Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb81 View Post
    Well seeing this thread was started in July of 2009, who knows when its coming out.
    IDK. But I think its coming out soon. He said after 1.4 but I'm just so excited for this.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Patience, grasshoppers...

Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Damn dude! That's a lot of shoes!
    I collect thanks
  5.    #965  
    The designer helping me with NaNplayer has been at SXSW for the last several days. He demoed NaNplayer to a lot of key mobile development industry people. The response to the app was really good.

Everyone that saw it liked it and many remarked on the app's depth of features that you just don't see on most mobile platforms. I wish I could have gone, but I'm glad we were represented. It points out how important exposure is. I am going to have to make tie to go to some conferences in the future to get the word out.

The biggest question by far was about when and if we are porting this to Android. Sadly, the overriding sentiment was that it's coming out for a dying platform. An awful lot of industry people think Palm just won't make it for a variety of reasons.

Some of these people work for some of Palm's biggest partners and all are key players at important companies. Almost universally, WebOS is regarded as a great OS, but most also said that the hardware was a massive blunder that could cost Palm it's future.

I hope they're wrong, but it sucks to hear that along with all the other bad news about Palm. I personally don't much like Android. Still, I think that I will pretty much have to port this app to that platform at some point. Either way, the WebOS version will come out first and is my only focus for the time being.
    The designer helping me with NaNplayer has been at SXSW for the last several days. He demoed NaNplayer to a lot of key mobile development industry people. The response to the app was really good.

Everyone that saw it liked it and many remarked on the app's depth of features that you just don't see on most mobile platforms. I wish I could have gone, but I'm glad we were represented. It points out how important exposure is. I am going to have to make tie to go to some conferences in the future to get the word out.

The biggest question by far was about when and if we are porting this to Android. Sadly, the overriding sentiment was that it's coming out for a dying platform. An awful lot of industry people think Palm just won't make it for a variety of reasons.

Some of these people work for some of Palm's biggest partners and all are key players at important companies. Almost universally, WebOS is regarded as a great OS, but most also said that the hardware was a massive blunder that could cost Palm it's future.

I hope they're wrong, but it sucks to hear that along with all the other bad news about Palm. I personally don't much like Android. Still, I think that I will pretty much have to port this app to that platform at some point. Either way, the WebOS version will come out first and is my only focus for the time being.
    This is terrific. Does he have any video footage of the event that he can share with us?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The sad thing though is that Android doesn't need this nowhere near as much as WebOs does. Android already has many players on its marketplace, whereas the sole media player is barebones, and the "remix" version isn't much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb81 View Post
    The sad thing though is that Android doesn't need this nowhere near as much as WebOs does. Android already has many players on its marketplace, whereas the sole media player is barebones, and the "remix" version isn't much better.
    I agree with you with android, But expanding couldn't hurt i guess. Now with music player remix, It has a lot of features that the regular app is missing. But what it suffers from is the same slowness as the default music app. And with it being built off of the same app its not going to improve speed wise that much (at least for the pixi). Thats why I am "patiently" (lol ) waiting on NaNplayer.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

...The biggest question by far was about when and if we are porting this to Android. Sadly, the overriding sentiment was that it's coming out for a dying platform. An awful lot of industry people think Palm just won't make it for a variety of reasons.

I'm just a "normal" consumer, but I would tend to agree with the analysts. I've been using Palm from the days of the original Palm III, but I find do myself questioning why is it after all these years they haven't captured market share like Blackberry, and how is it that Android has so many more apps than Palm who has been around 10 times longer? When I'm eligible to upgrade later this Summer I'll be seriously considering the Android platform, but hopefully by then Palm will have come out with something spectacular.

I do hope Palm succeeds, but they better figure out (quickly) how to be a world class player. In a way they're a lot like Sprint, they both have excellent products, they just don't well at implementation, nor do they advertise/market their product/service well.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    how is it that Android has so many more apps than Palm who has been around 10 times longer?
    Android has been out for over two years.
    webOS has been out for not even one.

You can't develop for a platform before it exists, so it's irrelevant that Palm has been around for longer than Android.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Android has been out for over two years.
    webOS has been out for not even one.

You can't develop for a platform before it exists, so it's irrelevant that Palm has been around for longer than Android.
    Ok, I'll give you that, but doesn't it stand to reason that had Palm done better in the market against RIM & WINMO over the course of all these years, that the following of developers from the PalmOS to the WebOS would of been much more significant?

Maybe if we compare PalmOS against the Blackberry my statement would be more accurate? Nonetheless, I'm not bashing Palm, I'm just saying they haven't done a good job of executing and I'm not convinced they'll be around as a major player.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    This has definitely taken a turn towards coming off the rails from the topic at hand, but I guess since the developer started it's okay

Just prior to WebOS, Palm sold a ton of centros and treos and the Treo Pro, a windows mobile phone, was easily one of the slickest pieces of hardware around. None of it really mattered in the real smartphone war though as the centro was an entry level device, and the treo pro was running windows mobile, so no need for dedicated development.

They made a call to throw out that foundation and start fresh. It's been a critical success and a business nightmare since. But I think it's way too soon to call it game over. It just doesn't make sense to compare Android today - with options on all 4 carriers and tons of hardware - to Palm today. A better comparison would be Android at launch, with just the G-1 on T-Mobile. Last year at this time, Android had only just caught up to Palm in terms of mobile ad marketshare. In fact, Google launched version 1.1 in March of 2009. The second half of 2009 into early 2010 has been crucial to Android's success.

Palm absolutely needs new hardware before the end of the year, and WebOS 2.0 with much better media capabilities to compete with Apple and Windows phone 7 which will be very entertainment focused (Zune built in). I think Android is still pretty much missing the boat on multimedia, but I'm sure it will be addressed.

Personally, I'd love to see Palm license this app, as someone else mentioned.

As far as development, Palm has made it a no-brainer for developers to port their apps to webOS with the PDK. Since porting will require little effort, developers don't have to make quite as big a decision in weighing whether it's worth a substantial time effort to develop for the new ecosystem. They only have to decide whether more sales = more money for the work they've already done.

Anyhow - just my thoughts... very much looking forward to the NaNplayer release!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Khidr View Post
    But I think it's way too soon to call it game over.
    Agreed. It's possible I have misplaced faith in Palm, but I have a lot of hope for their future. The Android platform just doesn't interest me, and the iPhone is too proprietary for me. WebOS strikes me as a happy medium-- and I guess the next year or so will be very telling.

Personally, NaNplayer has me itching for new Palm hardware-- something with more storage. I'll buy a new Palm device in a heartbeat, I love the user experience of the Pre. (I'd even by a Palm version of the iPad in a heartbeat over the iPad, because it'd likely have flash support out of the gate.)
  14.    #974  
    I also have hope for Palm's future. WebOS is still the closest thing to a laptop in your pocket when it comes to multi-tasking. Nothing beats the interface in my opinion. I was using my daughters iPod Touch the other day, and the interface just feels limited compared to WebOS.
  15.    #975  
    Back on the NaNplayer front, one of the biggest requests/suggestions we got was to expand the location based features. Everyone loved the location based playlists, but many asked for some way to show concert listings by artist and by GPS location. This wouldn't be terribly hard to implement.

Is it something that would be important to users? If I included this, it would probably come as an update after the initial release.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I hate to be devils advocate here but I gotta feeling with all this talk about all these extra features that basically no other portable mp3 player has is just needlessly pushing back the release of this app. Crap I'd pay for this thing thats how bad I want it, and how much I like it from the vids.
  17.    #977  
    I won't delay the homebrew release in order to add a concerts listing feature. The only features left to complete for the initial release would be the album art lookup and the song ratings and play counts. I am working on those now and I'm almost done with them.

Beyond that, I need to do some optimization throughout the app to make sure there are no memory leaks or other performance issues.

I don't want to set a solid release date, but if everything continues to go well with testing, I am hoping for sometime in April.

The first release will still technically be a beta, as bugs are sure to turn up once hundreds or thousands of users start using it.
    Blubble = Blizzard of WebOS Apps.

He produces amazing products. He will tell you the release date when the product is done. He will leave you wanting a sequel.

Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    thats a lil more reassuring, can i pay to have a crack at the beta? you dont' understand dude i NEED this app. I got rid of my ipod for the sake of having my phone and media player in one, and the stock app just ain't cuttin it.
    The designer helping me with NaNplayer has been at SXSW for the last several days...
    Everyone that saw it liked it and many remarked on the app's depth of features that you just don't see on most mobile platforms.

Do you think the app is different enough to make the Pre stand out? On the earnings call today, Rubenstein said the biggest problem was the store reps. It would be nice to have an app to show them that will grab attention.

Will this be in the app catalog or homebrew?