Page 39 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243444989 ... LastLast
  1.    #761  
    Let's get back to happier thoughts.

As I think I've mentioned, the controls on the bottom of the Now Playing screen are inside a scroller.

it works like so...

However, it's not obvious to a first time user that you need to slide the controls to left to see more options. I've added ticks to the scroller like you see in the WebOS launcher.

Does that make it clear enough to the user that they can slide to access more controls? if not, then what? Would arrows make more sense?
    I vote arrows rather than ticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    As it stands, I have little hope of selling this app through the app catalog. Consequently, I've decided to give it out the user community for free.
    Well in that case would you be willing to work with Jason Robitaille to incorporate his File I/O functions into your music player? Having folder based playback with copy/move/rename/delete functionality would be a dream!
  4.    #764  
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    Well in that case would you be willing to work with Jason Robitaille to incorporate his File I/O functions into your music player? Having folder based playback with copy/move/rename/delete functionality would be a dream!
    That sounds interesting. Does that functionality require rooting? It certainly would be nice to allow some file management and folder based playback. I am surprised at the strong demand for folder based playback. I'd be glad to add it in if possible.

I contacted Jason about another issue. He hasn't responded yet, but when he does, I will ask him about this.

Thanks,
    JC
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That sounds interesting. Does that functionality require rooting? It certainly would be nice to allow some file management and folder based playback. I am surprised at the strong demand for folder based playback. I'd be glad to add it in if possible.

I contacted Jason about another issue. He hasn't responded yet, but when he does, I will ask him about this.

Thanks,
    JC
    JC,

Jason's file i/o routines use his FileMgr service, which according to the Preware blurb for Internalz, must be installed via WOSQI or rooting.

Regards,
    -JerryG

PS - arrowheads...
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Thanks for considering it. I think the high demand for folder based playback comes from the minority of us who do not use iTunes. As such, any generic media players including the new phenomenon of USB ports on car stereos base their playback from a folder structure. Furthermore those of us who download tons of music from sources like Limewire or BitTorrent end up sorting all of our music by folder. I would love to use your player to sort through all of my downloaded music and delete the songs I don't like.

Jason's File I/O API does not require rooting and he claims he's willing to share it. You can learn more by reading the entire first post here regarding "FileMgr Service" http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...e-manager.html
    As it stands, I have little hope of selling this app through the app catalog. Consequently, I've decided to give it out the user community for free.
    Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make some money from all your hardwork. As I said in a previous post you definitely deserve it.
    Thanks for considering it. I think the high demand for folder based playback comes from the minority of us who do not use iTunes. As such, any generic media players including the new phenomenon of USB ports on car stereos base their playback from a folder structure. Furthermore those of us who download tons of music from sources like Limewire or BitTorrent end up sorting all of our music by folder. I would love to use your player to sort through all of my downloaded music and delete the songs I don't like.

Jason's File I/O API does not require rooting and he claims he's willing to share it. You can learn more by reading the entire first post here regarding "FileMgr Service" http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...e-manager.html

Interesting you say the minority of users that don't use itunes require folder playback.

I don't use itunes to sync or anything yet NaN works with my music perfect without folder playback. I drag & drop my music, I don't know if its because of how i keep all my music properly tagged & organized that allows me to have no issues with NaN, the native webos music player or any other mp3 player I've used. I'm very organized when it comes to music and hate not having album artwork or proper tags, even singles I don't have the album for are organized into "No CD Rap, No CD Rock, etc" albums.

I think this would be great for power users or someone that just wants to throw songs into folders and not have to worry about tags.

By the way my vote goes to the webos like tabs instead of arrows, looks cleaner to me.

Everyone that wants this app & wants it working how JC envisioned should let Palm know, trust me this app is beyond excellent & by far the best music app i've used on my Pre. But we all need to let Palm know how we feel & that api's need to be released or they will take their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Interesting you say the minority of users that don't use itunes require folder playback.

I don't use itunes to sync or anything yet NaN works with my music perfect without folder playback. I drag & drop my music, I don't know if its because of how i keep all my music properly tagged & organized that allows me to have no issues with NaN, the native webos music player or any other mp3 player I've used.
    I'm just going to come out and say it... I download so much music from Limewire that I don't have time to even listen to it all let alone organize it. That's why I really need an app that allows me to listen through it all and delete half the crap I don't like. Furthermore, the songs I get from Limewire are rarely tagged properly so all these features for sorting by artist, album, etc are irrelevant to me. I just don't have the time to tag it all properly.

If Blubble can pull this off and get File I/O incorporated, I'll make a donation of up to $100 depending on how well it works!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I sit corrected...

Serves me right for reading something within Preware!
    Just push the button, dude!!!

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    File I/O stuff (deleting being the main one for me personally) and a star rating system that writes the relevant tags are the "big" (Captain Sarcasm speaking there) things missing from any media player on webos. I fully understand that such "complex" things as these aren't available via the APIs... which is pants Palm . I'm sufficiently now to vent politely to / at Palm. Is there a means to do this that may actually be read and not duly deleted by Palm?

I feel your pain Bubble. To have even basic things like file I/O hidden from you a year after initial release is rubbish... and quite patronising to devs in general. I came to webos after years on winmo. The main reason for going with winmo was for the open nature of the platform. If I wanted my phone to do something I could write my own app safe in the knowledge the APIs were there to do pretty much anything. It was one of the (few) strengths of winmo.

Anyroad, is there anywhere worthwhile for me to send my requests to Palm? NaNplayer looks like must-have app and something Palm should be bending over backwards to get in to the catalogue!
    There is currently no way to write a file using the SDK so a normal export wouldn't be possible.

I don't know if it would be worth the hassle though. Most users would probably find it burdensome.

In reality, there is no good solution other than for Palm to get their act together and give devs the APIs they need for more advanced, feature rich applications.
    Tell me about it! I've been begging for the ability to write files since 1.0!! (Among other things like full canvas support, a real API for dealing with images/scaling)
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I got to say I have been following the development of Nanplayer for sometime now and Blubble you can be a ****** sometimes.

You want to develop an app with unsupported api's, then complain that its Palms fault. Why didn't you read there dev agreement before starting your work? I'm also frustrated that its taking them so much time to get the api's out to the devs but don't you think you are being hypocritical when you slam people for asking you to hurry up and release your app and then complain about Palm doing more or less the same thing.

Also, why do you feel the need to belittle another developer for the work that they put in. Unlike you the dev for music remix has provided their work for us to use free of charge until the api is available. By the way this isn't the first time you have lashed out at the dev of music remix.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the hard work you have put in and look forward to when the app will be available in the catalog. I just don't think this crappy attitude towards potential customers is warranted.
    Clearly you're not a developer. His frustration is completely valid. His app (and EVERY music playing app) is IMPOSSIBLE without those non-official APIs. That's ridiculous. It's ridiculous that Palm, with Music being so important to people, has not made an API that makes music files accesible to 3rd party apps. As a user of a Palm device, I'M frustrated with that choice. How hard could it be? How bad could it be to let them use the SAME API that Palm's own limited music app uses?
    Let's get back to happier thoughts.

As I think I've mentioned, the controls on the bottom of the Now Playing screen are inside a scroller.
    Definitely need something to indicate it, but the ticks are actually confusing and don't look good. An arrow of some sort would be better.
    yep an arrow would be mor propriate
    Indicating that there are additional control sets to the left or right could be done several ways. I do like the ticks mainly because they match what Palm is doing in the launcher.
  17.    #777  
    Here's a quick video I shot last night. The video quality is awful, so I am going to reshoot it, but in the meantime...

i'm loving the app very fast comparing to palm's music app... I would love to be able to download it and start using it
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i shouldnt have watched the video smh
    it got me even more hyped
    The app looks really nice... I can't wait to give it a try. Great work.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz