1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Because there appear to be threads about this, but any answer they might hold are hidden among pages and pages of discussion, I am very much hoping this thread will yield an answer to this question, and very little else:

There are clear instructions available for sideloading ipk files, through dev mode and the SDK, onto a PC. Can someone supply tried and true steps for doing this on a Mac, with a non-rooted Pre?
    (I swear I followed the PC steps as they would appear to work on a Mac but the apps haven't shown on the Pre).

Thanks for answers.
    Open Terminal and type palm-install <ipk path.ipk>.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Can someone please give complete instructions for the mac, including links to the required software?
    The link you need is to the Mac SDK, and there is a whole thread dedicated to that already. Search is your friend here.

Once you have it installed, Eguy's instructions are all you nead.
    Those threads are confusing to non-developers, thanks, as they contain extraneous information and instructions (I think, or perhaps not...this is part of the confusion)
  6. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Open Terminal and type palm-install <ipk path.ipk>.
    This indeed isn't enough. I have downloaded and installed the Mac SDK, and when I open terminal and type in what you have said, I get:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

I put the palm-install file and the ipk file in the same directory, I have made sure that I am in the right directory when typing in the command, and I have made sure the Pre is in developer mode. Whatever the circumstances, typing the command yields the same result.

A search for mac SDK does find the SDK file but nothing that makes this simple simple instruction any clearer. Do you just open terminal or open a file in terminal? Absolute beginner step-by-step instructions, from the beginning, would be helpful for someone like bluenote or anyone (like me) who doesn't really know any insides and wants to make sure they're following the steps correctly. I am not looking for programming info or anything like that, so I think it is forgivable to ask for really simple instructions. Actual program developing takes learning but that is not what we are looking for. Simple sideloading instructions, for, dare I say it, dummies (assuming NO prior knowledge or reading), as are provided currently on the Precentral home page for Windows, should be available for Mac. Please!
  7. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    By the way, I went to the new sticky in the homebrew forum (http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-1-0-4-a.html) and followed the steps pretty much to the letter, which are for PC. The steps are pretty much the same as they were before but written in a little more friendly fashion. However, in a mac it looks like you can't drag a file onto another file (I thought it had worked the other day but I had actually just copied the idk into the bin folder). And opening the palm-install file runs a process and then doesn't allow you to type anything.
    Okay, I just did this so I know it works. I put my ipk files on the desktop so when you see **** that's my username

/opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/****/desktop/filename.ipk

So /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install is the path to the installer

-d usb because you want to install it to the usb device (vs TCP for the emulator)

/users/*****/desktop/filename.ipk Because that was where I put my files.
  9. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m_burnz View Post
    Okay, I just did this so I know it works. I put my ipk files on the desktop so when you see **** that's my username

/opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/****/desktop/filename.ipk

So /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install is the path to the installer

-d usb because you want to install it to the usb device (vs TCP for the emulator)

/users/*****/desktop/filename.ipk Because that was where I put my files.
    And for people to whom this looks like gibberish, do we type this into terminal? Opened from scratch? Pre in dev mode? Any emulator open or anything? Looking forward to trying this and thanks much for help but for anyone trying to help us just-want-to-install" crowd pleeeease be as stupidly explicit as possible!
  10. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I do apologize if I'm coming off hostile; those instructions, as simple as they appear -- especially to those posting them -- still have yet to work for me.

Here is my entire terminal session, deconstructed and explained. I replaced (rather obviously) my computer name and Mac user name (the name you log onto your computer under, that appears in the finder next to the house icon). I honestly don't remember where or when I assigned the "computername" but if my name was Phil and I named my computer and user as such, each line would be something like "phils-macbook:~Phil$"

I don't really know what or why all of that above is, I'm just trying to clarify exactly what is here, without giving away my own info, to make it clear for total beginners. (keeping in mind that I haven't gotten it to work yet)

I put the ipk in a "palm" folder in the root user directory (Home>palm>paint.ipk, or, if you'd like, Phil>palm>paint.ipk) to make it easier to find. I also copied (not moved) the palm-install file in that folder to avoid typing and remembering in the whole opt/Palm etc thing.

First, I tried using the command in m_burnz's above post, but replaced all the filepaths with my simplified locations. I decided to ignore the fact that I appeared to already be in the /users/Username directory:
    Last login: Fri Mar 13 13:04:16 on console
    computername:~ Username$ /users/Username/palm/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk
    palm-install: no device found

Then I tried m_burnz's command with the full palm-install path, keeping the same path for the ipk.
    computername:~ Username$ /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk

Then I tried eliminating the users/Username part from the palm-install part of the command, trying to use the file that was in my Phil/palm/ folder. I realize now that I didn't change anything in the ipk path but the problem appears to have been with the palm-install command anyway.
    computername:~ Username$ palm/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk

Then I tried my best to get myself out of the Phil ("Username") directory by going up in the file hierarchy, to no avail.
    computername:~ Username$ cd ..
    computername:Users Username$ cd ..
    computername:/ Username$ cd ..
    computername:/ Username$ palm/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk
    -bash: palm/palm-install: No such file or directory
    computername:/ Username$ /users/Username/palm/palm-install -d usb/tcp /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk
    computername:/ Username$

So, the app is of course still not on my pre. It occurs to me now that I need to ask this question:
    Does "palm-install: no device found" mean it couldn't find the palm-install program, or that palm-install couldn't find my Pre? The pre was in dev mode and restarted, then plugged in, as described in these steps I had prepared in case it all worked:
    1. Put pre in devmode and restart as prompted
    2. When Pre has restarted, plug into computer via USB and select "Just Charge"
    3. Open terminal (from scratch).

I also tried it with virtualbox and the pre emulator open from the beginning, with the same result.

I hope that, as much as I've typed, this makes sense to those more knowledgable and we can all get this figgered out! Thanks
    Last edited by tuz; 07/07/2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    here is how i do it (assuming you have installed the mac sdk and virtualbox):
    1)Put phone in developer mode via konami code
    2)cd to where the file is on ur mac
    3)type palm-install -d nameofapp.ipk changing "nameofapp.ipk" to whatever the app file is

now u should see the app in the launcher!

hope this helps!
    this only works on intel mac, thise of us still on g4/g5 macs can't use the sdk. I hope they come out with a new way to sideload apps soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    here is how i do it (assuming you have installed the mac sdk and virtualbox):
    1)Put phone in developer mode via konami code
    2)cd to where the file is on ur mac
    3)type palm-install -d nameofapp.ipk changing "nameofapp.ipk" to whatever the app file is

now u should see the app in the launcher!

hope this helps!
    No go for me.

bryan-harigs-macbook-pro:~ bryanharig$ cd desktop
    bryan-harigs-macbook-pro:desktop bryanharig$ palm-install -d "net.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk"
    -bash: palm-install: command not found
    bryan-harigs-macbook-pro:desktop bryanharig$
    This is on the latest Snow Leopard version (10a394)

The Palm Emulator app also wont launch, it just bounces in the dock and then quits.
    @tuz, copy and paste this exactly into your terminal. You were typing USB/TCP which that device doesnt exist (you typed both USB and the emulator)

palm-install -d USB /users/Username/palm/paint.ipk

@bryanharin, first of all, how did u get snow leopard unless ur a developer. and if you're a developer this should be pretty simple for you. so i advise u stop stealing stuff thats not finished. first of all check your console (in the utilities folder) to see if your getting an error when u try and open the emulator that its looking for a 32bit swt when its only finding a 64bit. if so then you need to open Java Preferences (in the same folder) and make sure that under java applications the top preference is a 32 bit one. And once again since you stole snow leopard I cannot officially support this because I have no idea if it works 100% similar to leopard. and also it may not work because I am not sure if they built 32bit support into snow leopard so you may just be screwed out of using it. assuming that works make sure you installed the SDK correctly and then use the same command i posted for tuz. you typed yours wrong too as if you had installed everything correctly then it would be looking for the device with that file name, you needed to type "-d USB"
    theft
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈtheft\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English thiefthe, from Old English thīefth; akin to Old English thēof thief
    Date:
    before 12th century
    1 a: the act of stealing ; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it b: an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
    2obsolete : something stolen
    3: a stolen base in baseball
    Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is covered by copyright law, in a manner that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.
    Get it right please, it isnt theft unless you think that I have the only copy of SL on earth and my 'taking' it deprived Apple of it.

I have already put in my 'up to date' order for SL, so dont worry. Apple will get my $9.95.

Thanks for the other advice.
  16. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Oh my goodness it worked! At first I tried what as4life put in and got the same no device found. Then I restarted the Pre and it worked!

SO: I have written these steps for any beginner, constructing what I've done in the past and combining it into one sequence. I DO NOT KNOW if this is exactly how to do it from scratch so once a few people tell me it worked, I will post a new thread and more fleshed out instructions. I know I am leaving out some specifics like what the konami code is, and where to find the SDK and stuff but once I know this works I will get much more detailed.

PRELIMINARY SETUP/INSTALL
    1. Download Palm WebOS SDK for mac
    2. Install the SDK
    3. Download VirtualBox
    4. Install VirtualBox
    5. Run VirtualBox, then Pre Emulator (I don't know if these are essential but I did them at some point in the past)

APP INSTALLATION

0. Download the ipk from the internet. Put it on your computer in a simple, easy to find directory. I WILL USE THE EXAMPLE OF "Home/palm/app.ipk". ALSO make a copy of the palm-install program in this same folder (I don't think this is essential but this is how it works for me)
    1. Put Pre in Dev mode with Konami code. Restart as prompted.
    2. Hook the Pre to your computer.
    3. RESTART THE PRE AGAIN (in device info, or Orange+Sym+R)
    4. Open "Terminal" on your mac
    5. Using the example of app.ipk, where the program is at the location "Home/palm/app.ipk", type into terminal the following commands, hitting enter after each line:
    cd palm
    palm-install app.ipk

Some stuff should scroll by in Terminal as it installs the program.

THE END (sort of)

I am going to install a few more apps now that I've figured it out, but when I'm done I plan to follow these steps:

6. Unplug the Pre
    7. Type the Konami code and then turn Dev Mode OFF, restarting when prompted.

THE END (really!)

So all that remains is to make sure this works again, and for others, and also to see if I ever need to restart the Pre an additional time after putting it into Dev mode again.

Other noobs, let me know if this works for you!!!
    Tuz -

Glad you got it to work. Sorry I didn't put it a little clearer but I'm at work and I needed to punch it in fairly quickly. Just to help keep the steps to a minimum, you shouldn't need to restart your pre after you switch to DEV mode and hook it up. Just choose charge only and it should work just fine.

I just created a sticky with the command in it (without the filename) then just copy paste it into terminal and add the file name, works slick.
    Thanks for the instructions. I read on one of the threads that virtual box is not needed, can you verify its use?
  19. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m_burnz View Post
    Tuz -

Glad you got it to work. Sorry I didn't put it a little clearer but I'm at work and I needed to punch it in fairly quickly. Just to help keep the steps to a minimum, you shouldn't need to restart your pre after you switch to DEV mode and hook it up. Just choose charge only and it should work just fine.

I just created a sticky with the command in it (without the filename) then just copy paste it into terminal and add the file name, works slick.
    In the PC steps it talks about how once you restart it from devmode after everything has been installed on your computer once, you never have to again. I had done that a few times in past tries so I figured I didn't need it, but it was only after I restarted the pre that the steps worked. So hopefully it won't be required again, but it seemed to be the essential step. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    tuz,

I'm glad u were able to get it working. Now let's hope we get more homebrew apps