Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast
  1.    #921  
    I know that 1.4 won't support normal distribution of non-partner PDK apps. The impression I got from some people at Palm is that it won't take very long for that to happen. I guess we'll have to see. Also, there may be some ways that homebrew can take advantage of plugins. We're waiting to see exactly how everything works.

Like I said, either way I won't let that delay release. I will most likely just add the PDK based features as upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I know that 1.4 won't support normal distribution of non-partner PDK apps. The impression I got from some people at Palm is that it won't take very long for that to happen. I guess we'll have to see. Also, there may be some ways that homebrew can take advantage of plugins. We're waiting to see exactly how everything works.

Like I said, either way I won't let that delay release. I will most likely just add the PDK based features as upgrades.
    Cool!

BTW, how's the 1.4 testing going?
  3.    #923  
    It's going well. So far, there are no major incompatibilities. I am chasing down a few bugs and adding a few features. Probably the biggest thing I need to do is work on the preferences screens.
  4.    #924  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    NaNplayer official music player of the 720 and 800 MHz Pre!!
    I bet it runs great on the overclocked Pre's. I certainly plan on trying that after I release the first version.
  5.    #925  
    Here's a question for you folks. I am working on the play count feature.

At what point do you think the app should record a play? I was thinking maybe at 10 or 30 seconds into the song. That way it won't record a play if you skip a song quickly.

The whole point is to collect the play count for auto playlists based on your most played songs.

At what point do you think the app should record a play? I was thinking maybe at 10 or 30 seconds into the song. That way it won't record a play if you skip a song quickly.

The whole point is to collect the play count for auto playlists based on your most played songs.
    I never put that much thought into play count before. As long as we are thinking about what constitutes "played", I may was well get creative. I think 30 seconds seems pretty reasonable.. Of course if there's a short 'intro' track, that might be the whole thing... does 30 seconds or half the song whichever is shorter seem over complicated? But then, once you listen to part of a song, you can't 'un-listen' to it, so maybe it should be triggered by non-silence. Nah, that's just getting crazy.

I think you're on the right track.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    bubble...i love you man for this great work your doing
    Will it have a feature to avoid audiobooks and speech files in the play count and also in music library shuffle.
  9.    #929  
    Well. Analyzing the sound for actual music vs. silence is not possible with the current SDK

You do make a good point about short songs. Using the lesser of 30 seconds or half the song makes sense. Good idea.
  10.    #930  
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    Will it have a feature to avoid audiobooks and speech files in the play count and also in music library shuffle.
    It could, but it would be dependent on the audiobooks be tagged correctly. It would still count the plays for audiobooks, but could avoid them when generating the auto playlists.

I will also be adding ratings and the associated auto playlists.
    Hey Blubble,

It might actually be better to look up a percentage of the song as being played to be counted.

As in, if exactly 50% of the song is played then it counts as "played". This would avoid having a hard coded limit which would mess up short songs, or if someone really likes the intro to Fade To Black - Metallica, but doesn't want to hear the whole song (and doesn't want it counted as being "most played"). Thus, they could hear the minute or so long intro of a song and skip it and have it not count. I think if someone listens to half a song, you can pretty much consider it being "played".

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Blubble,

It might actually be better to look up a percentage of the song as being played to be counted.

As in, if exactly 50% of the song is played then it counts as "played". This would avoid having a hard coded limit which would mess up short songs, or if someone really likes the intro to Fade To Black - Metallica, but doesn't want to hear the whole song (and doesn't want it counted as being "most played"). Thus, they could hear the minute or so long intro of a song and skip it and have it not count. I think if someone listens to half a song, you can pretty much consider it being "played".

Just my opinion.
    My all-time favorite Metallica song! I would never just listen to the intro, though, even though it's a great one. However, I do think this is a good suggestion for determining a played song.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"

I know this sounds convoluted but, here's how I would want it done:

1. If I press stop, skip-to-next, or go-to-previous buttons prior to playing the entire song, then don't add it as a play. (Because all of those situations say I didn't want to listen to it) UNLESS, the skip (and skip only) occurs with 10 seconds or less left in the song, in which case there might be silence at the end.

2. If I stop the song by choosing another playlist or song directly, do not count it. (for same reasons as in #1)

3. If I play it all the way through, count it.

4. If I press pause then count it (because pause says I didn't intend to stop it completely even if I later don't go back to it for whatever reason).
    ^1-4 all sound good to me.

Dare I suggest negative play counts? The idea being that you may start skipping a song with an already high play count and skipping it could be recorded - thus reducing it's once mighty status Just a thought... and maybe not a practical one at that
    Hey Blubble, weren't you looking into last.fm support? If not, that's fine, but I thought I read you were. If you are, might it make sense to see about modeling the play count feature after last.fm's standards for when it counts a song as played, if it has any. For myself, I think I used to have a scrobbler that did 50% or 2:00, which I liked.

1. If I press stop, skip-to-next, or go-to-previous buttons prior to playing the entire song, then don't add it as a play. (Because all of those situations say I didn't want to listen to it) UNLESS, the skip (and skip only) occurs with 10 seconds or less left in the song, in which case there might be silence at the end.
    Gotta say I'm not too fond of this one. I have some songs that kind of change in the middle and I'm not too fond of the last 2:00-5:00 or so minutes they stuck on the song. I think half is fair.
  16.    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Hey Blubble, weren't you looking into last.fm support? If not, that's fine, but I thought I read you were. If you are, might it make sense to see about modeling the play count feature after last.fm's standards for when it counts a song as played, if it has any. For myself, I think I used to have a scrobbler that did 50% or 2:00, which I liked.
    I am still planning on adding scrobbling support, but it may not be in the initial release. It would be added in a future update.

Gotta say I'm not too fond of this one. I have some songs that kind of change in the middle and I'm not too fond of the last 2:00-5:00 or so minutes they stuck on the song. I think half is fair.

I am inclined to go with something simple like 50% of the song duration. If we start using convoluted rules, many people will think it's a bug.

If it becomes a big issue for people, I'll add a slider that lets users pick at what percentage of the song it will be marked as played.

There will also be a way to clear the play count for a song. Plus, the ratings system will provide another way to generate auto lists. Between that and the playlists and dynalists, there is no shortage of ways to organize your music.
    Hey Bubble - I have alot of faith in you and this app!

I'm new to the board and new to Palm - to be honest I don't even have a Pre yet, the only thing holding me back is this whole EQ thing as my phone is basically just an mp3 player I like to text from!

Just wondering, in your opinion, do you think you will ever be able to create an EQ for the Pre? I don't really know what I'm talking about but does the news of this PDK stuff make it any easier?

If I know its actually possible and can happen one day, i'll go buy one tomorrow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  18.    #938  
    Now that the PDK is out, I think it may be possible.

My intention is to write an audio plugin to replace the use of HTML audio in the app. That being the case, I will also try to add an EQ at some point.

However, this won't be in place in time for initial release. If I do it, it will be sometime in the future. I can't promise that it will happen, but an EQ has been on the top of my desired feature list since I started working on this app.
    Cool, thanks for the info Bubble. I'll put up with the dodgy audio for now and have a little faith. Thanks!
    Totally psyched about this application! I can't to try it! [giddy] Hee, hee