1.    #1  
    I contacted a site about developing a WebOS application that would be powered by their site.

I received the following in response:

Here's what I need from you:
    Let me know the useragent that you see when browsing from the web browser on the phone/device and the useragent that you see when the request comes from your application. Hopefully they are different.
    Can anyone tell me how to determine the "useragent" when browsing from the Pre browser?
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0
  3.    #3  
    Thanks sambao21, I guess now my question is - anyone know if there's a way to modify the webview widget's useragent?

In other words, when my app calls the webview widget, I'd like it to pass a customized useragent such that the responding service can change how it returns html based on detecting the customized useragent.
    Isn't this user agent already customized since it's specifically the one for the pre ? Or am i just getting things wrong ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jessyjones View Post
    Isn't this user agent already customized since it's specifically the one for the pre ? Or am i just getting things wrong ?
    I think, for example, he wants it to emulate IE. This might be to get a full site rather than a mobile site, or a site that is formatted for a specific browser.

Possibly to get access to forums that require a subscription (by spoofing a search spider's string)

Who knows, but I can see the reasons for it.

And to answer the OP's question, I do not know of a way to do that.
  6.    #6  
    I want to differentiate the useragent for the webview widget when called from within the app to differentiate it from when the page is called from the full browser itself.

That way, if the page is accessed from the full browser, it displays their normal mobile page, but when accessed from my app, it displays a page minus some of the header and footer info that you get with the full mobile site.

From his question, that's the way I think he wants to tackle it. If my custom useragent is detected, he'll just simply change the css used to display the page, one that doesn't include the header and footer.