Page 28 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132333878 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I am curious why you are going such the closed route instead of doing it how so many other developers are doing it. Post a version, let people use it and give feedback while you are updating the app. Keep doing that over and over until you have a good stable version with the features you want. I suppose one reason could be to keep the competition from seeing what you have before your fully ready. I would think that beta tester feedback would be a very valuable asset.

With that said, get busy and keep working Looking forward to some real player competition.
    What competition?!? I don't see any other Music Apps like this besides the Remix version of the stock. DanPLC has done an awesome job and it is much more cooler than the stock, but nowhere near the quality of NaN. Let him work it out the way he wants. We need good devs for the pre.
    Hey, thanks for developing this app..... I hate that the basic app takes so long to load among other things. One ? for ya.... will there be a feature that allows you to boost the volume of the track? Currently the pre doesn't match .mp3 volumes when I listen back. It's really annoying to not get the correct volume level.... Thanks again.....
  3.    #543  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I am curious why you are going such the closed route instead of doing it how so many other developers are doing it. Post a version, let people use it and give feedback while you are updating the app. Keep doing that over and over until you have a good stable version with the features you want. I suppose one reason could be to keep the competition from seeing what you have before your fully ready. I would think that beta tester feedback would be a very valuable asset.

With that said, get busy and keep working Looking forward to some real player competition.
    Hi SirWill,

I prefer a more controlled development process. I have always developed software in this way and I am not entirely comfortable with conducting an open, public beta.

We are conducting an ongoing beta test program with a good number of testers. I have been adding a lot of new features and the tester feedback has been invaluable.
  4.    #544  
    Just a quick update for the rest of you.

Since I am stuck waiting for Palm to get their act together with the media APIs, I have been adding a lot of new features to NaNplayer that will make it far and away the most powerful and flexible music player for webOS. You will be able to manage and enjoy your music with complete freedom.

Users will get features they'd normally expect from desktop programs like iTunes and Windows Media Player. Obviously, there are limitations to the webOS javascript model that make some things like an EQ impossible, but users will be blown away by the depth of features they will find in the finished app. Heck, even the beta testers haven't seen some of the coolest new features, but they love the ones they've seen so far.

NaNplayer will be well worth the wait.
    great to hear bubble, really looking forward to it.
    There are four lights.
    will you ever release nanplayer for android?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    sooo.. i don't know if you've already answered this.. but is there an approximate date or timeframe we'll see the player? i want it.. i want it baaaaad! lol
  8.    #548  
    @shaffaaf27,

I don't know yet. I am not too familiar with the Android app market, so I don't know if a market exists for NaNplayer for Andriod. I will definitely be developing for Android though. I'll be picking up a Samsung Moment next month to have a test phone.

Did you pick up a Pre from O2?
  9.    #549  
    @d.moss,

The App Catalog release date really depends on Palm getting their media APIs finalized.
    I will probably release a trial version for the homebrew gallery at some point before that.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    @d.moss,

The App Catalog release date really depends on Palm getting their media APIs finalized.
    I will probably release a trial version for the homebrew gallery at some point before that.
    Will you use Palm's direct distribution method to side-step the App Catalog? By the sounds of it, it seems that would enable you to offer NaNPlayer even without them actually approving the app.
    kind of sucks knowing their is this great music app out there that seems ready for primetime, or atleast a beta and we cant use. no offense thanks for the handwork and the choice is yours it just seems like a waste
    @shaffaaf27,

I don't know yet. I am not too familiar with the Android app market, so I don't know if a market exists for NaNplayer for Andriod. I will definitely be developing for Android though. I'll be picking up a Samsung Moment next month to have a test phone.

Did you pick up a Pre from O2?

that all depends on this app IMO.

if the paid version hits the pre first, ill go pre, if android, then android.

your app is IMO the killer app for me.

and im waiting for parity with the firmwares for the pre as the UK only has 1.1.3, and palm has stated november where world wide the FW versions will be in sync.

IF by that time the Sony Erricsson X3 (android) or HTC Dragon (android) comes out, im gonna be dumbfounded as to what to get, and it comes down to your app
    What do they mean by they don't support 'music file indexing'? Can you give some more detail on what it is they're not allowing?
  14.    #554  
    @6tr6tr,

They haven't made the APIs available that let an app see what songs are on the phone. It's pathetic that this functionality isn't available to developers at this point. There is actually an existing API that does just this, but Palm doesn't let developers use it because they supposedly will change it someday. That is the only reason NaNplayer isn't in the App Catalog right now.

In the meantime, users get stuck using the awful stock app or the remix mod. According to the beta testers, NaNplayer is dramatically faster than either of those optimons. Also, NaNplayer has way more features than either of those two and I am adding lots more advanced features. With the exception of an EQ and a visualizer, NaNplayer will have most of the features you'd normally see in a desktop app like Windows Media Player or iTunes. It's a shame that Palm is holding up the works.

If Palm doesn't quickly and dramatically improve the APIs and tools available, a lot of serious, professional developers are going to give up on the platform. After NaNplayer is released, I will be primarily focusing on Android development. That isn't to say that I won't write more apps for WebOS, but it won't be my primary platform of choice.
    Last edited by Blubble; 10/29/2009 at 12:32 PM.
  15.    #555  
    @Libb,

Sorry for not answering sooner. I hadn't been checking the thread lately.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to use the direct distribution method either. That requires that the developer self certify the app. The rules specifically preclude the use of undocumented APIs. I could publish it that way, but they'd just take it down.
  16.    #556  
    @Ceeej,

I may release a limited trial version for homebrew. However, the full version with most of the advanced features will have to wait for the app catalog.
  17.    #557  
    @shaffaaf27,

Please don't make your decisions based on NaNplayer. If you want a Pre, by all means get one. NaNplayer will be out eventually and in the meantime, you can use the remix mod. It doesn't have near the features of NaNplayer, but it will get you by in the meantime.

I am not sure if I will be putting out a player for Android. I will consider it when I am done with the WebOS version. There are some pretty good players out there already if you decide to go with Android.
    @6tr6tr,
    In the meantime, users get stuck using the awful stock app or the remix hack.
    Many of us are looking forward to your app and glad to hear development has been going well. However, you may not have meant it this way but your comment about Remix is unfair, IMO. Yes, it's been developed to deal with the limitations of the built-in app, but I don't feel "stuck" using it nor do I consider it a "hack". I'm just glad DanPLC has allowed it to be developed in public so we have a good alternative. That's no slam on how you've chosen to handle NaNplayer development, but at least he has given us something more than peeks.
  19.    #559  
    Marky, I didn't mean anything insulting by it. I would consider it technically a mod as the core functionality is Palm code and he just modified it and added some features.

However, that isn't a bad thing. The stock app is a real piece of crap and taking that into consideration, it looks like Dan has done a good job. Unfortunately, the mod is written on top of a slow and very limited code base, so unless the entire audio playback and song list code is completely redone from scratch, it will continue to be that way.

That is why I've written NaNplayer completely from scratch. Also, I want to it to be completely original code, so that I own all the rights to it. I would be surprised if Palm allowed Dan to release the remix as a paid app as it a direct copyright infringement.

In any case, Pre users should be grateful to Dan for his hard work and if they use the mod a lot , they should consider donating.

As far as me only showing demos, I am simply not comfortable doing completely open development. I am a professional software developer by trade and I simply prefer to do things the way that most software companies do. We are currently running a good, private beta testing program. Many of the participants are from the PreCentral community.
    Last edited by Blubble; 10/29/2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Thanks for the clarification . On your development choice/style, no need for explanation. I think you've addressed that clearly, and repeatedly, in the past. The last thing we need is for you to keep defending a sound decision when you could be programming that bad-boy . Keep up the good work.