Page 33 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
    as far as I understand it, any program written in C++ can now be easily ported over to WebOS. In addition, C plugin can be interlaced with the web-based programming. This leads me to believe that blubble will be able to make his EQ.
  2.    #642  
    @6tr6tr

All that I really need is for Palm to allow developers official access to the music indexing API. It already exists in the SDK, but is limited to official Palm apps.

Their reasoning for not allowing devs to use it is that it will eventually change. This is really a stupid reason as it would be very easy for me to update the app once they change it.
  3.    #643  
    @Complex Pants

There are some mighty big if involved. In order to do an EQ, you basically have to process chunks of audio in real time and perform some mathematical computations on the audio data. I don't know if the PDK will allow JSJSJS $and$ $the$ $plugin$ $to$ $transfer$ $that$ $kind$ $of$ $data$ $back$ $and$ $forth$ $and$ $with$ $enough$ $throughput$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $correctly$.

I would most likely have to rewrite the audio playback functionality into the C++ code and leave JSJSJS $to$ $handle$ $the$ $interface$ $and$ $other$ $parts$ $of$ $the$ $app$. $In$ $the$ $long$ $run$, $that$ $would$ $probably$ $be$ $the$ $best$ $way$ $to$ $do$ $it$ $anyways$.
    if they don't finalize the music indexing api in a timely fashion, do you see yourself utilizing Palm's unofficial distribution method to sell your app?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    @Blubble can this be skinned in app? I would mind making some for it.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    @6tr6tr

All that I really need is for Palm to allow developers official access to the music indexing API. It already exists in the SDK, but is limited to official Palm apps.

Their reasoning for not allowing devs to use it is that it will eventually change. This is really a stupid reason as it would be very easy for me to update the app once they change it.
    It was the same thing with extractfs but they've actually changed their tune on that and now they say you can release an app into the official app catalog even using extractfs. So you might use that with your Palm rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    if they don't finalize the music indexing api in a timely fashion, do you see yourself utilizing Palm's unofficial distribution method to sell your app?
    YES! They'd give you a link and you don't have to follow all their rules (I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    YES! They'd give you a link and you don't have to follow all their rules (I believe).
    Actually, no.

You are required to self-certify the app based on the same general criteria catalog apps are certified under, as mentioned in this quote from the Palm app submission site:

If you do not submit your app to the App Catalog, you should still go through this checklist to be sure you can successfully self certify your app to get the URL you need to distribute your app.
    And this is the relevant quote from Palm's web site concerning certification requirements:

Check to be sure your app abides by the Application Content Criteria. The document specifies Palm's standards for the content you include in your app. During the submission process, we ask you to certify that your app meets these criteria. If your app is found to violate these rules during the review process, it will be rejected. If it is subsequently discovered that your app violates these criteria, it will be removed from the catalog and its URL disabled. Note that applications not included in the catalog are still subject to these criteria.
    And here's the relevant quote from the "Application Content Criteria" document:

The application does not use undocumented webOS APIs or other capabilities outside the scope of the public webOS SDK.
    So I guess if you're feeling lucky, you're more than willing to try to get your app through this way; however if they find out, they'll shut you down. Personally, I won't be using this method of distributing my app that also uses the undocumented media library API. It's just not worth the risk.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  9.    #649  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    No. The apps distributed through the alternate method still have to conform to the same requirements as those distributed through the app catalog. Besides, I don't think they'll have a way to securely integrate that method with a payment system. Once the URL got out, anyone could just download the app for free.
  10.    #650  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    @Blubble can this be skinned in app? I would mind making some for it.
    Yes. The app will be skinnable. An end user will have the capability to create a custom folder that contains their own graphics and css file. There are limitations to how much you can change things, but you should be able to get pretty creative with things.
  11.    #651  
    It was the same thing with extractfs but they've actually changed their tune on that and now they say you can release an app into the official app catalog even using extractfs. So you might use that with your Palm rep.
    Believe me. I have tried to reason with them repeatedly, but they are just dead set on making devs wait for access to the API. Frankly, it's a moronic stance on their part, but there isn't much to do but wait. People complain a lot about Apple's App Store review process, but at least they don't hamstring their developers with a half baked SDK.

The really sad thing is that the app works very well and has a lot more features and better performance than any other music player for WebOS. It's not like the API doesn't exist. They just won't let devs use it.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Yes. The app will be skinnable. An end user will have the capability to create a custom folder that contains their own graphics and css file. There are limitations to how much you can change things, but you should be able to get pretty creative with things.
    Cool. Can you send me a file or something I can make for a few for ur beta group to test out
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    No. The apps distributed through the alternate method still have to conform to the same requirements as those distributed through the app catalog. Besides, I don't think they'll have a way to securely integrate that method with a payment system. Once the URL got out, anyone could just download the app for free.
    No, that's not how it works. The URL lives on Palm's server and when clicked on (from what I understand) takes your phone to a "scene" similar to in the app catalog to purchase the app.
  14.    #654  
    No, that's not how it works. The URL lives on Palm's server and when clicked on (from what I understand) takes your phone to a "scene" similar to in the app catalog to purchase the app.
    Either way, they still require the app to conform to their application standards and they specifically prohibit the use of unofficial APIs for apps using that distribution method. I would rather just wait and include it in the app catalog.
    I was never planning on doing things this way. What I don't understand is how Palm would let someone release an app that directly violates their copyrights. Are you sure they will ever let you release your mod in the App Catalog as a paid app? Wouldn't they at least require you to license their code since it comprises the majority of your mod?
    The folks at Palm (including Chuq) are aware of my app and some of them use it themselves on their phones. When I asked my Palm handler that very question ("Will I be able to release the app even though it was derived from the stock music app), he gave me a definite "yes" (once the APIs are made public). But you never know...so only time will tell. But what I would bet my money on is there will be several music apps released once the APIs are made public.

Besides, I don't think they'll have a way to securely integrate that method with a payment system. Once the URL got out, anyone could just download the app for free.
    That's not how I interpreted the distribution model when I read over the new dev site. The "URL" the users will have access to is already available (see my signature for a link to my GeoStrings app). I believe this is the URL they will use to buy the app. You just type in your phone number on that page and it sends a text message to your phone. Tap the link in the message and it brings up the app catalog and they can buy it directly from there.

If you look on the dev site, apps that did not go through the review process will have a gray background (vs. the normal blue background) when viewed in the app catalog. And these apps will not appear when browsing the catalog. Beta apps will also be accessible via this method and will have a green background with a "Beta" banner.

Anyway that's the way I interpreted it. If someone knows any different, please chime in.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  16.    #656  
    I hadn't looked into it that much, so I'm sure your interpretation is right. That does sound like a good system, but in my case, I wouldn't see a benefit over including it in the app catalog, especially since you can get a the same type of link for the app.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Laugh all you want, but the desire for an EQ was one of the main things that inspired me to start developing this app. I was none too happy when I found out it wasn't possible with the existing SDK.

Let's hope it becomes possible with the PDK.
    I'm not laughing in that way! With an equalizer and some way to send out video, I could totally kick my iPod to the curb!!! My phone doesn't sound that great in the car and I really don't want to re-rip my music at the moment, so an equalizer would be AWESOME!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    So what things are you waiting for to release the app? Will webOS 1.4 do it? Or will that still not allow you to release this app?

Really, I don't understand Palm. An app like this will help SELL the Pre/Pixi. Just like how Apple/AT&T show apps written by other people in their, "There's an app for that" ads.
    I agree! I believe you could easily sell this app for $10-$25! I paid that much for some of the more advanced media programs for Palm OS.

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  19.    #659  
    It will be a while before I can even look into doing the EQ. I'll have to see this PDK before I can even think about it.

I wouldn't charge more than $5 for the app. Palm OS apps were way too expensive.
    just release it to homebrew already. Trial version whatever the case maybe. I can stand the choppy, laggy, music player. Even Music Remix is laggy and choppy as hell.