Page 46 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647484950515696 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    It seems to have improved a bit, but not by much.

I just asked for PDK beta access so I can see if there's anything in there that could help with my app.
    Yes, there is! It allows access to the filesystem - the ENTIRE filesystem! I believe (but could be wrong) that now you can make your app so it'll be acceptable for the app catalog. You should be able to:

1. Make/Save playlists
    2. Load playlists from file system
    3. Scan filesystem for music files

All this will be done in C/C++ code.
    If that's all true, this could be very good news for this app. I'd love to see it in the catalog.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  3.    #903  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Yes, there is! It allows access to the filesystem -

Yeah. That seems like the most important new capability I've seen. I will have to look into this with more detail.

It will also let you handle audio playback, but I am not sure there are any substantial benefits there.

In any case, this means a ton of reading for me in the next few days.
  4.    #904  
    One thing I am very stoked about is the ability to work in Visual Studio. I am glad we don't get stuck using that piece of garbage Eclipse. VS is leagues better in so many ways.
    Please let me know if this means that now you could provide a feature for playing songs from a file/folder structure?
    Any estimate on when this very cool looking app will be available to a wider group? I bet it sounds very cool too!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7.    #907  
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    Please let me know if this means that now you could provide a feature for playing songs from a file/folder structure?
    Maybe. It looks like it migh. I haven't gotten an official response from Palm, but they will get back to me on it.

If it works, I could write a plugin that scans the phone for songs. It could easily be made to search by folder.

Let me be clear that this is not something that will happen right away. I will start to experiment with the PDK. If I can make a functional proof of concept, then I will switch all my energies to creating the plug in.
  8.    #908  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Any estimate on when this very cool looking app will be available to a wider group? I bet it sounds very cool too!
    My plan is to release a version to homebrew soon. I have not set a definitive release date yet. Also, this PDK business could alter my plans somewhat, but definitely for the better.
    I don't know how I've missed this in my time at Precentral - I've just watched your youtube video for the first time and I'd just like to say congratulations on creating one of the most fully featured and useful apps I've seen on the platform. I'm very much looking forward to trying it out
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Hows the multitasking with it opened. Does everything slow down when the music player is open?
    I grabbed the Pixi and tried it out the other day, and it didn't seem sluggish at all. The music never skipped, and there was no noticeable lag. I would say there was a very slight decrease in overall zip, but would be imperceptible to some. I opened calendar, contacts, email, and web (opened them all while music was playing and left them open).
    Yeah. That seems like the most important new capability I've seen. I will have to look into this with more detail.

It will also let you handle audio playback, but I am not sure there are any substantial benefits there.

In any case, this means a ton of reading for me in the next few days.
    Yea! Support for non-embedded album art!!

I personally have not had much fun or success tagging all of my mp3's with album art.
    My plan is to release a version to homebrew soon. I have not set a definitive release date yet. Also, this PDK business could alter my plans somewhat, but definitely for the better.
    If possible, I'd prefer you release it without the PDK stuff first. I'm dying with the current music playing!
    Maybe. It looks like it migh. I haven't gotten an official response from Palm, but they will get back to me on it.

If it works, I could write a plugin that scans the phone for songs. It could easily be made to search by folder.

Let me be clear that this is not something that will happen right away. I will start to experiment with the PDK. If I can make a functional proof of concept, then I will switch all my energies to creating the plug in.
    Awesome! If you pull this off and also allow for a delete function, and let me beta test the plugin, then I'll give you wichever you prefer: $100 or my high-end earphones - Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s.
  14.    #914  
    Thanks, but there's no need for donations.
  15.    #915  
    I was playing around with the PDK last night. Good stuff! I had to bust out my rusty C++ skills, but it comes back to you.

I think the file I/O stuff should work. I might even be able to write my own audio playback code instead of relying on the laggy WebOS media server.

I wish I had more time to spend on this stuff, but the daytime programming job pays the bills.
    I've been doing a lot of traveling recently and depending on my Pre for music. This has only made me more anxious for NanPlayer to be released. The other "solutions" are borderline unusable.
    this app looks very promising.
    Blubble,

Please don't wait for the PDK to release this! The PDK will not be finalized/usable until the second half of this year!
  19.    #919  
    I don't think it will be that long before they allow devs to release apps using the PDK.

Either way, I won't wait if causes a big delay for release.
    I don't think it will be that long before they allow devs to release apps using the PDK.

Either way, I won't wait if causes a big delay for release.
    Well, first of all, PDK apps won't even work with 1.4. So you'd have to wait for the next version (1.5?) to come out and test on that if you want it to use PDK:

Distribution of apps built with the public beta PDK will require functionality provided in an upcoming Palm webOS update. The current version of webOS supports limited distribution of games built with the private early-access PDK, but the technologies and processes that enable this limited distribution do not currently allow for wider distribution.
    As for when that will happen? It's MONTHS away according to Palm:

As Palm announced at GDC, developers can download a public beta of the PDK at the Palm Developer Center and begin developing today. Distribution of apps built with the public beta will require functionality provided in an upcoming Palm webOS update, to be released the middle of this year.
    We're currently in month 3, so even if it's released in month 5, that's 2 months away. And "middle of this year" really gives them all the way until August.