Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I know nothing about programming but I do know there is a citrix client for linux available. Would anyone be interested in looking into how to get the linux citrix client running on a pre? That is one thing I am really missing from windows mobile. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone could attempt to get this working.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Yes, there is a Citrix linux client for ARM processors. However, implementing it would probably require a patch to the pre browser in addition to direct access to the linux kernel.

There is also a Java "client", but it is for server use only.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    From what I've read, the problem with porting this type of application is that it conflicts with the Pre's built-in GUI at a low level. If you want to run a native binary application, you have to stop the phone's user interface completely before another native app can take control of the video display. There's got to be at least a half dozen different pages in the developer's wiki about attempts to run various terminal emulators on the Pre so that one could access the underlying Linux OS as if sitting at the system console, and they all basically came to the same conclusion.

Palm created WebOS for the Pre, and the "Web" part of the name is because the entire GUI is built on top of a web browser rendering engine. The only way to communicate via the screen is through this rendering engine. Work is supposedly underway to make a browser plugin that will allow binary apps to interact through the browser interface, and I've heard that this is how the Classic Palm app emulator functions on top of WebOS. Until that happens, I wouldn't expect to see any Linux apps that require user interaction through the display to be showing up. When they do, the first one will likely be a command prompt terminal window.

Until then, you have the option to run any old Palm programs under the Classic emulator, assuming that the Citrix one exists and works that way.....
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input guys, hopefully Citrix will give us a webos app soon.
    There may be a web client that might work on the WebOS.. I'll probably have to try it now..
    I'm also interested in a Citrix ICA Client app. This worked nicely on winmo :\ Citrix dropped the ball on getting something out for PalmOS, but feel free to post if I missed something.
    We use Citirix here at work and I can access the web version thru the pre and get logged in but it seems to require a few refreshes before the icons in the farm show up. Unfortunately it doesn't let me launch the app. I'm betting we'll see something from them, we have a bunch of folks here using iphones with citrix curently since they have an app for it already.
    anyone know if there is a citrix ica client in the works for the palm pre ?
    Citrix, RDP and/or VNC would totally put webOS on the map for corporate IT departments. With the advancements webOS Internals has made with installing and launching native Linux binaries like Doom and Quake, I have to think we're not far from having this whole platform busted wide open. It is a very exciting time!
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Citrix Receiver is now available for the iPhone and the Droid. C'mon, what's the hold up? Is anyone working on porting this app to the Pre?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MahouKame View Post
    Citrix Receiver is now available for the iPhone and the Droid. C'mon, what's the hold up? Is anyone working on porting this app to the Pre?
    Is there opensource code for any citrix client on Linux to port? Send me a link to source and ill try.

Lack of the PDK being public is the main reason you dont see VNC/RDP/CITRIX. I have asked to be a part of the program and have yet to hear from anyone at palm regarding it. Lack of details on commercial viability is stalling my progress from making any such thing available.
    There is rdesktop and its old SDL port:
    rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol client
    Rdesktop-SDL
    Now that HP owns Palm and HP does have lots of enterprise clients...do you think Citrix will make a receiver app for webOS? I think that would be a great enterprise solution for webOS users.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I hope so. Citrix has support for android, blackberry and iOS, hope they come out with WebOS.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axthereo View Post
    I hope so. Citrix has support for android, blackberry and iOS, hope they come out with WebOS.
    An update - Citrix will have a WebOS receiver:
    Citrix Receiver will make webOS devices enterprise ready at launch ocb - Citrix Community

Citrix will immediately enable webOS consumers with access to Windows apps
    Today, Hewlett-Packard announced the first webOS powered tablet devices that are expected to launch later this spring. Citrix Receiver once again is planning to be there on Day 1 with a version of Citrix Receiver to support HP's webOS powered tablet devices, just as we have been with all important mobile device (iPad, Galaxy Tab, Google Chrome laptops, etc.) and new distribution channels (Mac Store), over the past 18 months. Citrix Receiver is a lightweight software client that will turn any webOS device into a powerful business tool by providing secure Enterprise access business desktops and any Windows, Web or SaaS application. The immediate benefit for webOS consumers is that Citrix will make webOS devices enterprise-ready by securely delivering access to the existing ecosystem of Windows based apps: Citrix Receiver will instantly enable new webOS devices for the enterprise!

Is there an update on this. Is the Cirtix receiver for webOS available or on the way?