Page 27 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777 ... LastLast
  1.    #521  
    @cubanguy,

I appreciate your offer, but I'd rather just wait to have folks pay for the final release version. I don't think it would be right to charge people for an app that is still being tested and further developed. Don't get me wrong. The app works well, but since I have some extra time, there are a bunch of features I want to add. Money is not a big issue with this project. I plan to eventually charge a small price for it, but that can wait. If it doesn't eventually get into the app catalog, I will create a donation link, but for now I don't plan on taking them.

Thank you though.

B
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    @cubanguy,

I appreciate your offer, but I'd rather just wait to have folks pay for the final release version. I don't think it would be right to charge people for an app that is still being tested and further developed. Don't get me wrong. The app works well, but since I have some extra time, there are a bunch of features I want to add. Money is not a big issue with this project. I plan to eventually charge a small price for it, but that can wait. If it doesn't eventually get into the app catalog, I will create a donation link, but for now I don't plan on taking them.

Thank you though.

B
    So, here's the deal... i've been following this a little for a while now, and i can't wait for this to come out. when are you going to release it? are you waiting for it to be accepted into the catalog? because the remixed player wasn't...? and I'm sure that if you're going to charge anyway, a lot of people would be willing to pay for it now and simply update it as it came (as we've been doing with most repository apps) I want this music player, is basically what i'm saying here
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Look, basically, blubble has stated that he will release his program when he's ready. It's his brainchild, and when it's ready to be released into the wild, it will be. When > he < feels it's ready, not someone else. Stop pestering the poor guy.

Palm did not accept it into the App Catalog because it uses an undocumented API. This (API status) CAN change, and hopefully it will, soon. Music Player Remixed probably won't be in the App Catalog (you CAN get it HERE), because it's a mod of the Palm app, not an original work.

I want this app too, but I've done development too, so I know that users clamoring for a release is not the right thing to do. It's distracting. Kind of like the villagers, with their torches and pitchforks, clamoring at the gates of Frankensteins castle... So I don't do it... So just take a deep breath, and relax. Patience is a virtue...

Regards,

-JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    It's distracting. Kind of like the villagers, with their torches and pitchforks, clamoring at the gates of Frankensteins castle... So I don't do it... So just take a deep breath, and relax. Patience is a virtue...

Regards,

-JerryG
    Agreed, the last thing we need is a frankenapp that does all sorts of nastiness to our phones

Looking forward to the eventual release, as the stock music app sucks - and the same things that make it a PITA to use are carried over to remix (no offense intended, its the nature of the stock player), despite it being a significant improvement over the basic UI.

I know that personally, it would be great to have some simple means of skipping tracks.. like using the 'silver button', because on a motorcycle, with gloves on, theres no way for me to skip a track without doing something stupid (using phone while on MC!) and without playlist ability, I cant omit those tracks either. No bigger down than flying down a windy road listening to guns and roses, or ac/dc, or CCR, and then BAM 'dust in the wind' or 'bridge over troubled water'. makes me want to just yank the earbuds out from under my helmet! haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    I know that personally, it would be great to have some simple means of skipping tracks.. like using the 'silver button', because on a motorcycle, with gloves on, theres no way for me to skip a track without doing something stupid (using phone while on MC!)
    By the "silver button", I think you mean the center button. There's no way for an app to make use of this button (according to the guys on the Palm Dev forums), so this is not an option for skipping tracks.

But even if you could, I don't think handling your phone in any way is safe while riding a motorcycle. The only semi-safe option would be using a headset with built-in controls.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/27/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    If the phone is in a handlebar mount, it's not reallly a big deal to push a button on it... just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    If the phone is in a handlebar mount, it's not reallly a big deal to push a button on it... just sayin'.
    I didn't realize they made those for motorcycles. That wouldn't be too bad.

But still, the center button cannot be controlled by apps. But a possible solution would be to use a homebrew app like "NoDoz" which keeps the display on at all times, and then just tap the screen to pause/play and swipe to switch songs. I haven't used NoDoz myself, but assuming it works, I think it would be a decent solution for those who have handlebar mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I didn't realize they made those for motorcycles. That wouldn't be too bad.

But still, the center button cannot be controlled by apps. But a possible solution would be to use a homebrew app like "NoDoz" which keeps the display on at all times, and then just tap the screen to pause/play and swipe to switch songs. I haven't used NoDoz myself, but assuming it works, I think it would be a decent solution for those who have handlebar mounts.
    With gloves on, touching the screen wont work. With the phone attached to my tool bag strap, in its rocketfish holster, I can hit the button. I can even hit that button with the phone in a pocket, or when strapped to the back of a hand, etc etc etc.

Even finding the wire for earbuds with gloves/helmet on is not safely possible. Even if I did find it, I would then have to feel for a button... not an easy task with gloves on Hitting a button I can do.

I mentioned the center button because in the video recording thread, someone mentioned they made their own app that uses that button for start/stop.

Im not sure if it is, or will ever be possible, was just saying it would be nice.

The flylists are great, but when you ride for 7-8 hrs at a shot, its quite a lengthy playlist and although it works, quite nicely I might add, its just not fast/friendly IMO. I do use remix in place of the stock app though!
    With gloves on, touching the screen wont work. With the phone attached to my tool bag strap, in its rocketfish holster, I can hit the button. I can even hit that button with the phone in a pocket, or when strapped to the back of a hand, etc etc etc.
    You can tell I'm such a motorcycle expert.

Yeah I guess using the touchscreen with gloves wouldn't work. However, doing a quick search on google produced a few results for gloves that are designed to work with capacitive touchscreens.

I mentioned the center button because in the video recording thread, someone mentioned they made their own app that uses that button for start/stop.
    I asked in the Palm Dev forums whether it was possible to control the center button in the app, and they all indicated it was not possible. Reason being is that this is the only OS hard button and letting apps access it would not be a good idea.

If someone was able to control this button, I'm guessing they somehow hacked the OS itself.

The flylists are great, but when you ride for 7-8 hrs at a shot, its quite a lengthy playlist and although it works, quite nicely I might add, its just not fast/friendly IMO. I do use remix in place of the stock app though!
    The problem is the only other hardware buttons on the phone are the volume keys (which wouldn't work) and the keyboard keys. The keyboard keys seem like they would be a bit too small to be able to hit even if an app mapped certain keys to be able to control the music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    You can tell I'm such a motorcycle expert.

Yeah I guess using the touchscreen with gloves wouldn't work. However, doing a quick search on google produced a few results for gloves that are designed to work with capacitive touchscreens.

I asked in the Palm Dev forums whether it was possible to control the center button in the app, and they all indicated it was not possible. Reason being is that this is the only OS hard button and letting apps access it would not be a good idea.

If someone was able to control this button, I'm guessing they somehow hacked the OS itself.

The problem is the only other hardware buttons on the phone are the volume keys (which wouldn't work) and the keyboard keys. The keyboard keys seem like they would be a bit too small to be able to hit even if an app mapped certain keys to be able to control the music player.
    My hatred of apple just went up a notch :
    Apple files patent on iPhone gloves to keep your hands warm - Ars Technica

So I wont be buying any iphone friendly gloves, dont need royalties going to the wrong company but I digress..

It is quite likely he hacked the OS to make it work, again, was more of a wish than anything. If wishes were horses..

Yeah, keyboard keys would be hard to accurately manipulate, but if they were ALL mapped to 'skip track' I could at least mash the open keyboard and accomplish something of course.. I would probably have to turn on nodoze for that to work. Good thing I take a DC power source along for the ride

might just have to hack up a set of earbuds then and figure out what creates the signal to skip the track, and then wire that into some sort of bigass button, haha. Or just solder on a pair of more comfortable buds to the stock ones, why they shipped those dinner-plates on a rope I'll never know!
  11.    #531  
    @phreakish,

You might look into some bluetooth headphones. I am not really too familiar with the specific models, but I have heard that they exist.

NaNplayer can be controlled with most A2DP headsets. If you find a specific model that you'd like to test, I can arrange that with you.
    I was gonna suggest, bluetooth headphones are awesome. Automatic sync with music/calls. One touch pause/play/answer phone calls.

I have the motorolla HT820, not sure if they are still available since Motorolla is really pushing their new s9HD, which, imho, are tiny and I don't prefer earbuds.

But anyway, look into these, I heard Logitech has some real nice ones.
  13.    #533  
    Thanks SX,

Do you use that headset with a motorcycle helmet?

I saw the following product. It seems like an interesting option for the gadget loving rider.
    Blu Virtu Bluetooth Stereo Headset Communication System - webBikeWorld

In the interest of rider safety, I'd be happy to explore any options to make NaNplayer easier to use while riding. If any riders want to test a particular headset or helmet intercom(wired or BT) with NaNplayer, please let me know and we'll figure out how to make it work
    I have a set of BlueAnt X5i stereo BT headphones that I have been contemplating hacking into my helmet... already have speakers in the helmet. So far they work good with Pandora and other music players. I'm going to split the speaker wires out to a 1/8" stereo plug so I can test... if they work ok (sufficient volume), I'll tear them apart and mount/wire to helmet.
    Thanks SX,

Do you use that headset with a motorcycle helmet?
    hahahaha in my dreams. I do use it while riding my bike though...

No better feeling than off-roading on a mountain bike listening to GN'R and pressing one little button to answer a phone call real quick.
    Any updates, Blubble?

Anywword from Palm saying that they will let this app into the app store, even though they denied it?

Or when you were thinking of adding this to the Homebrew App Catelog (if you still plan on doing that)?

Can't wait to use a really good music player on my phone ^_^
  17.    #537  
    I am working on some new features. Some I won't mention yet, but I can tell you that we are currently testing a new dynamic playlist feature that I like even better than the static playlists that I've shown in the videos.

I haven't heard anything from Palm. We'll just have to wait for them to get their act together. Frankly, I really wish they release an sdk that allowed us to write compilable apps. This javascript business is getting old.

I will probably release a free trial version as homebrew. I want to get a little farther along in development before releasing it. I will keep you up to date.

Thanks,
    B
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I will probably release a free trial version as homebrew. I want to get a little farther along in development before releasing it. I will keep you up to date.

Thanks,
    B
    I am curious why you are going such the closed route instead of doing it how so many other developers are doing it. Post a version, let people use it and give feedback while you are updating the app. Keep doing that over and over until you have a good stable version with the features you want. I suppose one reason could be to keep the competition from seeing what you have before your fully ready. I would think that beta tester feedback would be a very valuable asset.

With that said, get busy and keep working Looking forward to some real player competition.
    What do they mean by they don't support 'music file indexing'? Maybe what I think of when I hear that term isn't right. If it means what I am thinking, they could not list music by genre or artist without doing it. What do you mean by music file indexing, and why do they not support it?

From what I have read, this sounds like a great app and well worth buying. I need to download and install all this software so I can check out some of these other homebrew apps.
    Just stopping by to thank you for sticking around and seeing this app through. To date, I have yet to see any webOS app impress me as the one you've got up your sleeve. It sux that you don't see much of a future with the WebOS platform, but it's nice to know that we'll eventually get something from you.