Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well, when you're hacking your phone to do something your service plan isn't allowing for, IE stealing service, I wouldn't really complain that its not doing what an "internet connection" should be doing.
    I don't think this kind of commentary has any place in this thread or one like it, maybe you are looking for a more philosophical thread on the meaning of "everything unlimited", furthermore your language reflects poorly upon your understanding of basic networking and the linux operating system. which makes it even more unlikely someone would be willing to "make a program" for you that switches on and off this ability.... But, without hesitation let me help you with your question:
    so how hard would it be possibly in the future to write a program that essentially automatically goes in and switches that setting?
    for you impossible, for a programmer that could "possibly" violate the laws of physics, probable.

look, zyphlin, my point is, you can't come here accusing people of "stealing internet" in one sentence then ask for people to write a program for you because you can't figure out how make it work for yourself.... Use more of your time learning how to work your pre and less of it accusing people of stealing. This is a community of people trying to help each other out and comments like this do not contribute to the community and are frankly distasteful.
    Last edited by zeropoint46; 07/07/2009 at 08:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Wow. Never direct-edited an ELF binary before. When I was reading this writeup I assumed that the file in question was a shell script. Nope!

Did your success require a reboot?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post
    hello all,

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

I added that iptable rule to my dropbear upstart script so it gets added on startup. If you wanted to make a separate upstart you could, but I was too lazy. I'm using webOS 1.0.4 and it's working great. Let me know if you have any questions. thanks.
    FWIW, my device won't quite work when using these instructions. I didn't quite resolve what the issue was, but I had the same issue when using the tethering utilities. Some weird routing issue was causing the packets to loop betwixt gateways on the phone when enabling forwarding.

I'm not the swiftest when it comes to networking routing, so I haven't resolved the underlying issue...but I did notice that bringing down the wifi route seems to fix the issue for me. Strange is that wifi does still seem to work even though it's taken down at the commandline.

So I add:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down

to my startup script. I can still ssh to the phone (so the wifi connection _is_ still up), but I think the phone is then forced to shunt outgoing data over the EVDO connection instead of trying to use the wifi interface.

So for those having problems getting this (or other tethering apps) to work, try turning off wifi on the phone...if tethering works after you do that, the above might be a simple workaround to get tethering working for you.*

(*=This is a 'reboot only' modification, because every time your phone connects to a new access point it's going to start up eth0 again.)
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I see that it does.

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward still contained a zero after restarting the PmConnectionManager, and "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" did not change anything, but after a reboot /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward does contain a 1.

Nice work.

Just got to get my PC recognizing the usbnet again.
    Correction on the email not working. It is working this morning. Last night was at home in a fairly weak signal area, and the connection may have dropped. Today in the office it is rock solid and fast - 1.28 Mb / .26 Mb. Very nice!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post
    I don't think this kind of commentary has any place in this thread or one like it, maybe you are looking for a more philosophical thread on the meaning of "everything unlimited",
    It absolutely does have a place in it if someone is coming in to complain about the fact that a hack that allows a service that is not part of your contract and is expressedly not allowed by the carrier isn't giving them "full" internet.

You can debate the legality of the "philosophy" of it all you want, the simple fact is Sprint does not allow the Pre to tether on their Simply Everything Plan. One must do work arounds to trick the system into allowing it. Which fine, I'm not here to pass moral judgements. What I am doing however is saying don't complain that you're not getting "Full" internet when you're not even technically supposed to be getting "partial" internet.

furthermore your language reflects poorly upon your understanding of basic networking and the linux operating system. which makes it even more unlikely someone would be willing to "make a program" for you that switches on and off this ability.... But, without hesitation let me help you with your question
    Um, I know you're happy to talk about my "language" but if thats the case you should perhaps check your "reading" abilities. I specifically said I know little about programming on a linux system or really programming in general.

look, zyphlin, my point is, you can't come here accusing people of "stealing internet" in one sentence then ask for people to write a program for you because you can't figure out how make it work for yourself
    Funny, I don't seem to recall a place where I stated "Hey, make a program for me". Again, I may have issues with language, you may have it with reading. I asked, in the future, if such was a possability. I did not ask for myself, but out of curiosity. I come from a Windows Mobile background where I know for a number of devices, like the Diamond, there were hacks that allowed anyone to essentially allow the device to tether. I was curious if such was possible on the WebOS out of curiosity for what's possible with the OS. How about you get off your own high horse before criticizing someone for what you percieve as to be sitting on one.

.... Use more of your time learning how to work your pre and less of it accusing people of stealing. This is a community of people trying to help each other out and comments like this do not contribute to the community and are frankly distasteful.
    People break laws, often for reasons they feel are legitimate. People go 5 over the speed limit because they feel they can do it safely and that's in the spirit of the law. People download music or movies or other things off the internet because they think the laws violate the philisophy of ownership. I'm not here to quibble about whether or not people should be doing things that are explicitely denied by the service provider. I really could care less.

All I was doing is that saying its rather pointless, and frankly insulting, to see someone sit here complaining that this is just "limited" internet when its not even something they're SUPPOSED to have anyways so is a bonus regardless. You can quibble if you want about if its "stealing" or not but it is, without a doubt, unequivicably, something that Sprint expressedly forbids on the Pre and that Palm and Sprint have taken software measures to disallow. Now, if you want to complain and debate about philosophy or my use of the words "stealing service" to describe the above, fine by me, but you seem to be missing the larger point of my post which is if you're getting something more than the service provider and product provider were originally allowing then that's a worth while thing, not something to complain about.

From what I gather, this persons hack seems to be the easiest and simpliest of the various tethering hacks that have been posted so far. If its true that it has some hiccups that's one thing, but should be considered in light of the ease of getting it enabled.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Created a new file /etc/event.d/ipforwarding
    Contents are as follows:

Code:
    description "Start IP Forwarding for tether"
    author "Rich Bellamy but all credit goes to zeropoint46"
    version 0.1

# don't start until the WebOS finishes it's normal boot
    # that way no delay is added to the GUI startup
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

# don't try to log any output
    console none

pre-start script
    end script

# end of file
    This *should* work as a replacement for adding the iptables stuff to your dropbear. I would love to verify but my PC isn't recognizing the usbnet for some reason, and I don't have root on this one.
    After following the guide exactly, I'm getting this error:

I've rebooted several times already. What's weird is that I can FTP and SSH in just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    After following the guide exactly, I'm getting this error:

I've rebooted several times already. What's weird is that I can FTP and SSH in just fine.
    Ok, I had this exact problem. What editor did you use to edit the PmConnectionManager binary? I used nano at first and got this message, I went back and used vi on the PmConnectionManager.orig and it works perfect now. Just make sure to backup the backup b4 you edit just in case
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Ok, I had this exact problem. What editor did you use to edit the PmConnectionManager binary? I used nano at first and got this message, I went back and used vi on the PmConnectionManager.orig and it works perfect now. Just make sure to backup the backup b4 you edit just in case
    And that did it! You are the man. Yes, I did use nano. I also noticed that PmConnectionManager wasn't even started prior to making the change you suggested.
    Am I the only one who knows that they would brick their phone if they even attempted these instructions? I keep seeing these post about how surprisingly easy this hack is, but I don't even understand the simplest of steps. To me, suprisingly easy= PDAnet Anyway, I'm glad at least some of us can tether. I'll be waiting for a dream app like PREnet. Thanks to all for laying the groundwork for a future easier way of tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    Created a new file /etc/event.d/ipforwarding
    Contents are as follows:

Code:
    description "Start IP Forwarding for tether"
    author "Rich Bellamy but all credit goes to zeropoint46"
    version 0.1

# don't start until the WebOS finishes it's normal boot
    # that way no delay is added to the GUI startup
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

# don't try to log any output
    console none

pre-start script
    end script

# end of file
    This *should* work as a replacement for adding the iptables stuff to your dropbear. I would love to verify but my PC isn't recognizing the usbnet for some reason, and I don't have root on this one.
    Using your script as we speak. I just changed the command to include the full path. I am not sure if this would matter but i did it just in case. It works like that so im not gonna touch it anymore

I changed
    to
    /usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    cp PmConnectionManager.orig PmConnectionManager
    vi PmConnectionManager

nano probably can't do the binary edit like vi can.

I can now verify that the ipforwarding script works.

The current state of affairs with my pre is that if I connect it to a PC via USB cable, it will present itself as a network adapter, provide an ip address and a connection to the internet. All data functions are still working in the pre gui.
    root@castle:/usr/bin# stop PmConnectionManager
    /bin/sh: stop: not found

Huh?
    Zyphlin let it go. This is not the place.
    This is a WebOS development (technical) forum.

Please start a new thread in the general/off topic forums if you wish to discuss morality, reading comprehension, writing skills, sprint plans, sprint terms of service, etc... if you really want to keep your debate and off topic (for this thread) discussion going.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogremustcrush View Post
    root@castle:/usr/bin# stop PmConnectionManager
    /bin/sh: stop: not found

Huh?
    try this
    Code:
    /sbin/stop PmConnectionManager
    as root
    Thanks fain, looks like /sbin wasn't in my path.

Excellent:

speedtest.net/result/512157115.png
    Last edited by ogremustcrush; 07/07/2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but would it be possible to tether to the PRE via WiFi, rather than via Bluetooth (which is relatively slow and sometimes flakey) or USB (which requires a cable)?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but would it be possible to tether to the PRE via WiFi, rather than via Bluetooth (which is relatively slow and sometimes flakey) or USB (which requires a cable)?
    Check this post. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1669830

Seems some users report it is unstable too though. But there is 11+ pages there I have not read through too
  20.    #40  
    Good find on the fact you can't use nano to edit the file. Also rmbwebs thanks for the scipt, was gonna get around to making something like that but I haven't had time.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast