Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I remember seeing an app made for, I believe, Android? Where it enabled users to establish a connection between the phone and their pc's.. it would then let you look up torrents, then you could simply click on the torrent, it would send it to your PC, and start downloading. You could see the status, speed, etc all from your phone.

To me, this sounds like a great app to be made for the pre. It doesn't seem like a hard app to make on webos.. but i could be wrong..

Anyone interested in making this? I wish I knew how, I might have to start learning
    All you need for that is uTorrent and the WebUI.

Edit: Well, and a file browser to save the torrent and then upload it to the WebUI, I guess.
    wow this is bull, I made a post in this forum like a month or two ago that asked the same question and I got in trouble for it by the site police, but when someone else makes a post like this everything is fine. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by boscoton87 View Post
    wow this is bull, I made a post in this forum like a month or two ago that asked the same question and I got in trouble for it by the site police, but when someone else makes a post like this everything is fine. :-(
    Why would you ever get in trouble for that? What's wrong with torrents?
    they said that it can be inferred that torrents have to do with illegal activity, and I even brought up the point that many legit sites use torrents but it didn't make a difference.
    Did you mention what you planned to do with the torrents? The only reason I can think of for this is to get new Linux distro ISOs
    they said that it can be inferred that torrents have to do with illegal activity, and I even brought up the point that many legit sites use torrents but it didn't make a difference.
    That's dumb, a lot of IRC channels are used to discuss illegal things!! We should not allow discussion of an IRC client on the forum!!!
    yeah seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Did you mention what you planned to do with the torrents? The only reason I can think of for this is to get new Linux distro ISOs
    You're forgetting all of the public domain classical music we all download via torrents!
    I posted that it would be cool if you could make an app that acts as a torrent tracker and saves the files in a way that's similar to the amazon MP3 store, though it might not be possible to do, I don't know much about programming.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Him posting about controlling his computer at home, and you posting about wanting to actually do it on the phone sounds like two different concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    You're forgetting all of the public domain classical music we all download via torrents!
    Or recordings from taper friendly bands
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, the Optware package feed already has a torrent client, though I have not rooted my phone and don't know if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Or the Palm SDK...hey wait a second... .

Seriously though, why don't use just use a computer for a torrent download (legal or illegal it's your call). It will just burn through your Pre's battery...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Cars can be used to kill people so we should not discuss them!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Or the Palm SDK...hey wait a second... .

Seriously though, why don't use just use a computer for a torrent download (legal or illegal it's your call). It will just burn through your Pre's battery...
    Actually the way I read it he is talking about using his computer. He wants to be able to direct his computer to do it via his phone. Basically like having Orb and telling it to record a TV show for you via a web interface, except he wants to do that with torrents.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    Cars can be used to kill people so we should not discuss them!
    WHAT??
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    Actually the way I read it he is talking about using his computer. He wants to be able to direct his computer to do it via his phone. Basically like having Orb and telling it to record a TV show for you via a web interface, except he wants to do that with torrents.
    exactly.. theres so many times that i'm out and I realized I want to download something legal so by the time I get home, its done.. Unfortunately I'm barely home and when I do get home, I enjoy to relax... and often I forget to download a couple things.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I posted that it would be cool if you could make an app that acts as a torrent tracker and saves the files in a way that's similar to the amazon MP3 store, though it might not be possible to do, I don't know much about programming.
    Possible? Yes. A good idea? No. Remember you only get 5Gb of monthly transfer on your "unlimited" data account. Why spend precious data seeding torrents? Also torrents are terribly inefficient, they'll make sure your data connection is always going, but probably never downloading a full speed. It will just kill your battery before you could probably even download one album.

The uTorrent + WebUI is a good idea, though. If you want to actually download stuff to your phone, then either uTorrent/WebUI or Usenet would be the way to go. A usenet app would be killer.
    what about an app that integrates telling your computer to download legal torrents and another app that's similar to orb so that you could tell your computer to download it and then feed it to your phone via an orb-like system.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast