1.    #1  
    Sorry to get on a soapbox about this, but I've seen it a few times. Please, if you're making an ipk, make it install to /var/usr/palm/applications/ and not /usr/palm/applications.

If it is in the latter directory, it isn't deletable. Only built-in applications should be going into /usr/palm/applications.

Maybe not so much of an issue that you can't delete it for those of us with rooted Pres, but especially for the 'no rooting required' apps, you need to be careful about this.

Though, it appears that sometimes the directory it installs to depends on what method you use to install, as well, just seems like it should be pointed out anyway.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/04/2009 at 10:53 PM.
    +1

Please devs, for the convience of the less skilled
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    i believe someone should add this into the wiki page showing you how to create an application. Just for more convenience to the end user of the application
    The applications your talking about are those that can't be deleted via the orange and touch?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    The applications your talking about are those that can't be deleted via the orange and touch?
    Exactly, if it gets installed to the wrong directory, you can't delete it without rooting.
    As I have not yet braved Rooting, if the app I released is deletable, does that mean that it has installed into the proper directory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    As I have not yet braved Rooting, if the app I released is deletable, does that mean that it has installed into the proper directory?
    yes that's correct
    Good, thank you.
    I haven't been using ipk's, I've just been using cp to copy files to the directory. I only moved one to the /usr/palm/applications folder. (My Palm is Rooted.) I didn't realize I should be using the /var/ directory. This is good to know since I am going to attempt to write some apps myself. I haven't played with linux in forever. This is fun. I am in AWE how easy the palm is to hack. This could easily be imaged for corporations with all kinds of custom vertical apps (medical comes to mind). The possibilities are endless.