Page 29 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Marky, I didn't mean anything insulting by it. I would consider it technically a mod as the core functionality is Palm code and he just modified it and added some features.
    I think the word "hack" was a bit harsh too. I'm not sure I agree with the description of "mod" either, but that's much better than "hack"!

I would be surprised if Palm allowed Dan to release the remix as a paid app as it a direct copyright infringement.
    I've talked with a Palm representative and they are ok with it. I applaud Palm on their openness which is evident by the development platform they've chosen and their support of the homebrew/patching/theming community.

As far as me only showing demos, I am simply not comfortable doing completely open development. I am a professional software developer by trade and I simply prefer to do things the way that most software companies do. We are currently running a good, private beta testing program. Many of the participants are from the PreCentral community.
    I think people need to be less critical of Blubble's choice to develop the app privately. My next app is also being developed privately. I'm not sure how I'll handle beta testing...but it may be similar to Blubble's approach. Although I may decide to release it as a homebrew trial. But the point is, it's his choice...so for those coming down on him...chill out already.
  2.    #562  
    Sorry man. I didn't mean that in a negative connotation. I've always spoken well of your efforts to improve that piece of **** that Palm gave its customers. I just call it a mod because it isn't a "from scratch" app. It doesn't take away from the fact that your Remix is much better than the stock app.

Palm really ought to be ashamed that two guys working in their spare time came up with Remix and NaNplayer. I realize they have a lot on their plate, but I find immensely stupid that they release the phone with an awful music player and then won't even let third party developers use the existing APIs to produce better apps. The "we're going to change the API someday" excuse is pure BS.
    Sorry man. I didn't mean that in a negative connotation. I've always spoken well of your efforts to improve that piece of **** that Palm gave its customers. I just call it a mod because it isn't a "from scratch" app. It doesn't take away from the fact that your Remix is much better than the stock app.
    No problem.

Palm really ought to be ashamed that two guys working in their spare time came up with Remix and NaNplayer. I realize they have a lot on their plate, but I find immensely stupid that they release the phone with an awful music player and then won't even let third party developers use the existing APIs to produce better apps. The "we're going to change the API someday" excuse is pure BS.
    I agree that releasing a music player that lacks basic features was not the best move on their part especially considering they're trying to compete with other smartphone platforms like the iPhone and Android that have better media players. But I think if they were going to get back in the game, they had to come out with their device & platform regardless of whether the media player was up to par.

I can tell you're bitter about their decision to not open up the APIs right away, but I think the reason is that they're not finalized. As you well know, they're quite limited in what they provide. I'm guessing/hoping that Palm is working on improving their media service and will release the APIs once they feel they're ready.
  4.    #564  
    I am not really bitter, but definitely a little frustrated. Still, I knew going in that they might not accept NaNplayer. I took a chance and even though I have to wait, it's not a big deal. I have just been adding in all the advanced features now that were originally planned as post-release updates.

Even though they didn't accept it, I got a ton of free publicity from all the blogs that picked up the preview videos and then the "controversy". Frankly, I didn't expect all the noise that was made about the the whole thing. I just posted a comment in the forums about the rejection and the fact that I thought it was a stupid move.

All the blogs and sites that published those stories did so without any input from me. In fact, I never planned for even the preview videos to be so widely seen. They were just meant for the forum members that were following this thread.

Some sites had already run stories about the preview videos, but big sites like Engadget didn't pick up the story until Palm rejected the app and all hell broke loose. Those articles have gotten distributed on literally hundreds of tech sites. Now, it will be easy to get all the major tech sites like Engadget, SlashGear, etc. to run articles when the app finally does get released. So I basically made out pretty well from all the hubbub.
    ur app is the killer persuation for me, anyways i have had a sony ericcson w810i for 4 years ( and a 5 months stint with the god aweful iphone 3G) so wiating for me istn a problem. i might get a pre then, if its deffo going to the pre first.

still

much love for both you and Dan for doing what you do. IMO two of the most respected developers out there.
    @6tr6tr,

They haven't made the APIs available that let an app see what songs are on the phone.
    That's ridiculous! It makes no sense to me why they don't update these things immeadiately and push them out in small updates. This is such a SIMPLE fix.
  7.    #567  
    Well, their supposed reason is that they don't want the apps to break whenever they get around to expanding the music indexing API. To a degree, that is a valid concern, but the same thing happens with any operating system.

Luckily, Palm just announced that they will give developers advance previews of OS updates so that we can update our apps before the new OS versions are released to the public. This pretty much makes their reason for not allowing apps to use the music indexing API baseless. I could update the indexing code in NaNplayer very easily as it is completely encapsulated in a class. I would have to change just one JSJSJS $file$ $and$ $be$ $done$.

It's time for Palm to start opening most of the undocumented APIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    That's ridiculous! It makes no sense to me why they don't update these things immeadiately and push them out in small updates. This is such a SIMPLE fix.
    The API exists on the device, Palm however feels it's not ready for primetime, so it is an undocumented API. And according to Palm's Terms using undocumented APIs is not allowed as they could break the functionality at any time with an update. Which forces the developer to make a fix as soon as the update gets pushed. And looking at the poor turn-around time for app updates from Palm, I can somewhat understand their reasoning. Who wants to have a player they paid for be broken for a month to a month and a half because of something Palm did? Palm really needs to get on the ball with getting app updates on to the app catalog quicker.
    Just like its the games which make a console, apps and the added functionality it provides really makes a phone. And you sir, blubble, have done just that, keep up the good work
    Well, their supposed reason is that they don't want the apps to break whenever they get around to expanding the music indexing API. To a degree, that is a valid concern, but the same thing happens with any operating system.

Luckily, Palm just announced that they will give developers advance previews of OS updates so that we can update our apps before the new OS versions are released to the public. This pretty much makes their reason for not allowing apps to use the music indexing API baseless. I could update the indexing code in NaNplayer very easily as it is completely encapsulated in a class. I would have to change just one JSJSJS $file$ $and$ $be$ $done$.

It's time for Palm to start opening most of the undocumented APIs.
    Actually, that's not correct. They will give developers who already have an app in the app catalog a preview of updates. So you would not get a preview. Read more at developer.palm.com but here's the quote:

...we are setting up a way for developers with apps in the catalog to have access to upcoming releases of the software to test compatibility of their application...
    I'd take this released as-is in the 9/01/09 Video. Looks fantastic.
  12.    #572  
    Well that sucks. I am going to call my Palm rep on Monday to see if they will at least give me a heads up before they finally open up the media API so I can make the necessary changes to NaNplayer and get it ready for release.
  13.    #573  
    @Conor,

Thanks. It's already way beyond what you saw in those videos and I am still adding lots more features.
    To be frank, then why haven't you released it?

Music Player Remix is nice and all, but this far and away blows any other music player in the cell phone market out of the water.

Call it Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, 0.0.1, I don't care. I just want it yesterday.

(This is all with the subtext of: You're the dev, it's up to you, and whenever it is released I will be happy. I'd just recommend sooner vs. later. )
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    "Developers, developers, developers"

Blubble, you have unique circumstances and Palm knows about it. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem hooking you up. Chuq is handling it, it's not like Palm's developer relations is some massive corporate entity. I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you. I'm sure they want a better media player on their platform asap. (Remix not included because I don't see that ever getting official distribution)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    To be frank, then why haven't you released it?

Music Player Remix is nice and all, but this far and away blows any other music player in the cell phone market out of the water.

Call it Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, 0.0.1, I don't care. I just want it yesterday.

(This is all with the subtext of: You're the dev, it's up to you, and whenever it is released I will be happy. I'd just recommend sooner vs. later. )
    Conor,
    Blubble wants to SELL it not share it.
    If Palm had accepted it into the app catalog several weeks ago then you'd already have a paid copy in your possession.
    Sad that such a great app is out there and no one can use it
    anything new in the nanplayer world?
    +1.....Blubble? Did you fall off a cliff? If not what happened to NaN player? If yes, could you please give the caretaker of your estate permission to posthumously distribute NaN player via preware soon.

I'm sure at this point, most webos users have never even heard of it. Be a shame if it was forgotten forever. Timing is everything, and I'm afraid it may have passed you by.
    please, don't let that happen.
    He is alive, and as far as I know still working on NaNplayer, just slowly. I received a PM from Blubble today infact.

I will quote Mae West (famous sex symbol of an earlier time): "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."