Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Would anyone recommend this tethering method over the newest one? http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...soon-wifi.html
    They way he advertises that it might be better. It doesn't modify any system files as this method does. I am worried about this when the next update comes down. I do not think it would matter much aside from overwrighting the modified file and breaking tethering functionality.

This method in this forum might be easier once it is set up because it is plug and play no need to use any menu or hit any buttons. Just plug the usb in and go.

That software might do this too just with a gui. Defently worth checking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Would anyone recommend this tethering method over the newest one? http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...soon-wifi.html
    I'm sure they all work equally as well, the differences seem to be in the setup/usage.
  4.    #44  
    I think that program has been worked on very hard and put together very well. It looks like a really nice piece of software that makes tethering for the end user very simple. The only reason that I would tether this way instead of using the program is that since the program doesn't modify any files, it is probably shutting down pmconnectionmanager, I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't see any other way to do it. I'm not completely sure what pmconnectionmanager does, but I've heard from different people it is important to have running to keep your internet connection alive. So from that stand point, I like the hack a bit better, the other thing is the fact that with the hack you're essentially always tether ready, you just plug and go without stating up any applications. That's my 2 cents, but don't get me wrong, the program looks like a very nice piece of software.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, when you're hacking your phone to do something your service plan isn't allowing for, IE stealing service, I wouldn't really complain that its not doing what an "internet connection" should be doing.

Graet find here though. Seems the easiest of all the tether work arounds. I don't know much about a lot of the programming though so how hard would it be possibly in the future to write a program that essentially automatically goes in and switches that setting?
    I still have to disagree. I pay for an unlimited data plan... I'm using unlimited data through my plan... so, in essence, I'm only getting my money's worth!
    Hello and thank you for all the help with your post on tethering but I messed up my PmConnectionManager file , could you point me to where I can get a copy of it to replace mine...Im new to linux and I think I screwed up my back up too and now my pre wont connect to the internet . Thanks for your help.
    fain thanks for your help...
    but Im a total newb to linux and of course the pre
    how to I get it on my pre??

Forum not letting me pm u cuz im a new user
    fain thanks I have copied the files to my laptop you can take them down if you need to, Im still not sure how to copy to my pre..
    you can put it in the usb drive via usb mode. Then when you ssh into it they will be in

/media/internal

from here you can cp them to the /usr/bin just keep a copy of the original and patched. just in case.

the command without renaming the files would be
    Code:
    sudo cp /media/internal/PmConnectionManager.modified /usr/bin/PmConnectionManager
    Just make sure the name ends up being PmConnectionManager with out the extension.
    Last edited by fain; 07/12/2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Wow, this certainly looks simple enough for people who know what they're doing, kudos zeropoint46. But, erm, any chance on putting together a guide for those of us that have no clue what we're doing? I'm able to follow the steps at predev.wikidot.com/rooting , but after that I'm pretty lost. What do you mean by "ssh access (dropbear or openssh)" Is that just using putty to connect to the device? And what about "ability to use VI or editor of your choice." I'm not sure how one goes about doing that? Once you log in is vi built into putty or something? Do you have to download and install that separately? I just switched over from a ppc6700 and the only reason I used that was because tethering was simple, this is not nearly as simple. Starting to regret buying it :/
    "ssh access (dropbear or openssh)" Is that just using putty to connect to the device?
    Yes. The predev.wikidot.com site has the info needed to get that far.

And what about "ability to use VI or editor of your choice." I'm not sure how one goes about doing that? Once you log in is vi built into putty or something?

Sort of. Putty is an SSH client which lets you bring up a remote command prompt. VI is a command line text editor that comes included with the Pre and nearly all Linux distributions.

Do you have to download and install that separately?
    Some people prefer an easier to use command line text editor.
    "ssh access (dropbear or openssh)" Is that just using putty to connect to the device?
    Yes. The predev.wikidot.com site has the info needed to get that far.

And what about "ability to use VI or editor of your choice." I'm not sure how one goes about doing that? Once you log in is vi built into putty or something?

Sort of. Putty is an SSH client which lets you bring up a remote command prompt. VI is a command line text editor that comes included with the Pre and nearly all Linux distributions.

Do you have to download and install that separately?
    Some people prefer an easier to use command line text editor.
  13.    #53  
    VI is built into your phone, once you use putty to SSH into your phone, you will have access to VI. I would not recommend using any other editor unless you are very comfortable with everything already mentioned in this post. As noted in this thread earlier nano editor does not work. This is because of the way each editor handles editing executables. Remember, we are editing a compiled file, which normally should not be edited at all, so weird things can happen. That said, vi seems to work with out any issues, so I would just stick to that. You only changing one character and saving the file, then you never have to use VI again. Anyways, I've had this mod now for about a month with no issues, and I can still just plug in and tether with out any issues.
    With all the 1.1 hoopla I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned this. The upgrade broke it, but I repeated the edit to PmConnectionManager from the original post and that fixed it. It works exactly as before, and I'm posting from a tethered PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefect View Post
    With all the 1.1 hoopla I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned this. The upgrade broke it, but I repeated the edit to PmConnectionManager from the original post and that fixed it. It works exactly as before, and I'm posting from a tethered PC.
    I rarely tether and I have been working on a new roam only script so I haven't had time to test this. I am glad the hack is still the same though, good news
    I'm a complete linx newbie, so I'd appreciate the help. I went through the process of rooting my Palm Pre. That went fine. Then I used the automated process of installing dropbear. It then asked me for a user name and password. After completing this step I typed 'usbnet enable'. It rebooted my Palm Pre... And this is where I am stuck.. I'm using Windows XP and Putty to try to connect. What are the correct settings? I tried connecting SSH connecting to ip 'localhost'.. No connection/connection refused. I also connected my palm to the web to the site 'checkip.dyndns.org' and tried connecting with Putty to that ip address.. Still no luck. What am I doing wrong? I'm assuming that the automated process I did in the beginning closed up the 'root' login procedure and replaced it with my user name / password... but I can't get it to ask for login info.. Any one with suggestions? Oh.. When I now connect my Palm Pre to my computer, the usb connection fails... Is there a way to turn off the 'usbnet enable' I did with my Palm Pre earlier?
  17.    #57  
    perfect, thats awesome, I just got the update and re-enabled it myself and it seems to be working as well. Yeah I don't understand why people don't jump on this mod more either, I mean you don't need any apps and it's always on, and you don't have to stop pmconnectionmanager, but to each his own though. That "mytether" app looks really nicely done though, and the ability to tether via wifi is a nice bonus.

Zeus,
    make sure you follow every instuction on this page exactly or your usbnet may not work correctly when connected to your pc

USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals
    You don't need mytether to make wifi tethering work. Now with the new commandline app you can set it up via iwconfig. I hav not messed with it but the instructions can be found here. Iwconfig is a wifi configuration tool for linux for those who do not know.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=185206

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1669830

It should work. You could setup a script open the command term and run it.

I personally do not see much use for this though as it will drain the battery and I wouldn't share a bandwidth limited evdo connection anyways. Unless usb is unavailable I would not use it.

Edit: sorry for the mobile link I am on my pre
    Last edited by fain; 08/01/2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: better link
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post
    hello all,

I'm new here but I love the site. I posted this on the "possible tether work-around" thread but I wanted to make sure everybody got a chance to see it, and that thread is pretty long now. I used to have my 800w hacked for tethering and when I found the options of tethering available to the pre (so far) they just didn't quite cut it. I didn't want to have to ssh to my phone and use a socks proxy or run an app to shut down pmconnectionmanager every time I wanted to connect, so I modified the connectionmanager program to stop change ip_forward to 0. Here are the steps:

Prerequisites:
    rooted pre
    ssh access (dropbear or openssh)
    ability to use VI or editor of your choice

optional prereq:
    usbnet setup and dhcp setup

1) ssh to the phone, sudo to root and go to /usr/bin

2) cp PmConnectionManager PmConnectionManager.orig just in case you mess something up

3) stop PmConnectionManager

4) vi PmConnectionManager and do a find for "forward" (with vi you use / then the string you are looking for)

5) the third "forward" you find should say "Disabling IP Forwarding^@0^@^@^@"

6) change the 0 to a 1, save and quit

7) start PmConnectionManager

I did this and kept checking my /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file and it is now staying at 1. with this and the correct IPtable rules I can just connect my phone via usb or bluetooth and get right on the net without ssh or anything else. I rebooted the phone many times and it has stuck also the iptable rull I'm using looks something like this:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

I added that iptable rule to my dropbear upstart script so it gets added on startup. If you wanted to make a separate upstart you could, but I was too lazy. I'm using webOS 1.0.4 and it's working great. Let me know if you have any questions. thanks.
    ok i got all the pres done but an am stuck in this first instruction
    step 1
    by the way i am new to all this ,,, please be kind. its a miracle ive gotten this far .... i saw the caveman bit .....unga unga ..lol

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elateok View Post
    ok i got all the pres done but an am stuck in this first instruction
    step 1
    by the way i am new to all this ,,, please be kind. its a miracle ive gotten this far .... i saw the caveman bit .....unga unga ..lol

thanks
    When you ssh into the phone. If you are on windows you are probably using putty.
    Switch from your user account
    User@castle$
    To root
    root@castle#
    By this command
    Code:
    sudo -i
    Then switch to the directory /usr/bin
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast