Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post

@MC Fresh Breath, That is a high priority for me. At the moment, I am still getting some gap in the playback. Frankly, the media API is just slow. I am working on some audio preload functionality for the crossfade. Hopefully, this will allow me to avoid the gaps between songs.

Wow, what a challenge for you. I'm impressed with your efforts, and will continue to check in on this thread.

It is surprising to me that Palm/whoever didn't do more basic research on what an mp3 player should have. I guess in the long run this could be a boon for you, but to make the media API that bad is just terrible decision making on Palm's part.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    God I hope Palm makes some really significant optimizations of their code soon. The lag is a bit unacceptable.
  3.    #123  
    Tell me about it. Last night I was running into a funky bug when working on the bookmark load feature. When you save a bookmark, it remembers the full playlist, the song that was playing and the current song time. When you load the app, you have the option to continue playing where you last bookmarked.

I was getting a bizarre bug when trying to set the current time on the loaded song and it turns out that it was due to the lag in the media API loading and playing a song. I figured out a workaround, but the media API could certainly use some optimization.

In any case, the bookmark feature should be really nice, especially for those listening to long podcasts or audio books. That must be a major hassle with the stock music player. I still can't believe they didn't even include a slider/scrubber. Oh well, mine has one
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    What lag?
    Is this just in the media player or are there apps that take a long time to load?
    Or is this due to having multiple cards open?

I do hope the PRE is not a slow dog.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
  5.    #125  
    The lag isn't a hardware problem. It simply takes the media API a second or so to load and play a song from the time it is called in code. I am working on a preload method that should help alleviate or eliminate the lag. It will also allow me to implement a user configurable crossfade feature.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    The lag isn't a hardware problem. It simply takes the media API a second or so to load and play a song from the time it is called in code. I am working on a preload method that should help alleviate or eliminate the lag. It will also allow me to implement a user configurable crossfade feature.
    Sweet!!! Is there gonna b a way to make ur app the default music app?
    Everyone has made a lot of good suggestions. I may be tired but I did not notice anyone mention hardware keyboard control.

I miss being able to skip forward, back, pause and play with certain keys like my Treo could. Just to clarify what I mean, being able to assign the space bar for pause, b for back, n forward, f full screen for videos. I like Palm because I have hardware keys which can be more responsive and unlikely for me to miss tap.
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    I believe someone mentioned wanting to use your player with Orb. I would like to use it for streaming generally in the future. Thanks!! BLiip
  9.    #129  
    @steb0ne,
    I am not sure if you can delete the stock music app, but you can add my app to the launcher and even the quick launch. It will be just as easy to run as the stock app.

@eryntzun,
    I hadn't thought of that, but it would be pretty easy to add keyboard controls. I will look into adding some when some of the other primary features are out of the way. Do you have any suggestions as to the mappings that would make the most sense?

@bliip1234,
    Orb support is currently not a priority. I will incorporate some streaming features, but I am not focusing so much on that at the moment. At the latest, they will be addressed in an update to the initial release.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I'd also appreciate the keyboard controls. If possible I think it would be great to have a menu where the user can configure (map) the function of the hardware keys, but my default suggestion would be:

space bar = play/pause
    @ = previous track
    . = next track
    b = skip forward 30 seconds (or hold to move forward at increasing pace)
    v = skip backward 15 seconds (or hold to move backward at increasing pace)
    sym = open a "browse library, select music" menu
    shift = toggle album art/playlist view
  11.    #131  
    To start, it would probably have the key mappings set. I could look into adding a user mapping option down the road.

For now, I am very happy because I got the bookmarking functionality worked out! It works flawlessly. The user can just hit a bookmark button on the Now Playing scene and the app saves the full songlist(even if it is custom one), the current song and the exact current time. It all gets saved in the internal database.

When a user opens the app again, they just click a button and everything gets reloaded exactly as it was bookmarked and the song starts playing exactly where it left off.

I still need to add the ability to save multiple bookmarks, but the important part is done. This should be a great feature for users, especially those playing long podcasts and audio books.

I will put out another preview video with LOTS of new features once the designer gets me some graphics. Damn pixel pusher is holding up the works.

Now, I am taking my **** to bed.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    For now, I am very happy because I got the bookmarking functionality worked out! It works flawlessly. The user can just hit a bookmark button on the Now Playing scene and the app saves the full songlist(even if it is custom one), the current song and the exact current time. It all gets saved in the internal database.

When a user opens the app again, they just click a button and everything gets reloaded exactly as it was bookmarked and the song starts playing exactly where it left off.

I still need to add the ability to save multiple bookmarks, but the important part is done. This should be a great feature for users, especially those playing long podcasts and audio books.
    Yes, perfect! CAN'T WAIT!!
    To start, it would probably have the key mappings set. I could look into adding a user mapping option down the road.

I will put out another preview video with LOTS of new features once the designer gets me some graphics. Damn pixel pusher is holding up the works.

Now, I am taking my **** to bed.

You are the man. Can't wait for this app
    any way u can make like a minimize on it. cuz i hate seeing apps jus being on the background jus sitting there, i want them to be hidden and then so later on i can jus maximize it to show up.
  15.    #135  
    Sorry fritos. I am making this app conform to the standard WebOS interface guidelines. These do not include minimizing apps. It will have notification banner controls when the app is in the background like Pandora or the stock music app have.
    oh well thats pretty neat tho. how long it take u to do it?
    u see im barely getting into this language and well i want to start creating my own apps
    Blubble one thing I dont believe has mentioned and seems extremely important/useful is a type of universal search. This would eliminate the possibility of hardware playback functionality but I believe a universal search function far outweighs it.

It would work like the Pre's Universal Search, without clicking and buttons you begin typing, "ban" for instance. This would reduce your list of songs down to anything with "ban" int it.
    ie
    Any song or album by "BANd of Horses"
    An album by Dispatch called "BANg BANg"
    A song called "BANg! BANg!" by The Knux

This is also similar to iTune's current search function which drills down music in a "universal search" type way.

Let's say I'm in a large playlist (500+) songs with many different albums and artists. I immediately want to listen to just Radiohead so I begin to type "r-a-d-i-o-h-e" and hit enter. By hitting enter it hides the universal search text box and reveals only radiohead songs on the playlist. What's important is that the playlist isnt effected, it is simply hiding all other songs. There could be a simple "Remove Filter" button somewhere. Perhaps beginning a new filter you can ammend or remove the current filter.
    ie
    I just filtered my playlist down to all songs by Radiohead and hit "enter" leaving only Radiohead songs. Any letter pressed on the keyboard now would simply bring me to the text box. The cursor would be at the end of "Radiohead" at this point and I could add "Amnesiac" to filter it down immediately to that album.

Thanks!
  18.    #138  
    @ttremblay,

That is actually one of the things I am adding to the app.

The user will be able to input some search text. For the moment, you would have to pick the search type, artist, album or song, but I will be changing it to add a universal search option.

The search results show up as a playlist that you can then edit and rearrange as you like. You could then just play the resulting list or save it as a custom playlist.
  19.    #139  
    I have some bad news that will bum some people out. It turns out that I will not be able to extract embedded lyrics from MP3 tags. The WebOS media API simply does not support this. I will be bugging Palm about this, but even if they agree to add this functionality, it surely won't be ready for the first release of my app. The app will still have a lyrics search function, but this is not what I ideally wanted.

Luckily, this is the only feature that I have not been able to implement.

My biggest slowdown right now is the freaking designer. He has not been working fast enough and it's starting to **** me off. I may be looking to replace him on the project if he doesn't get in gear.
    @blubble If you might replace your designer do you already have someone in mind?
Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast