/bin/PmConnectionManager doesn't even exist in 1.3.1
    Does that mean the current method of tethering won't work in 1.3.1?
    The new file is PmNetConfigManager, in the same place and the same edit works.

Enabling usbnet and making that edit was all I needed to get tethering working over bluetooth. But for some reason I couldn't get an IP address over USB cable, so I had to set it manually. All good now.
    Well, since MyTether is crashing for me, I guess this is my best bet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefect View Post
    Nice!

Enabling usbnet and making that edit was all I needed to get tethering working over bluetooth. But for some reason I couldn't get an IP address over USB cable, so I had to set it manually. All good now.
    What's "usbnet"?

Somebody was telling me that one would need to replace the qualcomm driver in order to do the wifi tethering... but it looks like that's not the case??
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Thanks! I made the edit and all works fine now. One oddity I found was that I stopped PmNetConfigManager, edited it and restarted, but it wasn't working. I looked and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward still contained 0. Everything looked right, so I rebooted. Voila, it then worked.

Dave
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am having one of those days where I can't even get velcro to work right.

I went to /usr/bin

backed up PmConnectionManager and PmNetConfigManager

Stopped both services one at a time and tried to edit each file.

1) They're binary files and all I get is binary characters.

2) I try to search for "forward" anyway and it's not found in either file.

Can someone help me out?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I am having one of those days where I can't even get velcro to work right.

I went to /usr/bin

backed up PmConnectionManager and PmNetConfigManager

Stopped both services one at a time and tried to edit each file.

1) They're binary files and all I get is binary characters.

2) I try to search for "forward" anyway and it's not found in either file.

Can someone help me out?
    Use VI for editing not nano. :/forward will help search for it... its the third one hidden in @ is a 0 change it to a 1 also maybe upgrade to version 1.3.1 if this is the tethering method you will be using
    MatterOfFactJack
  20.    #80  
    jack87 is correct, you need to use VI as nano cannot handle binaries like VI can. Also, if you do not want to reboot your phone you can type this command into your pre to enable tethering right away:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

voila, you should be able to get on right away.