webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Palm Pre working on Verizon!
Palm Pre working on Verizon!

Old 07/04/2009, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Well I got my palm pre working on verizon. Proof is here:YouTube - Palm Pre On Verizon

Only problem is that I can't get data to work. Apparently webOS is checking to see if the device is provisioned or not before allowing a data session to take place.
So my next step would be to somehow bypass this provisioning check.

I know the centro did something similar with the IOTA.prc file. What I need to do is find something similar on the pre and patch the file myself so that the device thinks that it is activated.

Any help is apprecated.
cleanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

congrats. I would rather have sprint though.
cashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanser View Post
Well I got my palm pre working on verizon. Proof is here:YouTube - Palm Pre On Verizon

Only problem is that I can't get data to work. Apparently webOS is checking to see if the device is provisioned or not before allowing a data session to take place.
So my next step would be to somehow bypass this provisioning check.

I know the centro did something similar with the IOTA.prc file. What I need to do is find something similar on the pre and patch the file myself so that the device thinks that it is activated.

Any help is apprecated.
You must have told (through the ROM) Verizon it was a 700wx or some other Palm they carry. They wouldn't have have accepted it otherwise, as far as I know.

palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah the hardest part so far was getting someone to add the MEID which is near impossible. I didn't change the MEID (ESN) on the device.
Old 07/04/2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

i though verizon said a long time ago that they were opening up their network to any cdma device as long as it was unlocked. You have done the "unlocking" on your side, so their end should not have a problem adding your ESN to your account. --i'll let the more experience people chime in
edgarwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, how did you pull that off? Is the coverage and battery any better or same problems? Just curious if the batters flutter back and fourth or not....

Keep us updated if you can get the data going!!
imex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
i though verizon said a long time ago that they were opening up their network to any cdma device as long as it was unlocked. You have done the "unlocking" on your side, so their end should not have a problem adding your ESN to your account. --i'll let the more experience people chime in
From what I know, CDMA can't really be unlocked like a GSM phone, but they can have their ROM flashed to another carrier. There are some places on the net that do it. The next problem is getting a CDMA carrier to accept it as cleanser mentioned.

The only CDMA carriers that I have read, that will accept a flashed CDMA phone is MetroPCS and Cricket. I don't even know how accurate that is to be honest.

Last edited by palandri; 07/10/2009 at 07:42 AM.
palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palandri View Post
You must have told (through the ROM) Verizon it was a 700wx or some other Palm they carry. They wouldn't have have accepted it otherwise, as far as I know.
True. Yeah, so much for Verizon announcing last year its going "open" & letting you use any CDMA phone on their network. What a bunch of horse poo.
peestandingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 03:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah it was difficult convincing someone of my device, I must have called over 20 times.

So, on to my qsn.... Has anyone figured out how the pre says that it is provisioned?

Also another question, if change files in the rootfs of my flash, do i have to update the MD5 sums?
Old 07/10/2009, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have to believe that there is some communication between the Pre and a server on Plam's side (could be a process running on a Sprint server or a dedicated server at Sprint or Palm's datacenter(s)) that looks up the phone and decides if it is activated.

You MIGHT find some interesting things putting a packet sniffer on your WiFi network's uplink to the internet and see what you get out of that with the CDMA radio turned off. I don't know what the Pre does on WiFi vs. CDMA but it would be worth a try IMO.
deparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

You might want to check out a couple of posts on this forum (if you haven't already): Smart Phones & PDA/PALM Organizers - Mobile Files dot com, there are a few of them dedicated to the Pre.

They seem to be doing a lot of stuff I've never heard of and I also saw a post about getting it on Alltel as well. Hope that helps, I would love to get my Pre on my Verizon account as well.
KrazyRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like a cricket Flash... I got a Blackberry Storm/Curve working on Cricket but i can only talk and text so it is about as useful as a free phone.
jsblair17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
You might want to check out a couple of posts on this forum (if you haven't already): Smart Phones & PDA/PALM Organizers - Mobile Files dot com, there are a few of them dedicated to the Pre.

They seem to be doing a lot of stuff I've never heard of and I also saw a post about getting it on Alltel as well. Hope that helps, I would love to get my Pre on my Verizon account as well.
Yeah if you notice mobile-files is where I have done most of my work =) I just figured id come here and pick some brains too
Old 07/10/2009, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

I reprogram Sprint phones for Verizon all the time and I rarely run into any problems with getting the phone registered in their database, not sure why they'd treat the Pre any different. The reason you probably don't have data is because you need to do the *228 or 778 process to get the phone registered with the data network.....this probably won't work since the phone is password protected by Sprint and Verizon is attempting to reprogram the phone using all 0's. So if you get unlock the code and reset it to 0's it may work, but even then you would probably still have to go in an manually reprogram the phone.
rrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Would the same technique work WITHIN Sprint itself? If I am on the SERO plan, and I would like to get the Pre working on that plan, which Sprint does not allow?

For example, would it be possible to tell Sprint that it is a Treo 700 or the like?

Last edited by zalee; 07/10/2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: To elaborate:
zalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalee View Post
Would the same technique work WITHIN Sprint itself? If I am on the SERO plan, and I would like to get the Pre working on that plan, which Sprint does not allow?

For example, would it be possible to tell Sprint that it is a Treo 700 or the like?
What you would like to accomplish is an ESN clone for the Pre. Program the MIED from a different Sprint phone onto your Pre. When you go online,callin,etc to activate your Pre and give them the ESN/MIED then the computer system would think you are using a different phone instead of the Pre. Therefore it would allow you to activate the Pre onto any plan.

Of course it depends on what you do with that ESN clone. But generally it is illegal (Federal Law) to clone ESN.
DSLisFREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

There is a way to manually program the Pre. A technician almost had me do it before the damn thing finally activated itself about 2 days after I got the phone.
tweak41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cleanser,

I am somewhat new to this whole process.

What all is needed to perform this? Just the thought of having the Pre on Verizon even without data is much better than any cell phone option that Verizon currently offers.

What would I need to get this done? Maybe I could help you out on the data thing too.
Macaquinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 06:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am in the Land of Confusion with this thread. So, will this work for me, who is supposedly in a good Sprint area but keeps getting dropped called? I understand the Verizon coverage is good here, so would I be leveraging both networks, or would l need to manually switch between the 2?

Thanks
tbone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 07:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

I would love to get the Pre on Verizon. I had the Pre for a week before I logged in online and realized that they were charging me 20 cent per minute for forwarded calls (I use youmail for my voicemail). Based on that one week, that would mean about $50 bucks extra minimum in charges per month, making it not worth it in the long run. I tried to see if Sprint would use my minutes rather than charge me and they said no, so I went back to my 755P on Verizon. Now waiting until January for the sure-to-be-crippled Pre.

If you could figure out a way to get the phone fully working on VZW, I would be ecstatic.

I would offer my assistance, but I doubt I can contribute much to the subject.
poldim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert pre to dumbphone

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0